DIY Kel tec pf9 steel guide rod

Discussion of handguns

DIY Kel tec pf9 steel guide rod

Postby System7 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm

So I bought a kel tec pf9 today and I think it's a pretty neat gun for the money. While tearing it down for it's first cleaning I was surprised to find that they used really flimsy plastic for the guide rod.

After I was done cleaning everything I was looking at the parts laid out on my cluttered workbench when I noticed a large framing nail which got me thinking.

There were a couple little differences but the nail was a near match. The head of the nail would need to be reshaped, the teeth would need to be smoothed out and it would need to be cut to length. Not ideal, but it would work.

While I was at it, I decided to polish the barrel too.

In the end it turned out a lot better than I expected. I double and triple checked everything to make sure all the measurements were exact and it assembled and cycled flawlessly.

I am taking it to the range tomorrow. I don't foresee any problems, but I'll let you know if it blows up.
System7

Re: DIY Kel tec pf9 steel guide rod

Postby GeekyGunman on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 pm

KelTek does sell a metal guide rod as an accessory for $7.45
http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/p1 ... fits-pf-9/

I'm all for home gunsmithing though and I've sure yours is a bit cheaper so long as you don't count labor ;) I love to tinker with my guns.

Only warning is that the metal guide rod is known to knock into the bottom of the cone on the end of the barrel and peen it.
It can also wallow out the hole that the guide rod rides in.
(Take a look around on http://www.thektog.org/forum/f95/ , the pictures aren't pretty.)

There really aren't any (or extremely few) reports of the guide rod causing issues.
It's just a "feels flimsy" aesthetic issue where metal rod is a solution in search of a problem.

Your gun, your mileage may vary, you can do whatever you want, etc etc.
Just thought you might like to know. :D
Last edited by GeekyGunman on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeekyGunman

Postby gyrfalcon on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the info, have you tried firing it yet? I'd be interested to seeing what sort of wear the guide rod and barrel had after a few boxes of ammo.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:36 am

Check that Ktog website for the experience of many.

You may be interested that a retired machinist has started marketing a well tested ALUMINUM REPLACEMENT TRIGGER.

Those who use it like it....it's only $40 or so and you can download the complete instalation pdf from the guys website Northwood industries I think.

BTW what did you polish the barrel with...loose sandpaper by hand or bench mounted wheel?
Humphrey Bogart

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 am

When you reshaped the mail head di you alter the part where the sping sits. If not you may have issues the the sprint riding out over the head, if you did you may have strenght issues based on how nail heads are formed.
mmcnx2

Postby old guy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:16 am

I put the northwoods aluminum trigger in one of my pf9s and in my p11, it helps the pf9 a little but it really does a lot for the p11.

John
old guy

Postby System7 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:40 am

I used a dremel on the barrel.

So i want to thank you guys for pooping all over my party. Ha. I looked into the issues you pointed out and decided to put the plastic rod back in for now. Feels like i'm being overly cautious for a $200 gun, but it's going to be my carry gun for a little while (until xds comes in 9mm) so better safe than sorry.

I dont think i would have had the same issues as others. My rod was slightly thinner than the stock rod and didnt even touch the frame. Also if you look at my pics the end of my rod doesnt even come close to hitting the end of the barrel.

I am not giving up on this. I am just going to hold off until my life doest rely on this gun.

mmcnx2 wrote:When you reshaped the mail head di you alter the part where the sping sits. If not you may have issues the the sprint riding out over the head, if you did you may have strenght issues based on how nail heads are formed.

I was thinking about this too. I just used a nail that i had laying around. If i were to make a perm rod i would buy a nail that was closer in size and shape to the stock rod.
System7

Postby System7 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:41 am

old guy wrote:I put the northwoods aluminum trigger in one of my pf9s and in my p11, it helps the pf9 a little but it really does a lot for the p11.

John

I should look into that, I hate the trigger on this thing.
System7

Postby GeekyGunman on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:41 pm

System7 wrote:Also if you look at my pics the end of my rod doesnt even come close to hitting the end of the barrel.

It's under recoil that it happens, they're pretty snappy and it tends to bounce around enough to hit it.

System7 wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:When you reshaped the mail head di you alter the part where the sping sits. If not you may have issues the the sprint riding out over the head, if you did you may have strenght issues based on how nail heads are formed.

I was thinking about this too. I just used a nail that i had laying around. If i were to make a perm rod i would buy a nail that was closer in size and shape to the stock rod.

Keep in mind the spring assembly is pretty well captive once the gun is assembled. If you were careful, you could probably even get it together and functional without any rod at all.
GeekyGunman

Postby System7 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 am

I took it to the range yesterday with the stock plastic rod... Very disapointed. I was able to get through the first 2 magazines no problem. After the 2nd mag i was getting FTE ever other round. I tore it down, cleaned it, and still failed to eject. I kept on with it for another 75 rounds hoping it woukd work itself out. By the end it was fte every single round. With, or without the mag in.

I am taking it back today. Thanks for watching, close this tread.
System7

Postby old guy on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

That sounds exactly like the Frankenbolt is loose, the PF9 and the p3at are famous for this.
Check the screw that holds the axtractor spring, if that is loose it will do just what you describe, that is the screw that is rite there on the outside of the gun.

John
old guy

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:45 pm

My PF-9 is in limbo as well.

#1 Change ammo ...try Federal champion

#2 I'm going to 'tune' the extractor....that area must be clean.

#3 Kel-Tec will send you a new extractor kit for free....just call them.

http://www.thektog.org is their website....lots of info there.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby promod1385 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
promod1385

Return to Handguns