Pistol grip on shotgun

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Pistol grip on shotgun

Postby ComradeBurg on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Can you go pistol grip on a shotgun? As already answered yes. Should you? That depends really.

If you plan on shooting your shotgun any decent amount that pistol grip isn't going to be fun. Even if you throw on a collapsable stock it's not going to be even a tenth as nice to shoot as one with a regular stock on it. If you don't plan on shooting it much and are doing it more for fun go ahead I guess.
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby hornswaggle on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:04 pm

I say go ahead and cut that stock and tell us what you think!

Here is some interesting ammo that you might like to try:
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/12gaugeammo.html

I'm particularly interested in the flachette darts or the pirahna rounds.... :)
Kevin

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, Always control the muzzle, Know your target and what is beyond it...

Either you like bacon or you're wrong....
hornswaggle

Postby 1911fan on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:53 pm

I have a top fold and a plain pistol grip sitting inthe parts boxes that you can try on an 870 its fun two or three times, then the fun starts to hurt
1911fan

Postby Tutmos on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 am

So the law in MN isn't 19" barrel? Just overall 26" length? Is that from barrel tip to end of the receiver or stock? I have a folding stock on mine as was just about to get the barrel cut down to 19". I would like to go as short as I can while remaining legal and not having to register it as a SBS.
Tutmos

Postby 1911fan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:57 am

Federal law is 16 inches on nominal rifles, and 18 inches on shotguns. (that nominal bit was added sometime ago to prevent a rifle barreled shotgun from using a 16 inch rifled slug barrel and being called a legal rifle.) If you are cutting down a barrel, the feds will measure by closing the action and measuring off the bolt face when the action is locked. It does not matter if there is a 4 inch long barrel lug that fits into the action, it is the distance between the bolt face when locked, and the muzzle. For safety, the easiest way is to use a dowel or other rod as a reference. You would be wise to never go shorter than 18.5" or so, because you may have a different ruler than they use. That half inch of extra length may keep you out of the big house.
1911fan

Postby Lastgunshop on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:11 am

Here is my PG Shotgun. Rem-870 12.5" BBL.
P1140003.JPG
Lastgunshop

Postby Paul on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:14 am

Lastgunshop wrote:Here is my PG Shotgun. Rem-870 12.5" BBL.

That's a sharp looking gun... If only we could all have that class 3! ;)
Paul

Postby hammAR on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:37 am

1911fan wrote:Federal law is 16 inches on nominal rifles, and 18 inches on shotguns. (that nominal bit was added sometime ago to prevent a rifle barreled shotgun from using a 16 inch rifled slug barrel and being called a legal rifle.) If you are cutting down a barrel, the feds will measure by closing the action and measuring off the bolt face when the action is locked. It does not matter if there is a 4 inch long barrel lug that fits into the action, it is the distance between the bolt face when locked, and the muzzle. For safety, the easiest way is to use a dowel or other rod as a reference. You would be wise to never go shorter than 18.5" or so, because you may have a different ruler than they use. That half inch of extra length may keep you out of the big house.

...I would suppose that Randy Weaver would suggest 19", as 1/4 " difference can cost you a lot.......... :o
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:38 am

P1140003.JPG

So how does this work with the 18" restriction? Special permit of somesort or ? Courious.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lastgunshop on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 am

user842 wrote:

That's a sharp looking gun... If only we could all have that class 3! ;)

You don't need a Class II or III to own one. :o
Lastgunshop

Postby Lastgunshop on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
P1140003.JPG

So how does this work with the 18" restriction? Special permit of somesort or ? Courious.

Give me a call at the shop. 612-827-3832
Lastgunshop

Postby Tutmos on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 am

Needs to be registerred as an SBS with BTAF if I remember correctly. Might also need a tax stamp.
Tutmos

Postby Lastgunshop on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:40 am

Tutmos wrote:Needs to be registerred as an SBS with BTAF if I remember correctly. Might also need a tax stamp.

Only if it has a stock on it that would be a S.B.S Tax is $ 200.00............PG is a A.O.W. and that is a $ 5.00 tax.
Lastgunshop

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Tutmos wrote:Needs to be registerred as an SBS with BTAF if I remember correctly. Might also need a tax stamp.

In Minnesota you can only transfer a SBS if its a Curio or Relic (ie old) firearm such as a Marbles Game-Getter or Ithaca Auto & Burglar gun. You can get an AOW style shotgun, however, which are manufactured from stripped receivers that have never been used to make a shotgun with a stock. Once the receiver has been used to make a standard shotgun it can never be used to make an AOW.

Most guys like Serbu buy receivers directly from Remington or Mossberg and turn them into AOW guns. That makes them quite a bit more expensive than cut down shotguns.

If you really want to go short, try one of these:

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby tweener on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:53 pm

I read up on this awhile ago, and from what I read, when you MANUFACTURE a Pistol griped short barrled shotgun (called an AOW "any other weapon") thre is a $200 or something fee when manufacturing it, then $5 or something for each transfer....

so don't go thinking you can take your shot gun, and put a 10 inch barrel and a PG and only pay $5.......You have just manufactured a AOW and will owe $200 something.......and don't ever add a shoulder stock, because then it is no longer an AOW and is now a SBS!

(correct me if I am wrong)....
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns