Question:Glass Bedding - Pillar Bedding Weatherby Vanguard

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Question:Glass Bedding - Pillar Bedding Weatherby Vanguard

Postby warrlac on Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:58 pm

When I fitted my Remington 700 action to a Bobby Hart laminate stock I did what I considered to be "glass bedding". I purchased a Wheeler glass bedding kit, relieved the stock a bit, used release agent, putty and tape. The end result was pretty satisfactory and I am using it today.

My question: I have a Weatherby Vanguard long action and am putting it into a synthetic Weatherby stock. What is the benefit of "Pillar Bedding"? It is obviously more involved, but what do the pillars do that the glass bedded receiver lug does not?

As far as I can tell, the pillars sort of keep the bottom plate and the receiver aligned well, but I don't see where they help much with recoil compared to a bedded lug. You certainly don't need any stress on the receiver screws and it seems like the pillars might contribute...

Anyone care to explain? Thanks!
warrlac

Re: Question:Glass Bedding - Pillar Bedding Weatherby Vanguard

Postby crbutler on Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:24 am

As I understand it, pillar bedding is to structurally attach the stock to the bedding. It provides a solid and repeatable place for the receiver to attach to. Most synthetic stocks are not solid pieces, but have metal blocks imbedded in them to attach the metal receiver to. It will make it so that the receiver can be evenly torqued in without slowly breaking parts of the stock.

Essentially it’s a different way to ensure repeatable attachment to the stock.

With most synthetic stocks, glass bedding isn’t going to attach well, and may chemically interact with the material, so glass bedding doesn’t work well there.

I’m not a gunsmith, but that’s my understanding of it.
crbutler

Return to Long Guns