Rock Island Extreme?

Discussion of handguns

Rock Island Extreme?

Postby CarRacer on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 pm

I have a back order for a Rock Island Tactical right now but I just saw this today on Slick Guns. It's a Rock Island Tactical Extreme. It's pretty intriguing. I was kind of planning on upgrading the sights and grips on my original purchase anyway so this kind of cuts to the chase.

Anyone heard of this model? The link says it is new. It's a little bit more but it is does look pretty sweet.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/rock-island-armory-govt-model-1911-extreme-tactical-2011-59999-1699-sh
CarRacer

Re: Rock Island Extreme?

Postby dshortone on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Do you plan on using the rail for anything except for added weight? If so, avoid at all costs!

I purchased a 2011 this fall, and promptly found out that no lights fit it (Insight, Streamlight, Surefire)!!!
dshortone

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:32 pm

there was one at work that sold recently. however, i got to play with it before it was sold and then i shot it on the range. it felt cheap, more so than other RIAs (actually, most are decent). slide fitment was loose, the grips don't fully cover the frame at the bottom, and i don't like the full length dust shield/light rail. then i shot it when he was having FTE issues (it was the shooter, not the gun) and all that cheap feeling was still there when firing. it was as accurate as i am, which doesn't say a lot, but i'd spend a few extra bucks and get something else

if you like the "tactical" 1911 stuff, look at the SIG 1911 Scorpion. if you'd like to test a SIG 1911, i can lend ya my TacOps. just let me know when so i can bring it to work
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby CarRacer on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:34 am

dshortone wrote:Do you plan on using the rail for anything except for added weight? If so, avoid at all costs!

I can't think of anything. Maybe I'll pass on this one.
CarRacer

Postby Cuda66 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 pm

dshortone wrote:Do you plan on using the rail for anything except for added weight? If so, avoid at all costs!

I purchased a 2011 this fall, and promptly found out that no lights fit it (Insight, Streamlight, Surefire)!!!

My Insight WX150 works fine on mine...
Cuda66

Postby dshortone on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Cuda66 wrote:

My Insight WX150 works fine on mine...

Either they changed the spec on the rail or the WX150 is off m1913 spec. This issue isn't exclusive to me, it's also been noted with other owners.

ref:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=96791
dshortone

Return to Handguns