Kimber Solo...

Discussion of handguns

Kimber Solo...

Postby MissouriDave on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm

I see Kimber introduced a new 1911ish firearm that fixes all of John Browning's mistakes on the 1911. Shooting Times has a great review.

It has a truly innovative single action trigger that breaks at a sweet 7.5 pounds and resets in only .5 inch. No way JB could have did something that spectacular. Guess you don't need to keep that away from the kids, they can't pull it anyways. Did you see they got rid of that darn hammer that hit so many fingers. I am sure there are many battle scars out there from those darn hammers.

On the plus side they say it is pretty accurate. I am just not sure what this is bringing to the table besides hype. I am sure this is their attempt to take a bite out of Kahr's and Para LDA marketshare.

Is it just me or does this seem like some unholy Frankenstein thing?
MissouriDave

Re: Kimber Solo...

Postby Gecko, Extra Crispy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I thought it was cool and was thinking about getting one but I have seen 2 broken ones now which sucks. *edit* one had the locking lugs inside the frame sheered off the other would not cycle.

one is back at Kimber the other guy got his call tag to send it in.

another good review here. read the follow up comments from from the owners after they had them a while.

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=31185777&postID=4613282105673594281

They sure feel nice though
Gecko, Extra Crispy

Postby DeanC on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:23 pm

It's a great concept, but the execution seems to be lacking. Joe can probably give us an update but I think the rental unit at Bill's has been offline for repairs longer than it has been on.

I know Kimber specifies that you should only use 3 or 4 very specific brands and loads of ammo in the gun which kinda sucks.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Consummate on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Eh, do not want!

07 FFL SOT
Also providing Cerakote Firearm finishes
Born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will.
http://www.SchreyerWeaponSystems.com

LIKE us! http://www.Facebook.com/SchreyerWeaponSystems
Consummate

Postby westhope on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 pm

It is not a 1911.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Inspiribomb on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't see it as doing anything that Kahr already does.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby hammAR on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm

MissouriDave wrote:I see Kimber introduced a new 1911ish firearm that fixes all of John Browning's mistakes on the 1911.

Was this from the WH press corps................ :roll:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Geez, a company that built it's reputation on high end 1911's (with lots of reported customer problems with that design) going completely outside of their niche and producing something like THIS?? Can you say desperation, people?? Apparently 3M has been offloading its most retarded managers to Kimber instead of keeping them, which is a huge change in their SOP.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm

i think the only subcompact ive seen in the 1911-ish style that looked like a good gun is the Sig P238. but that's a .380, the Solo is a 9mm. i also have a distaste for the .380, so... i'll stick with my FNP-40... i don't need a subcompact to carry a weapon
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Pezhead on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I had trouble with the one at Bill's. It kept jamming and I wasn't limp wristing.
Pezhead

Postby rugersol on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:32 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:i think the only subcompact ive seen in the 1911-ish style that looked like a good gun is the Sig P238. but that's a .380, the Solo is a 9mm.

If they'd've made their new 9mm sub-compact a slightly upscaled otherwise exact duplicate of the P238, they'd be SWIMMING in money! Image

As it is, my P238 does precisely what I need it to, when I'm not otherwise carrying a 1911. 8-)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby NDB_MN on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 am

I shot one quite a bit, probably 150ish rounds through it myself in two separate sessions at my father-in-law's.

I really like the recoil characteristics and the feel of the gun. I shoot the Solo much much better than I shoot the Kahr PM9. I also found the Solo's rounded edges to be MUCH better for pocket carry than Kahr's blockiness. But that's just me.

The Solo worked great for the first 500 rounds or so. Didn't seem to like really light loads, but didn't mind 115gr Blazer Brass.

Then around 500-700 rounds it started to fail to extract on occasion, and the magazine would fall out of the gun while firing (even when using 2 fingers to ensure the mag release wasn't being 'bumped').

It went back to Kimber and had a pretty quick turn around. They replaced the mag catch and the barrel.

The thing still fails to extract, but the magazine functions. :roll: If I lubed up the rounds before I put them in, it would get through a few mags before hanging up. I think the chamber is part of the cause as it seems like during the extraction process the case is kicking to the side slightly and wedging against the wall of the chamber, making it easier to slip the extractor.

Needless to say, I am going to give Kimber a year or two to iron out the bugs on this little gun before considering one. Honestly, as far as form factor and trigger, it blows away the other small 9s I've tried. But if it doesn't work, who cares?
NDB_MN

Postby Shipyard on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Inspiribomb wrote:I don't see it as doing anything that Kahr already does.

i got to fondle one a little bit ago - feels WAY better in the hands than any of the Kahr line (and i own, love and constantly carry several different Kahr's). havn't shot it yet - interested to see how it handles.

but it has one of those damn external safetys... :x

ergo's on it seem pretty good. nice and pretty. but hey - if it don't shoot well, then yeah. what's the point.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:28 am

Plus the slide is too small and too short to put HOmeboy sights on it, so you can't be signifying and dignifying with this piece while sitting on the curb with a Fo-tay of malt liquor!! :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Return to Handguns