What 1911 do you recommend to buy?

Discussion of handguns

Re: What 1911 do you recommend to buy?

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:37 am

There is a lot of paying for the name in 1911's

While there is absolutely no doubt that an Ed Brown is one absolutely meticulous pistol - does it really shoot better at say 7 yards than a $750 Springfield? Not necessarily...

It all comes down to features - Springfield makes a hell of a nice gun for the $$$ - Sp does gulp... Taurus

Brown - Nighthawk - Upper end Kimbers - Les Baer - STI - all fine guns - all spendy too....
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby plblark on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:44 pm

plblark wrote:Guy I know is looking to get into NRA Bullsyeye shooting and wants a 1911. He's been all over Bill's North comparing.

So, Questions to you all:

Which 1911 for the job?
Which .22 for the job? He has a Ruger Mk III which should be sufficient but is considering a 1911 .45 and something similar in .22

Thoughts? Ideas? Should this be in a topic of its own?

OK, so it's an evolving process and I can definitely see the point behind name == $$ in some guns. The question is, where's the line? We're talking 25 and 50 yard NRA Bullseye timed fire with an optic (Probably red dot IIRC).

He's been doing some reading on Oakdale Gun Club's pages for NRA Bullseye and that has got him narrowing the list.

He's considering Kimber SuperMatch and Ruger Mark III for match shooting and then something else for the mid calibre. HE mentioned a Beretta 9000S but I have Zero experience there.

Pros or Cons with the Kimber or the Beretta? Better gun for the money or similar with strengths / weaknesses for the purpose?

This is truly a GREAT community and resource. Thanks gents.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby DeanC on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:02 pm

The one bullseye shooter I know used a S&W Model 41. He had an extra barrel he kept a red dot sight on. He could switch barrels depending on the type of match.

Trying to remember other preferred models:
Hammerli
Hi Standard Victor
Colt Woodsman Match Target

Ruger was generally not among the top picks
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby plblark on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 pm

The guy (Dad) already has a Ruger Mark III but sounds like he's trying to decide to stick with it or change. He's at the point of gathering all the pros / cons and moving forward in his research.
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Rem700 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:46 pm

If I as getting down to where I was split between two choices, I'd try and convince someone who owns one to go shooting with me to make a final decision.[/quote]

Can't help you with the Nighthawk, all I have is a Baer Priemer II and Concept VI, also Rock River Arms Limited Match and a Commando, which are no longer made. Not to put anyone down, but I know there a people that would have a hard time telling much difference between a $800 1911 and a $2400 1911. Not that they couldn't, but I don't think they would see the $1000 difference.

Was never great at math but isnt that a $1600 difference :mrgreen:
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby cobb on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Rem700 wrote:Was never great at math but isnt that a $1600 difference :mrgreen:

I was just trying to make a gereral statement. ;)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby plblark on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:48 pm

Rem700 wrote:
plblark wrote:If I as getting down to where I was split between two choices, I'd try and convince someone who owns one to go shooting with me to make a final decision.

Cobb wrote:Can't help you with the Nighthawk, all I have is a Baer Priemer II and Concept VI, also Rock River Arms Limited Match and a Commando, which are no longer made. Not to put anyone down, but I know there a people that would have a hard time telling much difference between a $800 1911 and a $2400 1911. Not that they couldn't, but I don't think they would see the $1000 difference.

Isn't the difference Cobb's subtle finder's fee?
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby ree on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:55 pm

plblark wrote:
Rem700 wrote:
plblark wrote:If I as getting down to where I was split between two choices, I'd try and convince someone who owns one to go shooting with me to make a final decision.

Cobb wrote:Can't help you with the Nighthawk, all I have is a Baer Priemer II and Concept VI, also Rock River Arms Limited Match and a Commando, which are no longer made. Not to put anyone down, but I know there a people that would have a hard time telling much difference between a $800 1911 and a $2400 1911. Not that they couldn't, but I don't think they would see the $1000 difference.

He's rounding the right direction in order to justify the more expensive model.
ree

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:01 am

I know a guy here on this forum that has a couple of Nighthawks - beautiful pistols - but holy cow you pay for all that beauty.

They are well made - well appointed - and Nighthawk backs them up 100% (they had better for the $$$)

I think that a commander starts at about $2400 - nice piece but wow you could buy 2 really good 1911's for that $$$ one 5" and one Commander or Officers or something.

I have been bitten by the 1911 bug - I am headed down the road of no return now.

Next gun is a Full Sized 5" gun.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby ttousi on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:48 am

harummph..........nothing subtle about cobb :P
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:18 am

I have tried to stay out of this discussion, because of my many attempts at recovery and my continued addiction to the 1911 platform.

If you want a beautifully hand crafted defensive pistol, it's hard to beat anything from Nighthawk. I really hate to admit it, but Pinnacle is a truly excellent shot. He took my Nighthawk Talon II (commander sized 1911) and put an entire mag through one jagged hole at about 5 meters. He turned around to me, with (both) eyes open wide, and just said, "Wow!"

Sure a Nighthawk is twice the price of a Kimber, but it won't lose value with time (unlike Kimbers...). I further justify this whole addiction thing by reminding myself that I don't own a boat, don't play golf and don't gamble.

So what's a fella left with? I mean, we all need a vice, right?
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby plblark on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:23 am

We all need our vices indeed and some of us take vice as a career ;)

I think the defensive specific firearm area is covered, as much as it's possible to do so without feeding the addiction ;-)

The thing I'm trying to get at is the balance between $$, performance, and enjoyment.
We're talking precision NRA Bullseye rules shooting here with a .22, a .45, and an intermediate calibre gun. When looking, sometimes you luck into a lot of good information and other times not.
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:42 pm

plblark wrote:The thing I'm trying to get at is the balance between $$, performance, and enjoyment.

We're talking precision NRA Bullseye rules shooting here with a .22, a .45, and an intermediate calibre gun. When looking, sometimes you luck into a lot of good information and other times not.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with a Kimber Team Match II for bullseye shooting...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Rem700 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:44 pm

Cobb no offense was meant and I was aware of your intent. Thats why I used the :mrgreen:
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby cobb on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:19 am

Rem700 wrote:Cobb no offense was meant and I was aware of your intent. Thats why I used the :mrgreen:

I had a ;) in there.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns