New (used) H&K P7

Discussion of handguns

Re: New (used) H&K P7

Postby Dorian on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:55 pm

David wrote:People named Dorian, anyway. Oh, did I tell you I finally picked up a P9S? My HK collection is nearly complete!

Well where are the pictures!!
And what could you be missing??

Dorian
"The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)"
Dorian

Postby David on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:39 am

Well, I don't have an SP89 or a P30. Not super interested in the SP89, but I have been kicking around the idea of a P30 V3. That DAO drives me batty so the DA/SA is a must.

Now I just have to get that P9 trigger worked on! The overtravel is ridiculous.
David

Postby Dorian on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 pm

David,

How can you not have an SP89, it is the best for an SBR. :twisted:
Are you looking at a P30 or a P30L?
On the P9 did you get a target or combat model? 9mm or 45?

See you at the range sometime,
Dorian
"The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)"
Dorian

Postby NDB_MN on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:47 pm

P7s are an amazing design. I love the P7M13 I have on loan from my father in law right now.

I have NO idea why HK stopped this line. So many really great unique ideas in this gun. Every time I look at the HK "USP"-based pistols a part of me just sighs and wonders what could have been if they'd based them off of the P7 instead.
NDB_MN

Postby Dorian on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:30 am

NDB_MN wrote:P7s are an amazing design. I love the P7M13 I have on loan from my father in law right now.

I have NO idea why HK stopped this line. So many really great unique ideas in this gun. Every time I look at the HK "USP"-based pistols a part of me just sighs and wonders what could have been if they'd based them off of the P7 instead.

NDB_MN,

You have a very nice father in law.

The demise of the P7 was pure economics.
It cost too much to make all that metal, when plastic designs are much less expensive to produce.
Also it is my understanding that the gas retardation recoil system was not as compatible with polymer design.

How ever it has been done with out great success, Al la the Wilson Combat ADP combines the gas retardation recoil system with a striker fired triger; http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_adp.asp

Dorian
Dorian

Postby richark1 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Wow, didn't realize there were other Minnesotans that enjoyed the P7 as much as me. Excellent!
richark1

Postby VikesFan1 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:58 pm

richark1 wrote:Wow, didn't realize there were other Minnesotans that enjoyed the P7 as much as me. Excellent!

I like it for its renouned accuracy, and because it's a H&K, but I don't own one :(
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby mrokern on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 am

Rodentman wrote:I have read that brass from the P7 may not be reloadable due to the fluted chamber. Any views on this? That is assuming I can find the brass after it falls from orbit.

Looks like someone cleaned the piston, no? Came this way-I haven't fired it yet. Also I heard some people soak the piston in Hoppes #9. Doesn't seem readily removable to me..........

That looks pretty darn new. Once firing it, you're not going to get it back to that without disobeying the manual.

I think a lot of the folks who are anal about a shiny gas piston are the same folks who believe they need to clean out their gas tubes on an AR-15. :whatever:

-Mark
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby Rodentman on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 pm

I'll CLEAN the piston but I don't expect it to look new. I think that piston is new. Frankly, after I test fired it before sending it to Robar the piston took on some blackening even after cleaning. I don't care what the piston looks like as long as it is functional.

I don't know if the piston will be treated with the NP3. I suspect not.

Guess in a couple of months we'll find out.......
Rodentman

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:21 am

The PSP (P7) has become my first (and only) carry gun. That's only because I can't hide the MG-42 under the trenchcoat. :mrgreen:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Postby JFettig on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:41 pm

Rodentman wrote:.... I know, no lead bullets and no reloads. ....

No reloads?
JFettig

Postby Rodentman on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:09 pm

I think I read or heard that somewhere, but it has already fired my reloads with no problems. John at GS looked at the spent brass and declared it suitable for reloading despite the fluted chamber. I'll stay away from lead, but jacketed and maybe plated bullets are ok.

I should have it back before Christmas.
Rodentman

Postby speedy396 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:40 pm

I also picked up a PSP awhile back. I haven't shot it much, but I did keep the brass to reload, but noticed the a slight bulge near the base of the flutes. If I remember correctly, the bulge was about .01" all the way around compared to brass out of my Glock. I was a little leery to try reloading it given the issues with Glocks and used brass. Never really confirmed if this was ok or may be an issue with the chamber in my gun. Just never found anyone with a lot of experience with these guns.
speedy396

Postby mrokern on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 am

Rodentman wrote:I'll CLEAN the piston but I don't expect it to look new. I think that piston is new. Frankly, after I test fired it before sending it to Robar the piston took on some blackening even after cleaning. I don't care what the piston looks like as long as it is functional.

I don't know if the piston will be treated with the NP3. I suspect not.

The blackening is absolutely normal. Not a problem in any way.

I doubt they'll treat it. HK did a damn good job on the design of that system, no need to muck with it.

-Mark
mrokern

Postby Rodentman on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:48 pm

I kept the brass from the P7 separate from the 9mm brass from my other guns. I'll reload it carefully and test it.
Rodentman

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns