Gunbroker

Discussion of handguns

Gunbroker

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm

I've been looking for a particular handgun for a while. With no local stock, I've turned to Gunbroker. The thing I can't seem to reconcile is that a few select sellers seem to have an infinite supply of this particular model (which i understand to be in short supply and seems to run contrary to what they say when i call or email asking about their inventory).

Are pawn shops and small gun shops smart enough to buy up a ton of stock of a particular model, "cornering the market?"
Perhaps winning bidders don't pay resulting in an immediate relisting?

I'm usual teh smartest guy on the Internet. What am I missing?
Ron Burgundy

Re: Gunbroker

Postby Evad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm

What specifically are you looking for?

The Glock 19 is "impossible" these days and Arnzen had one for me the morning after I stopped in. I realize I lucked out...but most guns are around somewhere.
Evad

Postby Jbotto on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I've noticed that same thing about a gunshop in North-Central MN... Always has a hard to get item. I don't get it!
Jbotto

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Gen 4 34.

It just seems odd to me that when I call a storefront, they only have 1 left but then have 3 auctions for it on Gunbroker. Of course, I could just buy it when I call but that is too simple.

Not bitching about pricing or anything, just can't figure it out.
Ron Burgundy

Postby Evad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:Gen 4 34.

Here ya go.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-34-Ge ... o/G34GEN4/

Poop. Forget it...backordered. They used to pull when that happened.
Evad

Postby Inspiribomb on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 pm

A guy I work with just got burned on an auction he won. After sending payment and no gun or tracking info for a week or so, he called to see what was up. Turns out this rather large shop didn't even have possession of the gun! He eventually got his money back, but ridiculous if you ask me. Apparently they did this with a number of other models as well.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Inspiribomb wrote:A guy I work with just got burned on an auction he won. After sending payment and no gun or tracking info for a week or so, he called to see what was up. Turns out this rather large shop didn't even have possession of the gun! He eventually got his money back, but ridiculous if you ask me. Apparently they did this with a number of other models as well.

That's kinda what I'm afraid of.
Ron Burgundy

Postby grousemaster on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
Inspiribomb wrote:A guy I work with just got burned on an auction he won. After sending payment and no gun or tracking info for a week or so, he called to see what was up. Turns out this rather large shop didn't even have possession of the gun! He eventually got his money back, but ridiculous if you ask me. Apparently they did this with a number of other models as well.

I would file a complaint with GB, that's ridiculous.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 am

grousemaster wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:

I would file a complaint with GB, that's ridiculous.

I agree, totally ridiculous. Apparently its a huge place with thousands of positive feedback. Either way, crummy business practice and absolutely absurd in my opinion.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm

I've done more deals than I can count on Gunbroker. I've only had one issue with a non-paying bidder. It all worked out fine for me, I relisted the item and sold it for more the 2nd time.

To the original poster: If you see something you want, bid like you want it, pay for it, pick it up at your local FFL.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby morepower02 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:13 pm

I have noticed this with a XDS I am trying to purchase. A rather large dealer in central MN says they do not have any on hand when you call and ask but they have 2 or 3 at a time on Gunbroker for more than retail.
morepower02

Postby grousemaster on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 pm

morepower02 wrote:I have noticed this with a XDS I am trying to purchase. A rather large dealer in central MN says they do not have any on hand when you call and ask but they have 2 or 3 at a time on Gunbroker for more than retail.

They probably just mean they don't have any for local sale, i.e. they would rather sell on gunbroker for market price than sell to you at retail price.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Devious Delight on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Jbotto wrote:I've noticed that same thing about a gunshop in North-Central MN... Always has a hard to get item. I don't get it!

Hey Jake! which item? Or is it a big secret?
Devious Delight

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 pm

grousemaster wrote:They probably just mean they don't have any for local sale, i.e. they would rather sell on gunbroker for market price than sell to you at retail price.

^^^ this
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Ron Burgundy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am

MrVvrroomm wrote:
grousemaster wrote:They probably just mean they don't have any for local sale, i.e. they would rather sell on gunbroker for market price than sell to you at retail price.

^^^ this

I'm no economist, but wouldn't the sale price be the market price, regardless if completed through a store front or through GB?
Ron Burgundy

Next

Return to Handguns