I receieved my permit to purchase but now a NICS?

Discussion of handguns

Re: I receieved my permit to purchase but now a NICS?

Postby fatboy97 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:13 am

The only issue I've ever heard of, and it might be a STORY, is when someone looked they were purchasing their own arsenal... just buying what they thought was too many guns... don't know if that was true or not, but I've never heard of anyone that I knew that had an issue with the NICS check.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby VikesFan1 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:18 am

Norsesmithy wrote:
solidgun wrote:I even considered putting in the paperwork to have my fingerprints on file to get the special number. But that problem seem to have gone away.

What are you talking about here? I've never heard of such a thing.

I think he's referring to a ATF UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number). Supposedly having one will avoid delays and expedite the process. It's number 9 on the 4473.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby White Horseradish on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:31 am

IIRC, the permit pre-dates the NICS. They just never got rid of it once the NICS was instituted.

The permit is, of course, redundant. However, it is a useful CYA tool for the seller, kinda like a free NICS substitute. You might even argue it plugs the "gun show loophole". (I know, I know, it's not real, but still...)
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Norsesmithy on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 am

VikesFan1 wrote:
Norsesmithy wrote:
solidgun wrote:I even considered putting in the paperwork to have my fingerprints on file to get the special number. But that problem seem to have gone away.

What are you talking about here? I've never heard of such a thing.

I think he's referring to a ATF UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number). Supposedly having one will avoid delays and expedite the process. It's number 9 on the 4473.

So it's a federal thing, and not a state thing. I see.
Norsesmithy

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:03 am

VikesFan1 wrote:I think he's referring to a ATF UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number). Supposedly having one will avoid delays and expedite the process. It's number 9 on the 4473.
I have an ATF UPIN. I have a rather common name and someone with a name close to mine must be a very bad person. It doesn't speed things up much, if any. I've even been "delayed" with a UPIN number submission on my 4473. It's a PITA.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby FJ540 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 am

I always thought the PTP was to satisfy the brady bill cooling off period requirement, and liked that you only had to do it once a year instead of with every transaction (like the brady bunch wants).
FJ540

Postby bstrawse on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:01 pm

bensdad wrote:
I even considered putting in the paperwork to have my fingerprints on file to get the special number. But that problem seem to have gone away.

?

There is a process that you can go through if you're constantly being put on hold due to confusion over someone's actual identity.

Follow the links on this page for the "Voluntary Appeal File" information - which ultimately gives you a number you put on the 4473 that is used w/ NICS for them to zero in on a specific identity, etc... http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:03 pm

fatboy97 wrote:The only issue I've ever heard of, and it might be a STORY, is when someone looked they were purchasing their own arsenal... just buying what they thought was too many guns... don't know if that was true or not, but I've never heard of anyone that I knew that had an issue with the NICS check.

I've heard of people being delayed due to confusion over identity or systems issues at NICS.

Last time I made a purchase at Frontiersman, they warned me they had seen 3-4 delays from folks prior to my purchase and thought there was a systems issue that day. Mine went through fine...

B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby David on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:04 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:I have a rather common name and someone with a name close to mine must be a very bad person.

That darn Vvrroomm clan has some pretty shady characters. Always getting into trouble!

:D
David

Postby Rufusf on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Careful Fellas........

Now that is an intelligent response from a 3rd grader playing video games. WOW that was informative and very mature. A pic of a whatever from a moron....
I love it.
Groucho (Obama)..(singing): "The last man nearly ruined this place, he didn't know what to do with it - if you think this country's bad off now, just wait till I get through with it!" Marx Brothers - Duck Soup.
Rufusf

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 pm

carlspackler wrote:Now that is an intelligent response from a 3rd grader playing video games. WOW that was informative and very mature. A pic of a whatever from a moron....
I love it.

Careful with the personal attacks there fella, wouldn't want to have to bounce you.......

Again. :?
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Paul on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Careful with the personal attacks there fella, wouldn't want to have to bounce you.......

Again. :?

I see what you did there.
Paul

Postby FJ540 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:47 am

I'm glad I didn't loan him my carry book. Sheesh...
FJ540

Postby solidgun on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 am

jgalt wrote:
solidgun wrote:To a reasonable person, it makes sense as to why one needs this permit if they are going through background check.

If you are defining "reasonable" as "irrational" or "incapable of seeing reason", then maybe I'll agree with the above assessment. Please do let us know what you mean, if you don't mind...

I don't understand what you mean, but let me clarify.

So I go to the sheriff's office and get the permit to purchase. Background check and I am issued a card that clears me to purchase a firearm.

I go to a gun shop. Present my permit. They want a background check done. I have a permit. Nope, they want a background check performed. But I have a permit....that is a useless piece of paper.

I understand how people feel comforted when they see the permit on FTF transactions. I have done enough and I have always limited it to permit to carry holders when I have done FTF transactions. But then, why do people need permits to buy in gun shops?

So a reasonable person who is capable of seeing common sense would see that the permits are useless. What isn't clear about this?
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby FJ540 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:02 am

You forget the stupid brady bunch restriction which mandates a "cooling off period" between the beginning and fulfillment of a handgun acquisition. With the permit, you satisfy the feds stipulation that you must wait 5 days before being able to buy a handgun, at one time for a whole year. The brady bunch wants this to happen EVERY time you want to buy a handgun. If they had their way, your permit to purchase would be surrendered when a transaction happened for a single gun and you'd have to go get another one for every gun there after (that kind of law would give them wood as we'd have police departments slowing down our purchasing abilities with administrative delays due to the sheer volume of permits that would have to be issued).

With the permit now, you wait your brady bunch delay out, and then you march your happy azz to the gun shop and buy all the guns you can afford (see what I did there?) without any delay from the point you whip out the cash to the time you leave the store gun in hand; and can do so as many times as you want for an entire year. The problem is that we don't know if you've been a douche bag or not in the time lapse from when you waited out the brady bunch to the point you're actually at the counter wanting to buy the gun - so we do an instant background check to see if it's still lawful to give you the gun you purchased.
FJ540

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns