Magnum bolt action rifle thread.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:56 am

I didn't check to see if there was one already started. I wanted to get a bolt action rifle for hunting this year. I had that 16" barrel Remington 783 in 6.5 Creedmoor but ended up trading it to aquire a different firearm.

I went to a local gun shop here and I told the guy behind the counter what I was looking for. After looking at a dozen rifles and different magnum loads I decided to get a gently used Weatherby Vanguard with a beautiful wood stock. It's chambered in the classic 300 Weatherby MAG. Need to get some better glass on it but it should be a good shooter. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Magnum bolt action rifle thread.

Postby hard h2o on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:03 am

What are you going after?
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:35 am

That will wallop 'em!
Holland&Holland

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 pm

hard h2o wrote:What are you going after?

With that Weatherby Vanguard anything in North America.

Ideally it would be a great gun for a elk hunt out west which I would like to do next year if my cousin decides to go and I can get a tag.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:01 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:That will wallop 'em!

It's a beast of a magnum round. The rifle I feel in love with. The cost of the ammo was an after thought. Yikes.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 pm

Wow. Weatherby got back to me already. Emailed them this morning with the serial number to see how old the rifle was. They already got back to me. Image

Nice!

PHATSPEED7x

Postby crbutler on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:32 pm

Unless you are hunting past 600 yards, I wouldn’t use that Berger bullet ammo on elk or other really big stuff.

It should shoot really well, but will be too violently expansive for good results on big stuff. On deer, it will kill like the hammer of Thor, but most of the meat in the area near the shot will be a mess.

I’ve used a .300 RUM loaded to the same max velocity as the Weatherby round. It’s a good killer. (I use 180 grain AFrames at about 3250 FPS). Killed elk, Mountain Nyala, Sitatunga, Bushbuck, Hartebeest, and a few other things with it. They have a really good point blank range.

They do recoil pretty good as well!
crbutler

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:47 pm

crbutler wrote:Unless you are hunting past 600 yards, I wouldn’t use that Berger bullet ammo on elk or other really big stuff.

It should shoot really well, but will be too violently expansive for good results on big stuff. On deer, it will kill like the hammer of Thor, but most of the meat in the area near the shot will be a mess.

I’ve used a .300 RUM loaded to the same max velocity as the Weatherby round. It’s a good killer. (I use 180 grain AFrames at about 3250 FPS). Killed elk, Mountain Nyala, Sitatunga, Bushbuck, Hartebeest, and a few other things with it. They have a really good point blank range.

They do recoil pretty good as well!

It was the only 300 Weatherby MAG ammo he had in stock. Being a 210gr pill flying over 3000 fps they should thump pretty good.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:03 pm

Well I went back to the gun store today and bought the other rifle that I passed on for the Weatherby. He also had a Mauser M18 chambered in 7mm rem mag with a set of leupold 30mm scope rings attached to the rifle. I bought the rifle and 3 boxes of ammo. Came home and mounted a cheap Simmons scope I had with a 30mm tube. Ammo is definitely less money than the 300 Weatherby MAG.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 am

At $50 per box it is less money. You now need a 3rd rifle in say .308 for practice ammo prices!
Holland&Holland

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:51 am

Holland&Holland wrote:At $50 per box it is less money. You now need a 3rd rifle in say .308 for practice ammo prices!

Got the AR10 for 308WIN

PHATSPEED7x

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:15 am

I like the Rem 7MM mag. I bought one thirty years ago so I could hunt everything in the lower 48. Then I learned you can own more than one hunting rifle ha. But I've stuck with the 7mm for deer hunting. I'm particular about my shots, if you shoot them through the ribs you don't waste meat. The recoil is starting to get to me though. And I need something with a threaded barrel now.

My DW bought me a Winchester 70 in .338 Win Mag for a wedding present. I went on a Minnesota moose hunt a month after we were married. It brought me luck! I had bruises from sighting it in though.

Reloading will save you money on those magnum cartridges if you shoot very much at all.
Jackpine Savage

Postby crbutler on Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:12 am

The problem with Berger hunting bullets are that they are very soft, and are essentially repurposed target bullets.

They work within velocity and penetration constraints, and are quite accurate once you find the OAL that the rifle likes- which may require handloading if you are wedded to a certain bullet. Weight alone does not guarantee good results.

The Weatherby rounds, being essentially proprietary (yes, they are SAAMI now, but the vast majority are Weatherby rifles) means limited commercial ammo availability. The rifle IS a powerhouse, but to make it most effective, you need ammo tailored to your use. The Berger VLD bullets are high BC long range bullets. If your intent is to shoot game 600 yards plus out there, that load may well be your huckleberry; but at shorter distance and larger animals you will need a bullet that holds together to ensure adequate penetration. Nosler partition, swift a frame, or one of the monometal designs (like your 7mm RM) are better.

Now, my experience is that all a magnum gets you is more range. The .300 WBY is no better killer than the .30-06, except in the sense that your point blank range now is a lot longer, and it opens up more options for a shot as far as distance. I’ve killed elk with an 06 as easily as my .300, but if I want to be able to do raking shots on elk, or if I’m after moose or big bear, I go for a larger bullet instead of more velocity. Your .300 caliber has killed every game animal that walks the planet- before the establishment of good hunting regulations in Africa, folks killed elephant (using steel jacketed solids) with the .300 WBY. It will do for everything in NA. Other than ammo price and recoil, no reason to use the 7mm RM if you have the Weatherby. The 7 will work pretty much as well for North America, but I’d like more bullet for brown bear or moose.

Get a small bore varmint rifle (like a .243) and you have everything covered for North American big game hunting.
crbutler

Postby Stugotz on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:54 pm

crbutler wrote:Get a small bore varmint rifle (like a .243) and you have everything covered for North American big game hunting.

So your telling me you draw a lisc. to hunt brown/grizzly bears somewhere in North America and you will tote along a .243 for the task?!? Good luck with that... :roll:
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:06 pm

Stugotz wrote:
crbutler wrote:Get a small bore varmint rifle (like a .243) and you have everything covered for North American big game hunting.

So your telling me you draw a lisc. to hunt brown/grizzly bears somewhere in North America and you will tote along a .243 for the task?!? Good luck with that... :roll:

I think he is saying with the 3 together.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Long Guns