629 vs Super Redhawk vs ???

Discussion of handguns

629 vs Super Redhawk vs ???

Postby justinvan on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Looking at a 44 revolver to put in the stable with the ultimate goal being to scope it and use it for deer hunting. What are the better options in the revolver world for big bore calibers. I am not a huge Ruger guy yet for some reason I own 3 ruger revolvers. Just curious what peoples views are on this subject.
justinvan

Re: 629 vs Super Redhawk vs ???

Postby Shipyard on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:50 pm

i just had this debate with my buddy who wanted a hand cannon. i have a 629 calssic. love it love it love it love it. never liekd the feel of the rugers myself. my buddy shot my smith a bunch, and bought a long barrel redhawk. he loves the ruger platform and likes that he can load them nasty hot.

all in what works for you, but for 44's i wouldn't say there's another option between these two in my opinion. both are excellent weapons.

let us know how you come out :)
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby justinvan on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I lean towards the 629... would like to find a 629 classic hunter. But just like most rugers everybody says there built like a friggin tank!
justinvan

Postby Ironbear on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:31 pm

What? No Freedom Arms?

A .44 Mag on the Mdl 83 frame should eat anything you feed it!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby crbutler on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 pm

My experience is that while the ruger revolvers are more "clunky" and not as smooth as a S&W, they are able to take more abuse than a Smith. I've shot a smith and a colt loose, I've not managed that with a Ruger. They certainly lack the "Panache" of a S&W, but are really quite well built.

They both seem to be about the same accuracy wise.

The freedom arms gun is worlds better than either, but a lot more expensive. Its also a single action revolver.
crbutler

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Just do us all a favor and acquire both.

Then do me a favor and send me the one you put second. I would kick neither out of bed, and would use each for the same purposes. The only thing the ruger has for me is the strength advantage. Other than that I think the smith is a nicer gun and their is no longer much price difference the last I checked.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 am

I wouldn't overlook a Blackhawk ... ya really gonna shoot a Redhawk DA? Image

That said, even with proper instruction, it can take a while to get used to properly gripping a SAA-type revolver.

That said, I'd say a BFR's definitely in the hunt!

FWIW, I shoot in a "deer pistol" league ... 3rd year, now (two different guns, each year) ... I've shot my Bisley Hunter ... a 4in 629 ... 6in 27 (scoped) ... this year I'm shootin' a 6in 657 (stock post/notch sights) ... last week, I shot both guns very well ... and actually shot my 657 better 'n my 27. The Bisley Hunter'll take anything ya feed it ... but when I wanna get more 10pt hits than 8pt hits, I go fer the S&W's!

That said, 'less ya find a smokin' deal on an older S&W, yer gonna save $300 - $500 goin' with a new Blackhawk!

Only Redhawk I ever handled had a SA trigger worse 'n I ever seen. I wouldn't get one 'less I know a reputable 'smith to slick it up! Blackhawks, fer whatever reason, seem to come with purdy nice triggers, outta the box.

YMMV
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Geezer43 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 am

I've owned a S&W Model 29 and a Super Redhawk. Liked them both.
It's true that the S&W looks better, handles better, and has a smmother action & trigger.
However, I was able to do some trigger tuning and a bit of action tuning on the Ruger. The result proved to be both lighter & smoother than the S&W.
The Ruger can digest Buffalo Bore's hottest load (the one rated as +P+) all day long. I don't think the S&W will withstand that for very long.
With standard loads, the rear sight of the S&W shot loose and almost fell off.

Accuracy was about the same for both. The Super Redhawk has integral scope bases for use with Ruger rings.
For deer hunting I think the Ruger is a better choice.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 am

Guy at Oakdale yesterday was shooting a Super Redhawk .44 mag wit a scope at 50 yards and had a solid 3" group going all day long.
Holland&Holland

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 am

... not to get into any big "Rugers are stronger than S&W" thing ... but it occurs to me, this seems to be a factor in some folks' decision making.

At which, I'm wondering why S&W don't simply lay down the trump card of a .44 X-frame? Image

Then again, with Ruger charging almost as much fer their Redhawks anymore, why don't they come with a trigger as nice as a S&W?

If it was me, I'd probly get the Redhawk and trade Geezer a case of beer fer a nice trigger-job! :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby Geezer43 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 am

rugersol wrote:... not to get into any big "Rugers are stronger than S&W" thing ... but it occurs to me, this seems to be a factor in some folks' decision making.

At which, I'm wondering why S&W don't simply lay down the trump card of a .44 X-frame? Image

Then again, with Ruger charging almost as much fer their Redhawks anymore, why don't they come with a trigger as nice as a S&W?

If it was me, I'd probly get the Redhawk and trade Geezer a case of beer fer a nice trigger-job! :?

I wuz wunderin the same thing.

As for a trigger job on a Ruger, all it takes is the right springs (available from Brownells) and a lot of careful polishing of the internal trigger parts.
If I could do it, anyone else could too.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 am

Geezer43 wrote:
rugersol wrote:If it was me, I'd probly get the Redhawk and trade Geezer a case of beer fer a nice trigger-job! :?

If I could do it, anyone else could too.

Is that a dare? :|
rugersol

Postby Hammer99... on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:04 am

I also own a 629 classic. I love the gun. The double action trigger isn't the greatest thing ever but I only shoot 44 mag in single action and single is crisp and light.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby Eric Marleau on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:16 pm

I own a Smith 29-2 with a 4" barrel, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.with a 7 1/2" barrel.
Both are great pistols. As already mentioned, I wouldn't shoot hunting loads all day with the Smith, but the Ruger will shoot anything without doing harm.
Both shoot great at 50yds, but in the woods hunting I carry my 29-2 because of it's size.

You can't go wrong with either gun.

Also for deer, my Ruger Blackhawk .41mag. is deadly. Just a thought. Many claim that the old .41Mag is better than the .44Mags for deer. I have had great success with both.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby justinvan on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for the input so far... but at this point I am still undecided. I like the rugged durability of the Ruger, but like the refinement of the S&W, this is in a nutshell what a lot of these posts are leading to. I wish there was something in between. :(
justinvan

Next

Return to Handguns