Changing it up.

Discussion of handguns

Changing it up.

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey guys I'm going with what I think is a pretty good idea for me and have had good feedback on it thus far but wanted to see what this crowds input was on the matter.

I am going to be selling my .45 1911 for a 9mm Glock 17/19(there is a 17 from a LEO local to me I may jump on) why you may ask?

Ammo cost= I do not reload so for the time being I buy from the local stores and walmart 9mm is far cheaper then .45 example .23 cents per9 to .30 for .45 that dime can add up, I did some training over the weekend and found I need to work more on trigger control and by going with 9mm thus cheaper ammo I can afford to shoot more and become more proficient.

Only need to keep one kind of ammo around, I don't have to go get a box of 9mm and .45 I can get just 9mm for both of my guns.(current Sig is a 9mm)

Glock is not as hard to work on, I have trouble taking down the 1911 for cleaning with my CP affecting my right hand so less parts and no bushing thing to shoot across the room and break things. :shock:

Glock is lighter and smaller bit more easy to carry

more bullets in the magazine means less time reloading more time shooting

gives me the option of a rail mounted light for home defence

if issues arise finding a Glock Armorer is much more easy then a 1911 one

in theory I can do work on a Glock on my own, a 1911? you guys though Shippy was entertaining? I would be like a monkey.
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Re: Changing it up.

Postby justaguy on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

mn_smokeater wrote:Hey guys I'm going with what I think is a pretty good idea for me and have had good feedback on it thus far but wanted to see what this crowds input was on the matter.

I am going to be selling my .45 1911 for a 9mm Glock 17/19(there is a 17 from a LEO local to me I may jump on) why you may ask?

Ammo cost= I do not reload so for the time being I buy from the local stores and walmart 9mm is far cheaper then .45 example .23 cents per9 to .30 for .45 that dime can add up, I did some training over the weekend and found I need to work more on trigger control and by going with 9mm thus cheaper ammo I can afford to shoot more and become more proficient.

Only need to keep one kind of ammo around, I don't have to go get a box of 9mm and .45 I can get just 9mm for both of my guns.(current Sig is a 9mm)

Glock is not as hard to work on, I have trouble taking down the 1911 for cleaning with my CP affecting my right hand so less parts and no bushing thing to shoot across the room and break things. :shock:

in theory I can do work on a Glock on my own, a 1911? you guys though Shippy was entertaining? I would be like a monkey.

Wow, when you put it like that, its almost like the Glock is better than a 1911?
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

justaguy wrote:
mn_smokeater wrote:Hey guys I'm going with what I think is a pretty good idea for me and have had good feedback on it thus far but wanted to see what this crowds input was on the matter.

Wow, when you put it like that, its almost like the Glock is better than a 1911?

In my case at this time yes :stirthepot:

I will now await the :angryvillagers:
mn_smokeater

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Sounds like the Glock fits your personal needs/wants better.
yuppiejr

Postby CarryCauseICan on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm

So? What's the issue? :?
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby Eric Marleau on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Just cleaned my 1911s tonight.
Wouldn't trade them for any other gun.
But even being of good health things can go flying once in a while when cleaning.

Not a bad move on your part.
Just make sure that you get a good deal for your 1911.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Why not get a 22 cal setup for your 1911. Then you would be saving ALOT on ammo.
Sorcerer

Postby justaguy on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 am

Sorcerer wrote:Why not get a 22 cal setup for your 1911. Then you would be saving ALOT on ammo.

Because its still a 1911, that weights more, carries less rounds, has a lot more parts, is harder to find someone competent to work on it, is larger, and doesn't have a rail. For starters.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby mn_smokeater on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:30 pm

justaguy wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:Why not get a 22 cal setup for your 1911. Then you would be saving ALOT on ammo.

Because its still a 1911, that weights more, carries less rounds, has a lot more parts, is harder to find someone competent to work on it, is larger, and doesn't have a rail. For starters.

To add to this .22 would save tons yes and could shoot oodles more but it does not have the feel that .45 has and has different POI/POI at least from what I noticed from trying a guys kimber .45 .22 slide it shifted the hits impacts. Then of course I would have to buy the kit to add on.
mn_smokeater

Postby Eric Marleau on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Don't forget the original post guys.
Smokeater has CP, and that is why he can't use a 1911, because of the difficulty of cleaning one.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby mn_smokeater on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Eric Marleau wrote:Don't forget the original post guys.
Smokeater has CP, and that is why he can't use a 1911, because of the difficulty of cleaning one.

Eric

Oh Thank You Eric I see you got what I meant but for those who missed it CP means Cerebral Palsy. Because of it my right hand has a limited range of motion and strength and control of what strength I do have. For example my Sig P6 if it still has a 24LB DA issue spec trigger pull I can only pull it 3 times in DA before I can not pull it anymore because my strength is gone but that is a DA/SA is good for me. So compressing the Recoil plug for me really sucks holding it down on a 1911, my hands get tired and beat up pretty good. Taurus did provide a bushing wrench thing so that helps a bit.

An Irony? My good eye is on the right I shoot rifle right handed shoot pistol left hand carry left side kinda screwy huh?
mn_smokeater

Postby justaguy on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:01 pm

So this settles it.

A Glock is better than a 1911.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby gwilley1 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:03 pm

justaguy wrote:So this settles it.

A Glock is better than a 1911.

:stirthepot:
Shipyard wrote:
after all, it's on you forever son. damn well better make sure it drops panties :P
gwilley1

Changing it up.

Postby JoeH on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 pm

I can't disagree with your logic or reasoning. The 1911 platform is not for everyone. A striker fired, polymer pistol should serve you well.

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby The Lance on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm

you have my vote to go with a glock..

Getting a glock 17 or a 19?
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Next

Return to Handguns