Sig Sauer X5 - Competition or Level 1?

Discussion of handguns

Sig Sauer X5 - Competition or Level 1?

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 am

I decided that I am going to pick up a Sig X5. Probably not for competition, but more as a "toy" and because I think they are exquisite pieces. I've been looking for something ever since I sold my Springfield EMP.

I know that the difference between the two is the wood Nill grips and adjustable trigger, and about $600. Ideally I'd like to pick up the L1, the thought of a 2-3.5 pound trigger pull makes me giddy just thinking about it. But I have played with a Competition model, and that trigger is already outstanding.

My other question is should I look for a used one, or just bite the bullet (pun intended) and buy new? I've seen the Comp model between 1100 and 1400 used, and the L1 seems to be right around $2K.

I am leaning towards a used Competition model...
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Re: Sig Sauer X5 - Competition or Level 1?

Postby David on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 am

I've never had any fears about buying used guns, especially something like a SIG. It's not usually hard to determine whether something is wrong with them.

I have a friend who has both versions of the X5, and he says that the adjustable trigger is nice, but you'll probably set it once and never touch it again. Still, it's a nice feature!
David

Postby Inspiribomb on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 am

I broke down and bought a X5 Competition, should have it early next week :)
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:09 am

Inspiribomb wrote:I broke down and bought a X5 Competition, should have it early next week :)

That is as good as it gets.

I am a fair shot - you might ask around a bit and I shot a 226X5 Competition a few years ago for the sig rep - a test target offhand.

Well I am happy to report that at 15 yards (doesnt seem that far - but it is when you read on) 36 rounds through a ragged hole the size of a DIME OFFHAND - that gun is REDHICULOUS.

It is almost the perfect pistiol for competition and sport. I am envoius.

Best shooting gun that I have ever shot - period.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby 1911fan on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Hey peaknuckles. When you say off hand, you really mean using your left hand to pull the string on the ransom rest.
1911fan

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm

1911fan wrote:Hey peaknuckles. When you say off hand, you really mean using your left hand to pull the string on the ransom rest.

Yeah thats it.

Offhand means offhand.

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby sigsteve on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Good deal! You can always get yourself the Nils grips later for a couple hundred bucks. They're worth it though!
sigsteve

Postby Inspiribomb on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Got my X5 yesterday, wow! This thing is superbly crafted - fit and finish it top notch, and its buttery smooth. I can't wait to see what this thing will do :D
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:54 am

Inspiribomb wrote:Got my X5 yesterday, wow! This thing is superbly crafted - fit and finish it top notch, and its buttery smooth. I can't wait to see what this thing will do :D

I expect a full briefing.

I already know what you are going to say - "Holy Schiz" should about sum it all up.

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Inspiribomb on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Had a big range day planned up north, but had to cancel due to rain :x So had to settle for the local indoor range.

This is easily my favorite gun. I only put 100 rounds through it, but my goodness it is fun. It kicks like a 22, and is insanely accurate. I was having trouble seeing my tiny targets at 50', so could only muster 4" groups at that distance. At 21' I was shooting 1/2" to 1/4" groups (19 rounds); all offhand. I laugh every time I point at a target, and the hole is exactly where I want it to be.

I considerED myself a pretty decent shot, but Pinnacle, I can tell that I have some serious work to do. Your dime-sized groups at 15 yards is amazing, and I hope to be able to accomplish that someday.

After cleaning the gun and applying the Sig-supplied grease, the gun is even smoother than before. I also noticed that one of the aluminum magazine bases had some oxidization on it, so I polished it with some Mothers aluminum polish, it turned out great! The magwell is aluminum and looks dirty, but I'm unsure if I want to polish that as well. I'll post some pics later, and hopefully can get some opinions.

Knowing what I know now about this gun, I would gladly pay the new prices for this gun.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby JoeH on Sat May 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Wow! This gun is sweeeet! Give USPSA a try and shoot Limited-10. FYI, this gun is too heavy for IDPA competition.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Pinnacle on Sat May 01, 2010 3:06 pm

This gun is the best of the best out there right now.

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Inspiribomb on Sat May 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Here are some better pictures. I tried to improve the lighting so my pathetic digital camera would take a good sharp picture.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/I ... 000899.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/I ... 000900.jpg

Aaron
Inspiribomb

Return to Handguns