1911s Suck

Discussion of handguns

1911s Suck

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Just ask Yeager...

Thunder71

Re: 1911s Suck

Postby Grayskies on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:51 pm

I agree with him alot, I love 1911s but I carry a Glock, and would not most Carry 1911s.

If I could afford a hand made custom 1911, things would be different.

Maybe the title should be off the shelf 1911s mostly suck.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rem700 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Guns that dont work SUCK
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Countryfried Frank on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Just a couple of observations:
    I want my 8 minutes back.

I don't believe his anecdotal evidence is sufficient to support his ratio of functioning 1911's to non-functioning Glocks.

By his no excuses "you press the **** trigger and it goes bang" judgement I've seen a metric crap-ton of non-functioning Glocks due to crap in the mag and crap handloads.

He isn't entirely wrong regarding manufacturing processes.

And one last observation by my darling 4 year old daughter, "Daddy, that guy is naughty. He has his finger in the trigger guard." Who was his instructor?

I don't carry my 1911, I don't (usually) use my J-frame in competition and I don't grab my HK when things go bump in the night. To say that one of the three sucks because it doesn't run well in one environment would be short sighted. They are merely different tools for different jobs. But hey, I'm just an internet commando with P90x and too small of a t-shirt.

Grayskies wrote:I agree with him alot, I love 1911s but I carry a Glock, and would not most Carry 1911s.

I don't blame you. I would not carry anything that I have not personally seen operate reliably.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Larry the cable guy has summed that video up quite well.\
"Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. That there is funny"

:lol:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby s4s4u on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:50 pm

I won't conceal carry a 1911, not because of reliability but because mine weigh too dang much ;-)

Seriously, I love the 45 ACP but carry a CW45. I just can't do a Glock.
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 am

i like how he points out the arguement of the Glock grip angle and how it's all BS to him. "the 1911 was designed with an arched mainspring". FALSE. that was a change to the original design (rendering it the 1911A1) required by military bigwigs because (and this is just what i've been led to understand) many shooters were holding the pistol too low and therefore couldn't get a good, high grip on the gun. so, they arched the mainspring.
i could take that a few steps further:
-1911's weren't good for new shooters because of (namely in this case) the flat mainspring housing
-1911A1's were better for new or inexperienced shooters because the arched msh allowed them to handle the firearm with more ease
-today, over 100 years after the DESIGN of the pistol, arched mainsprings are few and far between on readily available 1911's
-a 1911 costs more (in many cases) than a Glock

this lends to a conclusion: 1911's are purchased by people with experience and some sort of training. the lower buck firearms will always sell to the new shooter (and Shippy if it's a Jennings or Raven). my theory is that the 1911 is as good as any other mechanical object. it has a breaking point unique to each specific firearm, just as two identical cars can last different lenghts of time. if you take care of your mechanical object, let's say it's a motorcycle, you'll be able to ride that thing until you die. case in point, i have a friend with a 1947 HD Knucklehead that's been ridden hard and put away wet for the last 5 years or so. he's taken that beast across the country, from Left coast to Right, top to bottom, and everywhere in between. his bike has NEVER left him stranded, but other's with newer, more efficient designs, are the bikes breaking down because they blew a head gasket. or they had a valve spring snap off.

if you maintain it, it will last.

my comparison is that a Glock 17 is a Toyota Corolla. it'll run forever, with very little maintenince performed. a 1911 is more comparable to a classic, old American Steel kinda car. they'll run forever if you TAKE THE DAMN TIME TO CHANGE YOUR OIL! ADJUST YOUR VALVES! REBUILD YOUR CARBURATOR!

and this Yeager guy? i don't like him. not because of anything he's said in that video, but because of the tough guy image he's trying to portray. buy your shirts in the correct size, and realise that you're not an MMA fighter! why is this douche wearing douche clothes?! i've not taken a class of his, and it might be the best, but if an intructor shows up wearing TapOut or Affliction... i'm walking outta the room. at least wear a damn polo shirt! it doesn't need a tie (which is good, because with his immense love for Glocks, and southern drawl, i'm going to assume that he's not the brightest bulb on the tree and couldn't pull off an effin Windsor Knot to save his life)

end rant
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby tman on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:27 am

I specifically chose a cheaper 1911 for carry, partly because of the looser tolerances. Go figure.

Ah, but now I have a G19! I'm GOLDEN!
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 am

rukwikenuf wrote:and this Yeager guy? i don't like him. not because of anything he's said in that video, but because of the tough guy image he's trying to portray. buy your shirts in the correct size, and realise that you're not an MMA fighter! why is this douche wearing douche clothes?! i've not taken a class of his, and it might be the best, but if an intructor shows up wearing TapOut or Affliction... i'm walking outta the room. at least wear a damn polo shirt! it doesn't need a tie (which is good, because with his immense love for Glocks, and southern drawl, i'm going to assume that he's not the brightest bulb on the tree and couldn't pull off an effin Windsor Knot to save his life) end rant

Did you forget about the fact he put a cameraman downrange with live fire? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YYd8Rh50g4
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009 ... ing-video/

"Safety is this a unobtainable thing, it it doesn't exist. True safety does not exist. Aaah, an this is not only a philosophical standpoint, that a scientific fact. True safety does not exist." -- James Yeager
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Lunchbox on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 am

"Safety is this a unobtainable thing, it it doesn't exist. True safety does not exist. Aaah, an this is not only a philosophical standpoint, that a scientific fact. True safety does not exist." -- James Yeager

That quote right there assuming it's actually from him just proves he's a total asshat. Let alone the fact putting a camera man in the line of fire. He could tell me the sky is blue and there's no way I'd believe him.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby unknown on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:i...buy your shirts in the correct size, and realise that you're not an MMA fighter! why is this douche wearing douche clothes?! i've not taken a class of his, and it might be the best, but if an intructor shows up wearing TapOut or Affliction... i'm walking outta the room. at least wear a damn polo shirt! it doesn't need a tie (which is good, because with his immense love for Glocks, and southern drawl, i'm going to assume that he's not the brightest bulb on the tree and couldn't pull off an effin Windsor Knot to save his life)

ha, thats awesome. +1 on that.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby cigartim on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm

This guy's absolutism destroys is credibility in my opinion. If he would have said something like "in my experience glocks have fewer malfunctions than 1911s," I would have given him some credence. But " almost all glocks work perfectly and almost all 1911s don't function reliably,"... Really? Gimme a break. I call B.S.

Also, +1 on the affliction. Take off that douchey garbage.
cigartim

Postby SparkyJeff on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:49 pm

cigartim wrote:This guy's absolutism destroys is credibility in my opinion. If he would have said something like "in my experience glocks have fewer malfunctions than 1911s," I would have given him some credence. But " almost all glocks work perfectly and almost all 1911s don't function reliably,"... Really? Gimme a break. I call B.S.

Also, +1 on the affliction. Take off that douchey garbage.

I'm not a member of the debate team, but i do know that the quickest way to lose an argument is to overstate your argument.

"All 1911s suck" ........ Wrong, end of story, end of argument.
He talks about 1911 owners, and makes them sound like "elitists" while at the same time sounding like a GLOCK "elitist" himself.

What is going on with his right shoulder and arm? I lost track of how many times that shoulder went back, up, then forward almost as a spasm.
It looks like he is limbering up and getting ready to punch a 1911 guy in the face.

http://changingminds.org/techniques/bod ... nguage.htm
Circling
Circling the shoulders may be done forwards or backwards, with one or both shoulders. This is often done to exercise a stiff shoulder, which may have been held tensely (and hence may indicate anxiety). This may also be accompanied by rotating or leaning of the neck and other muscle-exercising movements.

This exercising can signal that the person is readying themselves for action and perhaps combat, and hence may be used as a sign of aggression.

When done whilst the other person is talking and it would be polite to listen carefully, this deliberate breaking of protocol can be an insulting signal of power ('You are so unimportant I do not need to bother listening politely').

I'm not sure if this is science, but the mans demeanor makes me want to avoid him.

As far as calling him a douche, I think that might be giving him more credit than he deserves...
Real douches have done wonderful things. Jest sayin'... ;)
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:30 am

As a pulbic service to all on MNGuntalk since 1911's have been shown to suck and none of you should have to deal with disposal of such a worthless peice of metal, I hereby volunteer to take care of proper disposal of all the 1911's currently owned by members of this forum.

Please be sure to inlcude any unused ammo you have as well.
Holland&Holland

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 am

Holland&Holland wrote:As a pulbic service to all on MNGuntalk since 1911's have been shown to suck and none of you should have to deal with disposal of such a worthless peice of metal, I hereby volunteer to take care of proper disposal of all the 1911's currently owned by members of this forum.

Please be sure to inlcude any unused ammo you have as well.

good thing that Strad keeps calling my SIG a 1911-shaped object, with the squared off SIG slide and the external extractor. that means that i've still got a nice gun!

otherwise, H&H, that's a very kind gesture of you. if you need assistance, i'd be glad to offer my (non-sexual) services
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Next

Return to Handguns