Savage 99cd Series A - Loose Tang Safety Button /Thumb pc.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Savage 99cd Series A - Loose Tang Safety Button /Thumb pc.

Postby EJSG19 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:11 pm

I've got a Savage 99cd series A with a very loose tang safety button. It looks like there is a square shaped recess where some sort of square peg, wedge, or shim should be to keep the safety button from being so loose in the safety slide. Is there an actual part for that? I find no such part listed on any schematics I can find, but as is, you can lift the safety button almost 1/8'' off of the receiver tang. The thumb button won't actually fall out seemingly, but it isn't anywhere close to a reasonable amount of play.

Any help very appreciated! S/N of the gun is D0018XX and a guess is its about 1979. I'm not sure how the safety assembly and button are disassembled as this is a new to me gun and I've got some learning to do yet, but I wonder if it came to me missing a part.

The entire safety assembly actually functions well, but there's got to be something missing and my google fu hasn't been able to track down a part, video, or otherwise.

If somebody has some clarity I would sure appreciate it.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Re: Savage 99cd Series A - Loose Tang Safety Button /Thumb pc.

Postby 870TC on Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:21 am

been awhile since I had one apart... but as I recall there is a screw that comes from below and connects a safety actuator bar(forget the real name.) to the bottom of the safety. remove stock to gain access and tighten.
870TC

Re: Savage 99cd Series A - Loose Tang Safety Button /Thumb pc.

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:54 am

870TC wrote:been awhile since I had one apart... but as I recall there is a screw that comes from below and connects a safety actuator bar(forget the real name.) to the bottom of the safety. remove stock to gain access and tighten.

I wish that were the case on this one. Maybe some 99's were different but this tang safety is just a square hole in the safety slide (internal action part) and a male square with rails on the bottom of the safety thumb button. It needs a little slop in it to actually go together and come apart but this one is ridiculous. I've found a couple guys on another forum that are indicating when they've checked multiple thumb buttons side by side, the tolerances vary quite a bit. So sounds like it's either attempt to modify this button or try another one until everything is acceptable.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Return to Long Guns