Glock Military and LE Special Pricing

Discussion of handguns

Re: Glock Military and LE Special Pricing

Postby Thunderjohn on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:16 pm

crbutler wrote:Good to see that.

Now I know just how much to spend on a Glock. (and no more...)

And no, I'm not LEO or Military, but what they can afford to sell to one private citizen, they can afford to another.

LE pricing is a lot below dealer cost, so don't go in to a shop expecting to buy one for a price close to that.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby crbutler on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 pm

As the so called original troll or douche, whichever... (love how all the guys using those terms never use a real name...)

I simply disagree with the policy.

Advertising costs are built in to the product. Sorry, Glock is not losing money because of the LE/Mil gun deal; if they are not, where does the corporate profit come from? Legitimate business practice. Just because I don't like it doesn't make it immoral or illegal. Disagreeing that a hidden cost policy is bad is wrong? The way I see it, if they did this like the add a buck campaign for the NRA, I would be all for it.

I have had discussions like this at a VFW, and actually, it was a HELL of a lot more civilized than it is here. Most vets are the greatest people one could hope to meet. Similarly, most LEO's are great folks. It seems some here are acting like keyboard commandos themselves.

As to Veterans benefits- As far as I am concerned, all of us who are making it in this country owe the vets for their service. Pretty simple. If we collectively owe the debt, we should pay it.

I just don't like it when someone privately collects the money for charity and then expects benefits (read good PR in this case) from giving out the charity while the rest of the folks who paid the bill get no respect for it. The retail customers foot the bill for Glock's generosity, in other words.

If someone can point out where I called anyone a name or disparaged any one individual, I will certainly apologize for that.

Otherwise, I am sorry if my disagreement with selective discounting bothers people. Truth be told, I think it bothers everybody who doesn't get it- just look at how people react when they find out someone brought a car or a motorcycle for a few hundred less that they paid for it.

As it is a sore spot,I won't bring it up here again. I thought discussion boards were for discussion, silly me.
crbutler

Postby dshortone on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 am

crbutler wrote:Firearms are one of the highest margin items to manufacture that I have knowledge of. Economy of scale with modern manufacturing techniques and they are cheap.

Quite the opposite actually. The margins are thin (typically 15-30%, depending on price and quality of firearm). Ammo, accessories, volume and low overhead are how companies stay in business.
dshortone

Postby Maniac117 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 am

:| :deadhorse:
MP5?
Maniac117

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:07 pm

crbutler wrote:I respect service members, and feel that the country owes the combat service members a hell of a lot more than we give them, but that is something that the country owes them, not a special pass at every chance.

There are two main reasons why LEO Glocks are cheaper.

- They aren't subject to Federal Excise Tax (over 50 bucks on every pistol)

- Advertising. Glock marketing figured out that many customers want the same guns the cops are carrying, so they want cops carrying Glocks. Looks like the strategy worked out pretty well for them.

As far as the military discounts go, it isn't just a "special pass" as you say. Making sure our guys are the best in the world means giving them the tools and skill set to succeed, and small arms proficiency is one of them. If we pay just a little more to make sure some new recruit gets a gun maybe he can't completely afford, and the ammo to practice with, I consider that a BARGAIN.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Motoman on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 pm

This is only applicable to sales made to agencies, not individual sales. That is why departments have a different (lower) LE price than individual officers.
http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/tax-exempt-sales.shtml

Squib Joe wrote:
crbutler wrote:I respect service members, and feel that the country owes the combat service members a hell of a lot more than we give them, but that is something that the country owes them, not a special pass at every chance.

There are two main reasons why LEO Glocks are cheaper.

- They aren't subject to Federal Excise Tax (over 50 bucks on every pistol)

- Advertising. Glock marketing figured out that many customers want the same guns the cops are carrying, so they want cops carrying Glocks. Looks like the strategy worked out pretty well for them.

As far as the military discounts go, it isn't just a "special pass" as you say. Making sure our guys are the best in the world means giving them the tools and skill set to succeed, and small arms proficiency is one of them. If we pay just a little more to make sure some new recruit gets a gun maybe he can't completely afford, and the ammo to practice with, I consider that a BARGAIN.
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby tacticalninja32 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:34 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:
ex-LT wrote: ETA - While you're at it, you might want to take Buck Knives; CVA (muzzleloading rifles); Burris, Leupold, Swift and Zeiss (optics); Lacrosse footwear; and Lyman off your list, too. They all offer discounts to FAS instructors through IHEA.

...add Crimson Trace to that list.

Hell, add Mancini's Char House to that list. I've seen St. Paul PD come in when it's packed, go to the head of the line, have a seat and eat for $0. I'm ALL in favor of it.

No one else's discount is taking anything out of MY pocket.

add holidays and SA to that too, they invite cops in for fresh coffee and donuts so they have a harden security presence for practically free
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby rtk on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:33 pm

tacticalninja32 wrote:
MrVvrroomm wrote:
ex-LT wrote: ETA - While you're at it, you might want to take Buck Knives; CVA (muzzleloading rifles); Burris, Leupold, Swift and Zeiss (optics); Lacrosse footwear; and Lyman off your list, too. They all offer discounts to FAS instructors through IHEA.

...add Crimson Trace to that list.

Hell, add Mancini's Char House to that list. I've seen St. Paul PD come in when it's packed, go to the head of the line, have a seat and eat for $0. I'm ALL in favor of it.

No one else's discount is taking anything out of MY pocket.

add holidays and SA to that too, they invite cops in for fresh coffee and donuts so they have a harden security presence for practically free

Cops + Donuts, Nah....I don't believe it!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby tman on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:22 am

rtk wrote: Cops + Donuts, Nah....I don't believe it!

Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby kowalzekc on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Why should military and LE get a special price? Because it is one of a few jobs where we work in conditions running towards danger, deal with compleat @ssholes tO make your life better, all for the greater good of society and on a "great salery". Ask me how I know. And to quote a movie, this is what your boys in green sometimes come home to:

And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and ****' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the ****' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.

So I ask you this, what have you done to earn a special price??
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby mnguy19 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 am

kowalzekc wrote:Why should military and LE get a special price? Because it is one of a few jobs where we work in conditions running towards danger, deal with compleat @ssholes tO make your life better, all for the greater good of society and on a "great salery". Ask me how I know. And to quote a movie, this is what your boys in green sometimes come home to:

And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and ****' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the ****' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.

So I ask you this, what have you done to earn a special price??

To go one further with this, military and LE are trained to properly use a firearm and know what they're doing. I think it's pretty reasonable to sell a weapon to someone at a discount who knows what the hell they're doing with it. Some guy who has never held a gun but is going through a mid-life crisis and has watched too many action movies doesn't need any easier access to buy a gun, in my opinion.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Postby TH3180 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

mnguy19 wrote:
To go one further with this, military and LE are trained to properly use a firearm and know what they're doing. I think it's pretty reasonable to sell a weapon to someone at a discount who knows what the hell they're doing with it. Some guy who has never held a gun but is going through a mid-life crisis and has watched too many action movies doesn't need any easier access to buy a gun, in my opinion.

So are you saying that since I have not been in the military and I'm not LE. I shouldn't be able to buy a gun?
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby mnguy19 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 pm

TH3180 wrote:
mnguy19 wrote:

So are you saying that since I have not been in the military and I'm not LE. I shouldn't be able to buy a gun?

Is that what I wrote? No? Then that's not what I'm saying. I wrote it exactly as I meant it. Someone who uses a firearm at work obviously knows what they are doing with them and use them more often. There is zero reason john doe should get a discount on firearms just because they think they ought to. Who would I rather be shooting with, military or LE with a firearm or you with a firearm? I'll pick the guy who uses one everyday. They deserve the discounts.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Postby TH3180 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 pm

mnguy19 wrote:
TH3180 wrote:
mnguy19 wrote:

Is that what I wrote? No? Then that's not what I'm saying. I wrote it exactly as I meant it. Someone who uses a firearm at work obviously knows what they are doing with them and use them more often. There is zero reason john doe should get a discount on firearms just because they think they ought to. Who would I rather be shooting with, military or LE with a firearm or you with a firearm? I'll pick the guy who uses one everyday. They deserve the discounts.

Wow calm down. I was just asking.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby Pezhead on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I know where this is going to go. :busy:
Pezhead

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns