So, where to go for some 1911 work...

Discussion of handguns

Re: So, where to go for some 1911 work...

Postby TTS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Ranger01 wrote:
The Barrel link just feels a lot looser than it used to and the barrel lug is showing a bit more wear than it probably should...

That wear does look excessive. Here is mine with about 10K through it and many years in a Mexican gang members waistband (it was stolen).

A few things to look for are how the barrel lines up with the feed ramp (this is with the slide stop holding the barrel link)

Also look to make sure the area behind the lower lugs (on the frame) has a recess cut. You should see a "bow tie" at the top.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Well, here's what I got:

Couple other misc issues:

Ranger01

Postby Cuda66 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Ranger01 wrote:What is the difference between the Custom Carry and the Ultimate Tactical Carry other than ambi safety, grips, trigger, 1 mag and $10?

ETA:
Now I'm looking at just saying screw it and getting this:
http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/pwnn.shtml

Then having them add the couple things I'd want on top of that.

Baer vs GI

Thoughts? (I'm still interested in other suggestions though).

You've pretty much nailed the differences.

The UTC is what used to be called the Thunder Ranch Special...if it had been available back when I ordered my Baer, I would have gotten it instead of my Custom Carry (no offense to Clint Smith, but I just didn't want the Thunder Ranch rollmark, and I don't know if I was able to delete it). And I like my Custom Carry a LOT.

And...I've never had a chance to shoot one, but from what I've seen, Guncrafter's makes NICE pistols.
Cuda66

Postby TTS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Ranger01 wrote:Well, here's what I got:

I thought you were going to sleep! :)

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but your feed ramp looks jacked and based on the pictures you posted before it doent look like they cut the feet on your lower lug.

When you press down on the barrel hood does it unlock?

I would send that back to Ruger before doing any work to it... The barrel is already throated, so it shouldn't have any issues feeding HP's.
Owner
TTS

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 pm

I was planning on sleep but time gets away from me on the week(ends). Haha

Well assembled, no, it locks up pretty tight. There are some pretty bad casting/ machining flaws internally, and the usual SR1911 beavertail gaps...

As far as sending it to Ruger... well Id still need to get a holster for my Smith & Wesson 27 before I can let it go off.
Ranger01

Postby TTS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Ranger01 wrote:I was planning on sleep but time gets away from me on the week(ends). Haha

Well assembled, no, it locks up pretty tight. There are some pretty bad casting/ machining flaws internally, and the usual SR1911 beavertail gaps...

As far as sending it to Ruger... well Id still need to get a holster for my Smith & Wesson 27 before I can let it go off.

I wonder what the problem is then? All of my 1911's have been able to feed empty cases to say nothing of hollow points... There has got to be some issue with the feed ramp geometry/mag interface.
Owner
TTS

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Yea, mags are a likely possibility as well. Ive tried a couple different ones, but they all ftf on the last round requiring a swift palm strike at best. A CMC mag I tried actually got the round in infront of the extractor... that was a PITA requiring 6 or 7 slingshots of the slide to force the extractor over the rim to get the round out. Nedless to say that mag went in the garbage right away.
Ranger01

Postby TTS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Ranger01 wrote:Yea, mags are a likely possibility as well. Ive tried a couple different ones, but they all ftf on the last round requiring a swift palm strike at best. A CMC mag I tried actually got the round in infront of the extractor... that was a PITA requiring 6 or 7 slingshots of the slide to force the extractor over the rim to get the round out. Nedless to say that mag went in the garbage right away.

If you have tried multiple mags, I am going to say it is a feed ramp/barrel issue.
Owner
TTS

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Yea, I still need to give Tripp Research mags a shot as well as Wilson, but Colt, Kimber, CMC, Checkmate, and Mec Gar mags have the issue. If it is the ramp/ barrel Im either gonna get rid of it or send it off... getting rid of it would give me a couple hundred extra to go after that LB SRP or even a full custom...
Ranger01

Postby TTS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Ranger01 wrote:Yea, I still need to give Tripp Research mags a shot as well as Wilson, but Colt, Kimber, CMC, Checkmate, and Mec Gar mags have the issue. If it is the ramp/ barrel Im either gonna get rid of it or send it off... getting rid of it would give me a couple hundred extra to go after that LB SRP or even a full custom...

If you are going to sell it, try and get Ruger to fix it. You will A - get more money or B - Sleep better knowing you didn't sell a defective gun.
Owner
TTS

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 pm

True, but with the current situation I wonder how long it will take and how well it will be fixed. Most SR1911 repair threads I saw ended up with new guns from the seconds bin it seems...
Ranger01

Postby JoeH on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 pm

1. Your extractor is too tight. As this always happens on the last round in the mag, the mag spring is just about out of ooomph. If the extractor is too tight, the mag spring can't push the round behind the extractor.

2. Weak mag springs. Good mags and fresh springs can really help.

3. Recoil spring. Have a fresh one in the gun of at least 16#. You can even go 18# using factory ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Mag springs are still pretty stiff in the Ruger mags, its a PITA to get the last round in. The recoil spring is (I believe an 18# and still has plenty of strength. The extractor issue is interesting, wouldn't that affect its ability with FMJ as well though? FMJ feeds perfect, only issues have been with HSTs. I'll have to do an extractor test to check.
Ranger01

Postby JoeH on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 pm

The FMJs are easier to feed and resist the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 pm

True... hm... Well I tested the tension on my extractor, it seems that it is actually a bit on the looser side of spec.
Ranger01

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns