new gun

Discussion of handguns

Re: new gun

Postby mmarino on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:29 pm

so for now i'm carrying the glock 19, but i still need a new/new-to-me gun, i'm going to the gun show this weekend any recomendatoins on what to check out?
mmarino

Postby 1911fan on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:57 pm

for some the short grip of the 26 makes them point better than a 19. just the way it is.

at first all carry guns look humungous and you wonder how anyone cancarry them and not be noticed by everyone who sees them, yet the truth is, people dont look at you that much, and unless you're built like Megan Fox or Jennifer Biel, people are not looking at your waist area at all. So use this to find the gun you shoot the best, then find a way to carry it, and carry it well.
1911fan

Postby Pezhead on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 am

Most people tend to be totally oblivious to the fact the person next to them has a weapon.
Pezhead

Postby jdege on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am

mmarino wrote:hello guys and girls, i'm looking for a little bit of advice/direction on purchasing a new gun for EDC. currently i'm waiting and my permit should be here anyday now, but i run into the problem that of the ghuns i currently have they don't really facilitate carrying or i'm just not a fan of them. my beretta 92 is too big, chunky and akward to carry and the G19 is a great gun accurate and reliable but for no particular reason i just don't like it. so that has me on the hunt for a new gun looked at .380 and thought i wanted a S&W bodyguard 380 until i saw all the problems they have, and also i would like to stay on the 9mm or bigger, dont want to break the bank on a gun (although the little kimbers shoot great and feel great) so any advice, suggestions anything....

You can ask people how reliable they've found a gun, you can't ask them how well it will fit your hand, or how well it will point for you.
jdege

Postby mmarino on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 am

jdege wrote:You can ask people how reliable they've found a gun, you can't ask them how well it will fit your hand, or how well it will point for you.

i'm aware ot this. but i figure that most of the people here have way more experience with handguns so what i'm asking is what do you like, so i can check it out and see how it feels for me
mmarino

Postby RobD on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm

mmarino wrote:
jdege wrote:You can ask people how reliable they've found a gun, you can't ask them how well it will fit your hand, or how well it will point for you.

i'm aware ot this. but i figure that most of the people here have way more experience with handguns so what i'm asking is what do you like, so i can check it out and see how it feels for me

jdege is right though... Every gun will have people who like it and people who hate it. Go to a show or shop and see how some things feel, then come back and ask if anyone has one you can try.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Snowgun on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 pm

mmarino wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give a suggestion (though you should still try lots of stuff, etc, etc).

I frickin LOVE my new walther PPS. I didn't think that there would be a large caliber (i'm counting 9mm as large, but it come in 40!) carry gun that would be so small, comfortable and concealable that I would forget I had it on me! Plus i'm extremely happy with the way it shoots. I seriously think I could compete with it (e.g. IDAP/uspsa) and hold my own. (thought I would need to change a LOT of magazines ;) )

They have one at Bills south that you can rent and shoot.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Tommy Gun on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 am

fatboy97 wrote:XD9sc... great gun and with the two different size magazines it's VERY easy to shoot. If you must have the really easy compact carry gun put in the compact magazine, if you have to have long pinky grip than go with the extended magazine and carry the other as a secondary magazine.

+1

For a few dollars, you can get a Pearce grip extension for the 10-round mag. They work great if you have larger hands like me. :D

When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Previous

Return to Handguns