The Slide on my Sig Mosquito failed catastrophically today..

Discussion of handguns

Re: The Slide on my Sig Mosquito failed catastrophically today..

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 am

A little JB weld should fix that right up.

But I would think that Sig would want to know about it so they can give you a new one.

And if they don't, make sure the rest of us hear about it. Well, I would like it if you kept us informed either way.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 am

Stradawhovious wrote:A little JB weld should fix that right up.

It could be one of the "Monthly Info Sessions".. :mrgreen:

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:01 am

wow! i guess that the 22 i get wont be a SIG. i LOVE SIG, but that's just FUBAR! when it's time for me to get a 22, i'll go with a Single Six or Single Ten, revolvers are much more simple, and Ruger has been making them since Christ walked the Earth
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Shipyard on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:05 am

i've heard more than a share of horror stories about sig customer service - please do keep us informed on how they take care of you. what i've heard has actually kept me from buying new sigs...

my opinion - there are only 2 types of 22 auto pistols worth the $$ and time - Ruger Mark series (incl 22/45) and the walther P22 if it's smoothed out. both great guns, ultra reliable and good ol fun.

i never liekd the mosquito - too damn flimsey to have the sig name on the side of it.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:11 am

Browning Buckmarks are pretty good too IMHO...
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Dill on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 am

Shipyard wrote:i've heard more than a share of horror stories about sig customer service - please do keep us informed on how they take care of you. what i've heard has actually kept me from buying new sigs...

my opinion - there are only 2 types of 22 auto pistols worth the $$ and time - Ruger Mark series (incl 22/45) and the walther P22 if it's smoothed out. both great guns, ultra reliable and good ol fun.

i never liekd the mosquito - too damn flimsey to have the sig name on the side of it.

the Walthers are known to crack the slides too.
Dill

Postby Snowgun on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Dill wrote:
Shipyard wrote:i've heard more than a share of horror stories about sig customer service - please do keep us informed on how they take care of you. what i've heard has actually kept me from buying new sigs...

the Walthers are known to crack the slides too.

Till I see one I'm in the Walther camp. You have to keep up on the cleaning for sure, but if you do they work great.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Dill on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I saw one in person, and when I googled 'Walther P22 cracked slide' I was pretty surprised at the amount of people with the same problem. Still a damn fun gun to shoot though.
Dill

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Dill wrote:I saw one in person, and when I googled 'Walther P22 cracked slide' I was pretty surprised at the amount of people with the same problem. Still a damn fun gun to shoot though.

:welcome: ... I've seen a lot of the MIM .22LR revolvers crack and break. I sent back a S&W 22A because the frame cracked all the way down through the trigger guard.

On the smaller caliber pistols the quality control seems to be lacking with a lot of manufacturers.
gyrfalcon

Postby Dill on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 pm

thanks for the welcome :)

Aren't the Walther P22 and the S&W 22 the same gun?
Dill

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I'll second the Ruger as a great 22 I love mine, but if money is not an issue my Smith Model 41 is just plain art.
mmcnx2

Postby 45Badger on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Sig Mosquitos and Walther P22s are made with cheap metal. After Sig makes it right, buy a Ruger or a Browning.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby rockcreek on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 pm

The Sig Mosquito, along with the Walther P22, and the new S&W M&P 22 are all made by Umarex (yes, the airsoft gun company). If you want an accurate, reliable .22 auto, get a Ruger or Browning. If you want a duty type gun, pony up the cash for a P220 in .22, a CZ Kadet, or a Kimber 1911 conversion slide.
rockcreek

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:47 am

The part about some of these 22 autos being made by Airsoft is pretty unsettling....

I'll just hang onto my Smith stainless K-frame 617 - I don't think the metal on that thing is going to give out, considering how close it is to the L-frame 357 mag... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby sharpshot71 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:31 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:I'm not a SIG fan, but my Berrettas have also had failure issues, after 50,000 rounds on same slide, on a pre-production test model.

VERY GOOD PICTURES - they show the cause of failure clearly - SIG should not have an issue with this failure.

The failure occured exactly where and how I would have expected it to, which leads me to believe it is a design issue, not a quality control issue. As OldmanFCSA said, that corner is a large stress concentration.

To the OP, was this thousands of rounds in the 3-5 thousand range? Or in the 30-40 thousand range? I could maybe understand if it is 40k rounds. That is probably a pretty high number for the type of material and process that frame is made from. If it failed that way after 3k rounds, then it was a huge design failure.

Either way, I would say that if they send you a replacement slide with no design changes, it will probably fail in about the same amount of time. It could be marginally better/worse depending on casting quality of that particular slide.
sharpshot71

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns