Advice appreciated

Discussion of handguns

Advice appreciated

Postby srs on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Novice in the forum and with firearms.
I've recently purchased a Jericho 941 in ok condition (Gunbroker) and an SV Infinity .45 1911 in excellent condition (Bill's). Both are hi cap. I've put about 300 rounds through each. I don't carry and my primary home defense pistol is my H&K P7M8.
The Jericho's trigger is rough -- pulling the trigger is a chore -- hard pull and my finger seems slightly too short and so and it's hard to keep steady aim. The SV's trigger is smooth and effortless. Seems a better fit for my hand/trigger finger.
Ok, now for the questions:
1. I'd like to acquire another 9mm. I'm looking at the CZ 75/85 family. What's the feeling about trigger pull? Is the Omega trigger system an option and a solution?
2. Considering how comfortable the SV 1911 felt for me, should I look into a 9mm in the 1911 style. Any recommendations?

Much obliged!
srs

Re: Advice appreciated

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:17 am

Uhh, a Jerico 941 used probably sold for (same as a Magnum Research Baby Eagle) $300 new back in the day. A Strayer-Voight is a $2000 1911 at the very least. Considering the price differential, what would you expect? Is the Jericho SA only? Most CZ clones aren't, so if you carry cocked and locked the trigger moves back a fair amount. And the 941 IS a boat anchor. One of the heaviest 9mm's out there. The triggers on CZ clones can be smoothed out, but you need to know what you are doing. Maybe somebody in here can reccomend a gunsmith that is knowledgeable with CZ clones??

Getting an SV in 9mm is kind of like getting a Mercedes with a Volkswagen engine in it.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 am

As for the other part of your question, if you like the 1911 format, then certainly get one in 9mm; my Para P-18 9mm is my current favorite range/competition gun.

The CZ and clone triggers certainly can be improved. They were designed to be a reliable, inexpensive, service pistol, so a sweet trigger wasn't the highest priority. Most folks find that a goodly amount of dry firing and a few hundred rounds through it will smooth the trigger noticeably, and a lighter hammer spring is also a cheap improvement.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:38 am

you could look at the Rock Island Armory 1911s. we've got a few up at Bill's in Robbinsdale for right around $500, in 9mm too! stop in, i'd be glad to sell one to ya
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Shipyard on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:38 am

so, you're a novice to handguns and you reently bought two items, a $300 pistol and a $2000+ pistol, and your home defense rig is a $800 single stack out of prodcution H&K that affionados drool over???

my advice would be to learn thebasics of pistol design/operation and purpose before spending thousands of dollars on items you don't fully understand. just me.

FWIW.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:48 am

<--------------- Waits for punchline.....
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:15 am

Okay, I'll step in to provide the punchline...

RTFM!!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Snowgun on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:08 am

Loving my 1911 and having just purchased a CZ 75 shadow, Let me tell you, the trigger on the CZ can be made to be wicked awesome for a SA/DA, to the point where it is comparable to a 1911. I know the same can hold true for an EAA witness as well.

Now Shippy makes a good point, you are kinda jumping in to the pool without considering what you want these guns for, and a little research goes a long way (which is what you are doing right now).

That being said, if you want to talk to someone who can give you the skinny on CZ clones (especially witnesses), Ryan the gunsmith at Bill's south can give you all the info. He uses witnesses competitively (along with many other platforms) and also knows his way around a CZ. Being a competitive shooter as well as a gunsmith allows him to have a good view point on what you can do with a platform.

Hell, He may even be able to take that Jerico and turn it into a something you want to show off to other people. He can also show you how to take a $400 RIA 1911 and make a awesome performing 1911.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Northern Gal on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:34 am

If you like the feel of the 1911, I'd suggest taking a look at the Springfield XDm 9mm. I love the gun (I have two of them in 9mm - a 4.5 and a compact) - it shoots well for me and has been totally reliable. You might like it, too.
Northern Gal

Postby srs on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks to those with constructive comments. In terms of a 9mm in 1911, there seem to be two basic perspectives. One is that anything other than .45 is an insult to the 1911 platform. The other is that it's preferable to have a high capacity 9mm, and high cap non-1911 platforms are far more abundant (and largely less expensive) than 1911s.

Snowgun -- good points although you can't know whether I'm jumping in without considering what I want these for, as I didn't indicate. Perhaps I should have stated, but it didn't seem relevant to my questions. And as you note, I'm asking questions before I take my next jump. B

I've had my H&K for over a decade. It was sold by a friend who also trained me in its use. I probably hadn't fired it in five years or so, and when I took it out recently I remembered how hot it gets after a few magazines. While I'd still use it for home defense, as a range weapon it was not adequate, and so I bought the Jericho (largely because it's Israeli made). In researching what 9mm to buy, I was introduced to the 1911, which with its classical feature and strong tradition appeals to me. After weeks of asking questions, I saw the SV, which I learned is an outstanding and premium gun and at $1,400 was a terrific price. Sure my just being a beginner didn't require such an advance pistol. After taking the Jericho to the range and dry firing it a lot, I found I much preferred the trigger feel of the SV. So I researched the cost and pain in doing the trigger (and by the way, I did talk with the gunsmith at Bill's, who advised me not to put bucks into the Jericho) and basically concluded that I'd rather acquire another 9mm. And in firing the guns I've purchased and in doing tons of research, I've developed an interest, especially in the 1991, and in improving my shooting and maybe even looking at competing. That gets us to my questions.

As to "Shippy," it's not nice to be snippy because somebody bought nice stuff and doesn't know as much as you. I may not have what you consider to be the requisite knowledge to "deserve" the SV or H&K (I'm guessing you'd permit me the Jericho. Thank you), and I guess there are always folks who resent a newbie who buys nice things. With all due respect, you know virtually nothing about me. I disclosed that I was new and learning, and respectfully sought advice. Respect is what I expect in return. If that's asking too much, please pass over my posts.

I appreciate the advice and patience for someone trying to learn. I look forward to participating in what I think is a friendly forum and community.
srs

Postby Snowgun on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I think the issue is that you didn't really explain what you wanted these for, and coupled with giving two opposites (STI vs Jerico), it really made it confusing to answer. Shippy didn't mean anything by his post, he was just confused and sometimes his posts come across as snarky (Guilty here as well). :lol: Plus he was probably coveting your HK. ;)

I think some explanation as to what you are trying to accomplish would help. Guns are tools, and comparing a crescent wrench and an expensive torque wrench without explaining the job would be just as confusing. Everyone automatically takes price as a consideration, otherwise it would be easy to point you to the most expensive option (even that is sometimes inappropriate for the application).

Even if you stay in the 1911 platform, you will still have a TON of options and variability, and will still need to explain what your goals are to acquire useful internet advice. :D

You seem to have landed in the basic chicken and egg scenario, where you want to get a platform for something general, and the only way to solve this is either stick to a platform and just do the activity that that platform is good at, or pick something you want to do (e.g., shoot limited USPSA, every day carry, bullseye competitions..etc. ) and then get the platform that is best for that activity.

If you are interested in competition, there are MANY here with lots of experience who can zero you in to exactly what you need.

Let us know what you are interested in, and good luck!

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby srs on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks, Snowman. I guess I'm not into snarky. I am into learning and receiving the wisdom from those who came before me and are more knowledgeable, skilled and experienced.
Maybe this isn't the right thing to say here, but I am enjoying shooting and I'd like to improve my accuracy and handling (as well as training to safely and effectively handle various defensive situations). I'd like to learn more about competitive shooting but with a demanding job and a family I don't know if I'll have time. At the very least I intend to hit the range frequently. I'd like to learn how to take very good care of my guns and even improve them as much as I can.
srs

Postby Snowgun on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:42 pm

srs wrote:Thanks, Snowman. I guess I'm not into snarky. I am into learning and receiving the wisdom from those who came before me and are more knowledgeable, skilled and experienced.
Maybe this isn't the right thing to say here, but I am enjoying shooting and I'd like to improve my accuracy and handling (as well as training to safely and effectively handle various defensive situations). I'd like to learn more about competitive shooting but with a demanding job and a family I don't know if I'll have time. At the very least I intend to hit the range frequently. I'd like to learn how to take very good care of my guns and even improve them as much as I can.

On that note, there are many great instructors here that can can help you with that. Also, it sounds like you would mostly use a firearm for shooting, drills, self defense, and competition, in that order.

All these guns can be carried day to day, are fun at the range, and also will be great for competition should you decide to go that route.

If you like to do things on your own, I suggest looking at http://pistol-training.com/drills, or even lurking at Brian enos forums (more for competition but the training is still good).

As far as basic care, modifications, and repair, those topics get discussed on this forum a lot as well. :)

PS, Is your SV a single stack or a double? If it's a single then you have what you need already, unless you really want to get into 9mm. In that case there are a decent amount of options for a 1911 platform in 9mm, including building your own! :)

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby srs on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:08 pm

The SV is a double stack. Thanks for the training tips.
srs

Advice appreciated

Postby Snowgun on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:39 am

srs wrote:The SV is a double stack. Thanks for the training tips.

Well, u have a great limited gun there for competition. I'd consider getting a single stack as well, but it depends on your hand size, if you want to carry, the caliber, ect.

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Return to Handguns