Single stack vs single stack?

Discussion of handguns

Re: Single stack vs single stack?

Postby mrp on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:12 pm

XDM45 wrote:I can't legally carry a long rifle in public in MN, but I can a pistol. That was my point.

What law says you can't carry a long rifle in public in MN? You're not talking about this one, are you?

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7181
mrp

Postby DoxaPar on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 pm

The law of wisdom says that. :-P

Carrying a rifle in public is a good way to get shot, I think.
DoxaPar

Postby XDM45 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 am

DoxaPar wrote:The law of wisdom says that. :-P

I agree.

624.718 covers carrying rifles and shotguns in public, making it illegal to carry one with some exceptions:

To, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed.
Where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs. (I'm guessing not including self defense)
At funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies.
Unloaded and in a cased
A person who has a permit under section 624.714
An antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value
In compliance with section 97B.045. (some what redundant with #4)
Officers, employees, or agents of law enforcement agencies or the armed forces of this state or the United States, or private detectives or protective agents, to the extent that these persons are authorized by law to carry firearms and are acting in the scope of their official duties.

In summary:
624.718 makes carrying a long gun in public a gross misdemeanor but gives an exception to peace officers and permit holders.

97B.045 makes carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle illegal(I'm not sure what the penalty for breaking it is) but gives exceptions for guns that unloaded and cased or in the trunk, and hang guns for people allowed under section 624.714.

624.714 makes carrying a pistol a gross misdemeanor and makes exceptions for peace officers and permit holders, and gives the process for applying for and granting a permit to carry.

It is legal to carry a long gun in public if you have a Minnesota carry permit. It is not legal to have a loaded or uncased long gun in a motor vehicle. The law is badly written and hard to read, but that's what you get when you let lawyers make law. So while it's legal in one way, it's not legal in another.

Be that as it may, OCing a pistol while going to the bank is one thing, OCing in a bank while carrying an AR-15 is another story and I can guarantee will get you a MWAG call with SWAT response. Honestly, who is going to OC a rifle in public? and CCing isn't an option, and even if it were possible, are we really to believe that someone is going to unload their long rifle carry weapon every time they transport it? Not at all.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Tronster on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 am

It would be interesting to see someone OC a draco pistol with a 30 banana mag in it. Would it need to be in a holster of some sort or does hanging on a sling suffice?
Tronster

Postby MasonK on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 am

Tronster wrote:It would be interesting to see someone OC a draco pistol with a 30 banana mag in it. Would it need to be in a holster of some sort or does hanging on a sling suffice?

Plenty of these on YouTube under "Encounters". Good way to get arrested if you ask me. Just because you might not catch a case over the weapon doesn't mean you aren't going to get a Disorderly Conduct at best, and some actual felony at worst.

If I see an OC handgun, I don't think twice and don't care; carrying a rifle... That's just dumb, but that's my opinion.
MasonK

Postby mrp on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 am

XDM45 wrote:
DoxaPar wrote:The law of wisdom says that. :-P

I agree.

Sure. But there's a difference between being a really bad idea (TM) and being illegal. You didn't appear to realize that.
mrp

Postby tman on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

XDM45 wrote:

It is legal to carry a long gun in public if you have a Minnesota carry permit. It is not legal to have a loaded or uncased long gun in a motor vehicle. The law is badly written and hard to read, but that's what you get when you let lawyers make law. So while it's legal in one way, it's not legal in another.

There are other exceptions for unloaded, uncased firearms.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Grappler on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 pm

JustPlainT wrote:I think the reason is that the fanboys have accepted and defend the 1911 to the grave, regardless of actual merit.

Not knocking the 1911, but it is what it is: a single stack of .45 ACP.

Not unless your like me. I decided I wanted a compact 1911 in 9mm but could hold more than 10 rounds...
Grappler

Postby rockstar on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

I carry a 9mm, I know that ballistic have improved throughout the years (top quality ammunition). If its good enough to stop a drugged up adrenaline junkie on the streets or crazy islamists in Fallujah. Then its good enough to be carried by me.

FYI, many metro police and sheriffs departments in Minnesota had gone back to carrying 9 millimeters. It's not because of cost, it's because improvements had been made to this bullet. At the end of the day, carry the ammunition that you are most comfortable with. I read a lot of reports on calibers that are smaller than the 9 millimeter, that killed someone. I think it's not about the size of the bullet and more about the shot placement.
I will turn in my firearms and not carry a gun for my own protection. When our Government Leaders stop hiding behind man's that carry guns to protect them.
rockstar

Postby Rem700 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 am

rockstar wrote:I carry a 9mm, I know that ballistic have improved throughout the years (top quality ammunition). If its good enough to stop a drugged up adrenaline junkie on the streets or crazy islamists in Fallujah. Then its good enough to be carried by me.

FYI, many metro police and sheriffs departments in Minnesota had gone back to carrying 9 millimeters. It's not because of cost, it's because improvements had been made to this bullet. At the end of the day, carry the ammunition that you are most comfortable with. I read a lot of reports on calibers that are smaller than the 9 millimeter, that killed someone. I think it's not about the size of the bullet and more about the shot placement.

I thought both the military and police went too 9mm because all the non shooters, woman, and girly men couldnt handle the 45ACP/
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby darkwolf45 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 am

Rem700 wrote:
rockstar wrote:I carry a 9mm, I know that ballistic have improved throughout the years (top quality ammunition). If its good enough to stop a drugged up adrenaline junkie on the streets or crazy islamists in Fallujah. Then its good enough to be carried by me.

I thought both the military and police went too 9mm because all the non shooters, woman, and girly men couldnt handle the 45ACP/

These decisions are not made based off of a single criteria. However, that did play a part in the decision.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby grousemaster on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 am

I think it is because of costs, departments have said as much. Improvement have been made to all calibers, doesn't make the 9mm equal to the .40 or .45 ;)
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby rockstar on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

grousemaster wrote:

I think it is because of costs, departments have said as much. Improvement have been made to all calibers, doesn't make the 9mm equal to the .40 or .45 ;)

Now, come on guys. We all know that there's no limitation to government agencies spendings public funds. If they want something, they will find a way to justify themselfs and raise funds for it. It would be a good case for a police officer's family to file a wrongful death suit against a department. All because the department went to a cheaper ammo, and a police officer gets hurt or dies. I also think if it was up to cost, police officers would be walking around with 22LR pistols, Lol...
I will turn in my firearms and not carry a gun for my own protection. When our Government Leaders stop hiding behind man's that carry guns to protect them.
rockstar

Postby darkwolf45 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

rockstar wrote:
grousemaster wrote:

Now, come on guys. We all know that there's no limitation to government agencies spendings public funds. If they want something, they will find a way to justify themselfs and raise funds for it. It would be a good case for a police officer's family to file a wrongful death suit against a department. All because the department went to a cheaper ammo, and a police officer gets hurt or dies. I also think if it was up to cost, police officers would be walking around with 22LR pistols, Lol...

Why not, since I hear they are telling PTC instructors that .22LR is just as deadly as a .45
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby ktech on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey, the Marine Corps went (back) to .45 ACP.

I'll just leave this here...
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns