Anyone have experience with these revolvers?

Discussion of handguns

Anyone have experience with these revolvers?

Postby gunforhire on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 am

Model 720 hammerless in .44 special.

pic from the internets that don't do it justice

the one I seen has around 50 rounds through it and looks immaculate. built around 20 yrs ago and bought new by a co worker and he still has the box and paperwork. He wants to sell it to me for 300

anyone have any experience with them?? anything I should watch out for??
Last edited by gunforhire on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Re: Opinions on a Rossi

Postby Evo on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am

What is the intended purpose of the gun? Range,defensive, competition?

You asked for opinions so I'll give mine. If you want a good revolver stay away from
Rossi, you pay for what you get.

If want a 44 get a older S&W, I prefer the older 357 mags.

Then after that are the Rugers. I am not that familiar with the different lines and stuff but the Ruger sp101 with a little work done to them make for a nice gun.

Save a little more and get something that is a better product.

Edit: Someone just posted up some trouble they are experiencing with their Rossi revolver.
Evo

Re: Opinions on a Rossi

Postby gunforhire on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I have no intent on it yet, I am kicking around the idea of picking it up though. I would use it as a trail or truck gun, so it might see occasional carry. I shoot my carry guns, so it would see the range just like my others. I don't think it would be a worthy competition gun though. It may just sit in the back of the safe for a bit, ready for the next gun and ammo buying hysteria :mrgreen:

I should add that I am well aware of the quality differences and for me S&W or Colt is always going to be best. Rugers are built like tanks and can be handled accordingly with no issues, the rest, to me aren't ever gonna be as good. I guess what I am asking is if anyone has had any first hand accounts with these guns, as in owned or shot them. Evo, thank you for stating the obvious :lol:

I also chanced the title of the post, in hopes of getting some hands-on thoughts on this thing
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

gunforhire

Re: Anyone have experience with these revolvers?

Postby Shipyard on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

meh. 44 special. not a big fan of the caliber. if you're going to go 44, you need to go magnum. you ahve the ability to shoot specials then too, but a 44 WITHOUT being able to shoot mags? what's the point?

ammo = hard to find/expensive. plan on reloadin' if you want to shoot it much at all. and you still don't get the fun of mags.....

as far as a rossi - you get what you pay for. seen good, seen bad. woul;dn't use it for defense.

Shippy's $0.02
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby rugersol on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 pm

$360 brand new ... http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=2-445021UL&mfg=Taurus

.44spl is expensive! ... so's .44mag! ... and .357! ... and .38! ... in a revolver, I couldn't see not reloading any of 'em!

9mm might not be so bad ... and IIRC, they make one of them, too!

years ago, I got a good deal on a .41 ... went straight to the store, and instead of a couple boxes of ammo, I bought a set of dies, bag of brass, and a box of bullets! ... I now own 3 more, and have yet to buy a box of factory ammo!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby gunforhire on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm

rugersol wrote:$360 brand new ... http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=2-445021UL&mfg=Taurus

.44spl is expensive! ... so's .44mag! ... and .357! ... and .38! ... in a revolver, I couldn't see not reloading any of 'em!

9mm might not be so bad ... and IIRC, they make one of them, too!

years ago, I got a good deal on a .41 ... went straight to the store, and instead of a couple boxes of ammo, I bought a set of dies, bag of brass, and a box of bullets! ... I now own 3 more, and have yet to buy a box of factory ammo!

that new one, made by tore-ass now, is it going to better or worse quality though?

gunforhire

Postby rugersol on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

I never owned a Rossi!

I did have basically this same gun, in .45 Colt ... wish I'd never traded it! YMMV!

Bear in mind, this is still no S&W! ... fer that, ya pay 100% more!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby gunforhire on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 pm

well, I think I am gonna try to get this thing. I was gonna get my reloading setup first, but what's one more gun I will want to reload for anyway amirite?? If I don't like it, i will likely hang on to it anyway.

gunforhire

Postby mnguy19 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Do NOT buy a Rossi. I bought a 357 new and had to sell it before I could even fire it; lucky for me. The guy I sold it to had the cyclinder get stuck and wouldn't rotate after being fired and he had hot brass flying back at his face. Don't buy it to save money, for your own safety.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Postby s4s4u on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm

a 44 WITHOUT being able to shoot mags? what's the point?

Well I gues that would be dependant upon the intended use now, wouldn't it? You can kill a deer just fine with a 240 leaving the muzzle at 1,100 FPS as 1,400 FPS. Either will go clean through a human - and the human behind them, if for SD use. Why put up with Magnum recoil, noise and flash if not needed.
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Return to Handguns