I receieved my permit to purchase but now a NICS?

Discussion of handguns

I receieved my permit to purchase but now a NICS?

Postby Rufusf on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:20 pm

I am new here. I applied for and received my PTP. I talked with a dealer and found out I would also have to go thru the NICS check. I think my questions are... Might a person get a PTP and then get turned down by NICS? If not, why does MN require the PTP and is your personal data collected from what seems to be a redundant process? Any help on this would be great.
Thanks,
Rufusf

Re: I receieved my permit to purchase but now a NICS?

Postby rtk on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:24 pm

:hmm:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Careful Fellas........

If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby photogpat on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 pm

It's highly suspect!
Attachments
tarp-30198.jpg
tarp-30198.jpg (41.28 KB) Viewed 4300 times
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Rufusf on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 pm

I probably should explain further. I called Joes Spoting goods and wanted a price. I told them I have the Permit to Puchase and they told me no problem but then I would have to pass the Fed NICS check. I thought the permit to purchase would be enough. Why would MN bother with the permit to purchase if the feds just do another check anyway?
Groucho (Obama)..(singing): "The last man nearly ruined this place, he didn't know what to do with it - if you think this country's bad off now, just wait till I get through with it!" Marx Brothers - Duck Soup.
Rufusf

Postby jgalt on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Rufusf wrote:I probably should explain further. I called Joes Spoting goods and wanted a price. I told them I have the Permit to Puchase and they told me no problem but then I would have to pass the Fed NICS check. I thought the permit to purchase would be enough. Why would MN bother with the permit to purchase if the feds just do another check anyway?

It's a good question, for which there is no logical or reasonable answer - other than because the MN state legislature could. I'm sure they had their reasons, but the PTP is indefensible...

Remember what you paid for this opinion... 8-)

Welcome to the forum.
jgalt

Postby ttousi on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:39 pm

NICS confirms the previous background check and ensures you haven't done anything since the check.

Worried about something? :hmm:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Rufusf on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks jgalt. I am just trying to make sense of this. From both requirements, it seems like total duplication, but when dealing with the gov mint, I guess that is what you get.
Groucho (Obama)..(singing): "The last man nearly ruined this place, he didn't know what to do with it - if you think this country's bad off now, just wait till I get through with it!" Marx Brothers - Duck Soup.
Rufusf

Postby Rufusf on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 pm

ttousi wrote:NICS confirms the previous background check and ensures you haven't done anything since the check.

Worried about something? :hmm:

Not worried. Your comment makes sense. Someone could exclude them from a purchase between the time they got their permit and when they actually purchase. Thanks, I get it........
Rufusf

Postby Rufusf on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Careful Fellas........

Thanks, I thought so but was wondering. Minnesota Law has alot of traps from what I have seen of it.
Rufusf

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Rufusf wrote:Thanks jgalt. I am just trying to make sense of this. From both requirements, it seems like total duplication, but when dealing with the gov mint, I guess that is what you get.

AND it will happen with every purchase you make.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby solidgun on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:50 am

I think this is a legitimate question. I am not sure why all the "trap" comments popped up (maybe an inside joke?).

I moved from states that do not have Permit to Purchase hassle. To a reasonable person, it makes sense as to why one needs this permit if they are going through background check.

I have filled out 100+ NICS forms. It is nothing to worry about and it is usually quick and painless. However, when I moved to MN, I was put on hold first few times for some reason. I even considered putting in the paperwork to have my fingerprints on file to get the special number. But that problem seem to have gone away.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby jgalt on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:39 am

solidgun wrote:To a reasonable person, it makes sense as to why one needs this permit if they are going through background check.

If you are defining "reasonable" as "irrational" or "incapable of seeing reason", then maybe I'll agree with the above assessment. Please do let us know what you mean, if you don't mind...
jgalt

Postby bensdad on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:50 am

I even considered putting in the paperwork to have my fingerprints on file to get the special number. But that problem seem to have gone away.

?
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Norsesmithy on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:55 am

solidgun wrote:I even considered putting in the paperwork to have my fingerprints on file to get the special number. But that problem seem to have gone away.

What are you talking about here? I've never heard of such a thing.
Norsesmithy

Next

Return to Handguns