Picked Up the SIG P250 today at Bills

Discussion of handguns

Picked Up the SIG P250 today at Bills

Postby IDPA Shooter on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:49 pm

All I've had a chance to do was hold it in the shop and dry fire it a few times. I get it home and look it over closely. I work in IT so I tend to RTFM and I pull the manual out of the case and put the gun in my safe.

As I'm doing this I see the damn front sight does not have its tritium insert inserted. Thanks SIG, now I get to take the gun back to Bill's after talking with Joe and/or the SIG factory. I know SIG will make it right, but it is annoying!

Pictures and a test fire report this weekend.
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Update on the SIG P250 and SIG and Bills' Service

Postby IDPA Shooter on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 am

I called SIG and told them about the missing ( edit to add - Joe thought it might be there, just cracked) front sight Tritium element. Response was what, the front sight is missing? No it's there just no Tritium vial I say ( ah SIG quality I hope they don't ship guns without front sights) . Well you'll have to send proof I'm told, take a picture and email me and we will then ground ship you the new front sight. Ah no, I say $700 gun, send the new sight to your dealer overnight and I'll have them replace it tomorrow, already waited weeks. Nein says the SIG "Customer Service" guy.

Called Squib Joe from Bill's, he should have been my 1st call. That's terrible Joe says, give me two minutes to check if we still have the other SIG bi tone P 250. Yes I do, can you stop down and we'll give you the slide from ours, that has all the sights and tritium inserts and you'll be good to go. Meanwhile, Joe tells me he will verify with SIG that these slides aren't fitted or if they are we can just swap out the serialized part ( the whole idea with the P250). Joe also said he'd speak to SIG about Zack, the SIG rep I spoke to. People can say what they want about Bill's. I've bought many guns from them and the service has always been at least very good, sometimes great like this time. Thx Squib Joe!
Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IDPA Shooter

Re: Picked Up the SIG P250 today at Bills

Postby Pinnacle on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Joe is a hell of a guy and a great representative that I would be proud to have on my staff.

He is a credit to his profession.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:57 am

Whoa, my hat is feeling tight this morning. Thanks guys.

Seriously, some gun companies understand how warranties should be handled and some .. not so much. I think a high-end manufacturer should have a warranty repair checklist that goes something like this:

1) If a customer has a problem, make it your problem.

2) Handle the repair in a way that is most convenient for the customer, not necessarily most convenient for yourself.

3) Make the gun function as well, or better, than when it came out of the box.

Figuring out if the customer did something wrong should be down around number 67. Asking for "proof" before taking action shouldn't be on the list at all.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:20 am

It really shocks me that SIG would act in that manner - I have had some dealings with them and all have been positive.

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby IDPA Shooter on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Pinnacle wrote:It really shocks me that SIG would act in that manner - I have had some dealings with them and all have been positive.

+1 actually - I recently ( 6 weeks back) called SIG and advised that the right wood grip on my SIG229 SAS was cracked. Customer Service asked how it happened, I told the truth " no idea, I've never dropped the gun and it is cracked and spreading at the top of the grip".

I expected a replacement grip, but they said oh no sir, we;ll send you a new pair so you get a good color match as these are made from the same piece of wood. New grips arrived 3rd day air, no request to return the old ones.

IDPA Shooter

Postby David on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:27 pm

Forgive me for bumping an old thread like this, but I thought I'd mention that I had the good fortune to meet Joe at Bill's the other day, and was impressed at both his knowledge and attitude. He sold me a nice Type 97 rifle, and was very kind to talk at length with me about a certain 1941 Johnson (which I went back and bought the next day from Tate—sadly, Joe wasn't around).

It's rare to find someone in this industry who is knowledgeable AND courteous. Especially with all the nutters they have to deal with at that store.

I should also point out that Bill's North has a couple of guys who are of the same "caliber." Neither Ryan nor Bruce have the "gun guy" persona, and both are pleasant and very knowledgeable.
David

Postby Flip on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:51 pm

My $0.02,

I was at Bill's North on New Year's day and Mark spent about an hour showing me all of their compact semi-autos and giving me his own ideas of what was good & what wasn't. I really appreciated the time he spent helping me. I'll definitely remember that when I'm looking for my next gun.

If you have gun questions, go to a Bill's Gun Shop.

Thanks Mark,

Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby ree on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 am

So Bob, how does it shoot?
ree

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:36 am

ree wrote:So Bob, how does it shoot?

Not really speaking for anyone - BUT

As i know sig to be - I am sure that it shoots better than the operator. I talked to Sig the other day about the 250 as there were some contractors looking for some - the Sig Rep (whom I have done business with before) said that in his opinion it is their best pistol yet.

With that said - I think that we can all say that the sig lineup is aboput as good as it gets without question. I have heard of some problems with the GSR's and I am finding that hard to imagine - but I will take that for what it is worth.

If it says Sig on it - it is a fine piece of equipment. I have a 228 and a 229

Both of them are quite capable of outshooting my limited ability. I would trust my life to anything from Sig right out of the box.

But I want the low-down ont he 250 from a shooters perspective s well.

SO SPILL IT :mrgreen:

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby IDPA Shooter on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 pm

ree wrote:So Bob, how does it shoot?

As has been noted it is a SIG and it is excellent. I only have a few hundred rounds thru it, no problems of any kind. I have shot Fed AE, Rem UMC, some S&B, some Win WB and it is very accurate and refined. I've had 1/2 a dozen friends shoot it and an all commented on how smooth the double action is. My Lyman digital trigger gauge shows it breaking at 6.1 lbs and there is no stacking or creep in the trigger.

A Sig devotee pronounced it the smoothest double action ever. He said it compared favorably to the DAK trigger in the SIG 229 SAS that we both own one of, if you ignore the reset. This is a duty pistol and the reset, while adequate, is not as quick to reset as the DAK or even an out of the box Glock.

A revolver shooter whose opinion I value highly, said it was extremely nice, but not worth the price, in his mind. I'll decide after SIG tells me what the frames, barrels, etc are going to cost.

I like it very much overall and only got one negative comment, that was unintentional. Someone saw it on the range bench at Sherburne Sheriffs and remarked, hey is that the new Ruger? If we were in Texas I could have shot him for an insult like that. I did look at the new Ruger 9, and it does, at 1st glance only, look just a little like the Ruger or maybe they tried to make their Ruger look like a Sig.

If you see me on the range , I happy to let you shoot it. I will not take it to IDPA until I have a lot more practice. BTW, the factory holster is just OK and kinda pricey, but remember what they say " Purchasing Agents like Glocks, Special Agents prefer Sigs"

Yikes, I wrote that and am a Glock guy at heart, although I just picked up my 3rd M&P. This is the full size 9mm and it is an awesome shooter and quite the deal.

IDPA Shooter

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks for the Update Bob 8-)

I like my 226 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby rtk on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:19 pm

BRIT_in_the_weeds wrote:Thanks for the Update Bob 8-)

I like my 226 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I also liked your 226 at the last steel shoot.....I now have one myself.

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby David on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 pm

When SIG comes out with the SA/DA 250, one of them will join all the other SIGs on my wall.
David

Return to Handguns