Scope for a Handgun

Discussion of handguns

Re: Scope for a Handgun

Postby s4s4u on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 am

So then you just have to worry about a dead battery because you did not turn it off last time you used it.

I put in a new battery when I check my zero each preseason. You could leave the sight on for months, 24 hours a day, and still have a dot. Just for kicks I have a red dot on my bench that has not been turned off since deer season and it is still working. I have used and still use some scopes, but my revolvers all wear dots now. Use what you want but don't poopoo someone's suggestion when you have no experience.....eh???
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Postby Hmac on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

Remembering to change batteries on an electro-optical sighting system as part of your pre-season hunting preparation is a big deal? Doesn't everybody check their zero before going out into the woods to hunt once a year?
Hmac

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Hmac wrote:Remembering to change batteries on an electro-optical sighting system as part of your pre-season hunting preparation is a big deal? Doesn't everybody check their zero before going out into the woods to hunt once a year?

You only hunt once a year? :P
Holland&Holland

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 pm

That bright orange stripe of paint on the front sight of my Redhawk never needs changing, fogs-up or requires investment in a new holster. :)

I was looking at EER/scout scopes for a Gunsite Scout Rifle and later a SOCOM16 - the usual suspects had great offerings, Weaver's variables impressed me as did the Nikon, Leu and Burris offerings. Lots of good options, it really comes down to your budget and preferences in magnification. I've seen some great advice on using a lower power 2-3x max scope but I've never hunted with one on a pistol. My experience hunting with a 10x fixed power scope on a rifle at short range (because I'm an occasional dumbass and bring a bench-target rifle deer hunting) taught me real quick that you can find and get a clean shot on a moving deer (2 in fact) even at higher than needed magnification if you simply use both eyes.. though I don't know that I could describe the technique I used since it literally just came together on the spot (gun mounted, use both eyes to track the target until it's clearly in the optic and then make the shot normally).
yuppiejr

Postby LePetomane on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:13 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon Force? I have three Nikon Scopes on my rifles and like them. Does anyone have one on a handgun?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby s4s4u on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Hmac wrote:Remembering to change batteries on an electro-optical sighting system as part of your pre-season hunting preparation is a big deal? Doesn't everybody check their zero before going out into the woods to hunt once a year?

Whether once a year or year 'round, it's no big deal to drop in a fresh set once in a while ;-)
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

Well, yes. If that.

More to the point, every time I pick up a firearm that I'm planning to carry or use, I check its magazine and chamber, status of its safety, and if it uses an electro-optical sight, the condition of its battery.
Hmac

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:34 am

Hmac wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Well, yes. If that.

More to the point, every time I pick up a firearm that I'm planning to carry or use, I check its magazine and chamber, status of its safety, and if it uses an electro-optical sight, the condition of its battery.

You need to get out more my friend.
Holland&Holland

Postby Hmac on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 am

Holland&Holland wrote:You need to get out more my friend.

You don't check the condition of your firearms before taking them out of the safe or strapping them on? Hmmm.....

IMHO, safe and effective firearms handling, whether it be carrying for self protection or hunting, is about preparation and making sure that your tools are in condition appropriate to the task. You should know that. Who was your instructor?
Hmac

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 am

Hmac wrote:

You don't check the condition of your firearms before taking them out of the safe or strapping them on? Hmmm.....

IMHO, safe and effective firearms handling, whether it be carrying for self protection or hunting, is about preparation and making sure that your tools are in condition appropriate to the task. You should know that. Who was your instructor?[/quote

You mis-understood my humor. I do check them before taking them out and strapeeing them on as well as many times in inbetween. My point was if you are only going hunting once per year you are missing out on a whole world of fun. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Hmac on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:38 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Hmac wrote:

IMHO, safe and effective firearms handling, whether it be carrying for self protection or hunting, is about preparation and making sure that your tools are in condition appropriate to the task. You should know that. Who was your instructor?[/quote

You mis-understood my humor. I do check them before taking them out and strapeeing them on as well as many times in inbetween. My point was if you are only going hunting once per year you are missing out on a whole world of fun. ;)

Ah. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And I did forget the smiley after asking who your instructor was.

I'm not a big hunter but it's not for lack of exposure, familiarity, nor is it ethical objection. I don't particularly care for the taste of either venison or duck and after years of hunting since I was 12, I've come to the point where I don't particularly care to go out into the woods to kill an animal just to kill it. I do hunt birds, and I have no objection to laying waste to overly encroaching critters or varmints, so squirrels, porcupines, and muskrats are at high risk in my little corner of the world. But I use my 10-22 far more than my 30.06 or Super Blackhawk these days.
Hmac

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 am

Hmac wrote:
Ah. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And I did forget the smiley after asking who your instructor was.

I'm not a big hunter but it's not for lack of exposure, familiarity, nor is it ethical objection. I don't particularly care for the taste of either venison or duck and after years of hunting since I was 12, I've come to the point where I don't particularly care to go out into the woods to kill an animal just to kill it. I do hunt birds, and I have no objection to laying waste to overly encroaching critters or varmints, so squirrels, porcupines, and muskrats are at high risk in my little corner of the world. But I use my 10-22 far more than my 30.06 or Super Blackhawk these days.

No worries :cheers:
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Handguns