I like 1911's

Discussion of handguns

Re: I like 1911's

Postby FJ540 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Rem700 wrote:Yep saw that the other day on one of the gun shows.
80% of full size and a compact for CC wonder how many CC a .22? If it was me buying I would want it the same size as a 9mm

The same size as a 9mm would still be full size.

I saw the same show, and was thinking WTF? when they said great for concealed carry. Like you need to appear unarmed when shooting tree rats or something...

I'd love a Walther p22 sized 1911 - simply for the fact I could stuff it in a pocket while hunting rather than needing a holster like the ruger mark 2. But I'm also not prepared to spend $500 on one like the MSRP on the Browning is slated.
FJ540

Postby Rem700 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Confused
My understanding is there are two pistols being made both 80% of the standard 5'' HP and the 4'' detective or compact.

I have no idea why they went with a 80% size instead of makeing it an exact 100% size copy which is what I would prefer.

Im not much for stuffing a pistol in my pocket without a holster.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 am

Cuda66 wrote:I liked my plastic fantastics for a long, long time.

However, recently several of them have gone "Buh-bye" in anticipation of my Les Baer.

Without front serrations.

12 weeks to go...

I agree. No FCS is pure sex to my eyes!!!

Pics stolen from 1911forums...

One of my future 1911's, along with a full rail Operator/TRP.

m4andxdisbliss

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 am

I have a S&A Magwell along with the MSH kit to replace all the ILS junk on order for my LW Operator.

Along with some Ahrends Cocobolo Combat Grips, and a GI rod and plug.

It won't be a Custom Shop gun but it will be my own slice of heaven.

Future mod's will be Black-T the complete pistol and maybe even get the TRP Upgrade. :D
Last edited by m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
m4andxdisbliss

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:41 am

ahrens wrote:I jest now got done talkin' to a cowerker 'bout new grips fer his 1911 ... and figured I'd jest as well post 'bout 'em here ...

Ya can buy 'em from MidwayUSA ... but it only takes 2 - 3wk fer a custom order ... and this guy's absolutely top-notch ... did 'bout 4 custom orders myself (including a new one jest a few weeks ago ... I chose jest 'bout everythin' short of "engraving" and it was still under $80) ... and 'nother 3 sets from Midway (most of these are 'round $60).

Anyhow, fer the custom-order, go here ... http://www.alumagrips.com/ ... and click on "build a grip"! Image

I like those too, just not sure how I would like metal on the grip. Something about the wood that makes it seem more comfortable, but I hate rubber grips 'cept for laser grips.

Guess I could fondle one with them on or take a $60 risk...

There is a smooth set on the 1911forums for 25 shipped. I need something to hold on to though...
m4andxdisbliss

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 am

m4andxdisbliss wrote:
ahrens wrote:I jest now got done talkin' to a cowerker 'bout new grips fer his 1911 ... and figured I'd jest as well post 'bout 'em here ...

Ya can buy 'em from MidwayUSA ... but it only takes 2 - 3wk fer a custom order ... and this guy's absolutely top-notch ... did 'bout 4 custom orders myself (including a new one jest a few weeks ago ... I chose jest 'bout everythin' short of "engraving" and it was still under $80) ... and 'nother 3 sets from Midway (most of these are 'round $60).

Anyhow, fer the custom-order, go here ... http://www.alumagrips.com/ ... and click on "build a grip"! Image

I like those too, just not sure how I would like metal on the grip. Something about the wood that makes it seem more comfortable, but I hate rubber grips 'cept for laser grips.

Guess I could fondle one with them on or take a $60 risk...

There is a smooth set on the 1911forums for 25 shipped. I need something to hold on to though...

I've had lots of different grips ... Hogue wrap-around ... slimmer stock S&W rubber ... all kinds of wood ... pearlite ... ivory-lite (actually, the S&W ones off Midway are very reasonably priced, and very nice ... fer smooth grips ... "S&W" medallion, though) ... even stag (what a waste of money :roll: ).

Dependin' on what ya want it for, $60 may be a risk. $80'd probly be a slam-dunk. 8-)

Lemme know if ya git up near the metro ... I got slims and the "very aggressive" S&A cut. BTW, I tried a set of slims (stock from Midway) on my S&W (lightweight) ... I got XXL hands ... wasn't sure how that'd go ... but I REALLY like 'em ... got 'nother set! Ya may 'er may not like 'em, but if ya carry yer LW operator, I'd suggest givin' 'em a run. Don't fergit to order slim bushings 'n screws, 'course. Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:09 am

m4andxdisbliss wrote:just not sure how I would like metal on the grip

Oops ... fergot 'bout this ... I was a little leery of it myself ... even bought the "guards" 'er whatever they're called (thin clear plastic the shape of the grips, to go 'tween).

Not sure at what point I stopped worrying 'bout it ... but I did. Got to where I'd be swappin' grips every other week ... so I'd jest keep orderin' more to keep the swappin' to a minimum. Image

Ya should see my "grip drawer" ... almost rivals my "holster box". Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 am

I have bigger hands so I would want them in the reg. size, not slim.

I shouldn't need the different bushings then, correct?

Or do the Alumagrips use that slim style on all the grips?

Thought I seen you can order slim or reg.??
m4andxdisbliss

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 am

m4andxdisbliss wrote:I have bigger hands so I would want them in the reg. size, not slim.

Nope ... only need slim bushings for slim grips.

Your hands are bigger 'n XXL?! :shock:
rugersol

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 am

ahrens wrote:
m4andxdisbliss wrote:I have bigger hands so I would want them in the reg. size, not slim.

Nope ... only need slim bushings for slim grips.

Your hands are bigger 'n XXL?! :shock:

Ha! No, but I like the "Full-size grip" compared to the slim.

I like to hold the gun, not squeeze it!
m4andxdisbliss

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:30 am

But I have also not held a 1911 with the slim grips, so I guess I can't say they wouldn't work or I wouldn't like them.
m4andxdisbliss

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:40 am

m4andxdisbliss wrote:But I have also not held a 1911 with the slim grips, so I guess I can't say they wouldn't work or I wouldn't like them.

It's different ... may even take some gettin' used to ... whether gettin' used to it is ultimately worth anthing? ... YMMV. Image

I like to "grip" my 1911's ... not necessarily 'til it starts drippin' ... but purdy close. With larger hands, and the slim grips, I reckon that'd be somewhat of a requirement. Image
rugersol

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:47 am

ahrens wrote:
m4andxdisbliss wrote:But I have also not held a 1911 with the slim grips, so I guess I can't say they wouldn't work or I wouldn't like them.

It's different ... may even take some gettin' used to ... whether gettin' used to it is ultimately worth anthing? ... YMMV. Image

I like to "grip" my 1911's ... not necessarily 'til it starts drippin' ... but purdy close. With larger hands, and the slim grips, I reckon that'd be somewhat of a requirement. Image

Well I will have to stop buy and try em for myself sometime.

Better than buying something I don't like...

The Ahrends grips I have on the way are the reg. size. Guess I could bring those along to compare.
m4andxdisbliss

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:52 am

m4andxdisbliss wrote:
ahrens wrote:

Well I will have to stop buy and try em for myself sometime.

Better than buying something I don't like...

The Ahrends grips I have on the way are the reg. size. Guess I could bring those along to compare.

Sounds good! :cheers:

Bring ammo ... jest in case there's a range, nearby. Image

Hmmm ... don't believe I've ever handled Ahrends grips, 'fore ... Image
rugersol

Postby m4andxdisbliss on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 pm

ahrens wrote:Sounds good! :cheers:

Bring ammo ... jest in case there's a range, nearby. Image

Hmmm ... don't believe I've ever handled Ahrends grips, 'fore ... Image

Made in Iowa, Kim is a great guy!

I know I will eventually get some VZ's but the Ahrends are nice also. I like a dark wood grip. The VZ's will be just to switch it up now and then.
m4andxdisbliss

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns