Single stack vs single stack?

Discussion of handguns

Re: Single stack vs single stack?

Postby codilly on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Will a shot from a 45 to the heart kill you anymore then a 22 to the heart?
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby xd ED on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 pm

codilly wrote:Will a shot from a 45 to the heart kill you anymore then a 22 to the heart?

A shot from my .177 cal air rifle penetrating your vital organs will eventually cause death. That doesn't make it an effective self defense round.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Single stack vs single stack?

Postby jshuberg on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm

codilly wrote:Will a shot from a 45 to the heart kill you anymore then a 22 to the heart?

A shot to the heart may be a mortal wound, but is unlikely to stop the threat until a sufficient loss of blood results in unconsciousness due to lack of oxygen to the brain. It has been documented that a person can remain in the fight for 15 seconds or more after the heart has been destroyed. If you don't think 15 seconds in a life threatening encounter is a long time, try submerging your hand in boiling water for 15 seconds, it's a very long time!

Generally speaking, if you start putting holes in the circulatory system, the bigger the holes, and the more holes, the faster the bad guy goes down. The purpose of defending yourself with a firearm is to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible, not to kill the attacker. If he dies several minutes after inflicting a mortal wound to you, it will be of little comfort to your next of kin.

Everything else being the same, a bigger bullet will increase the loss of blood more than a smaller bullet. This being said, my carry gun is a 9mm. There are other factors to consider when choosing a caliber, such as rounds per mag, carry and conceal-ability, etc.

Shot placement, and performance under stress is a much bigger factor in quickly eliminating the threat than simply relying on a larger caliber. However, everything else being the same, a larger bullet is more effective at stopping the threat with hits to the circulatory system than a smaller bullet.
Last edited by jshuberg on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I bet it does!

[Edit to add:]Ah, here we go.
High-caliber care
Medicine races to keep up with street weaponry
Beginning in the mid-1990s, medical studies reported an ominous trend toward the use of larger caliber firearms. But a 2004 study published in the journal American Surgeon found that despite that trend, in-hospital death rates from gunshot wounds had not changed.

The study attributed this seeming paradox to improvements in treatment, including resuscitation and surgical techniques.

But to survive a serious gunshot wound, a victim must first make it to the hospital.

Researchers at the University of Louisville concluded that large-caliber gunshot wounds meant more victims were dying in the field and being transported to the morgue rather than the trauma center.

From 2003 through 2005, doctors at the University of Louisville Hospital saw no patients with gunshots to the heart even though, in years past, as many as one such case a month was admitted, said David Richardson, a professor of surgery at the university.

During that same period, the coroner's office reported 15 to 20 fatalities a year involving gunshot wounds to the heart, meaning that all the victims died before getting to the hospital.

Big-caliber, high-velocity guns "just blow the thing apart," Richardson said.

Some doctors use the term "morselized" in referring to the damage to the heart caused by large-caliber bullets.

"If you get shot with a .22 in the heart, you've got a chance to survive," said Richardson, director of emergency surgical services at the hospital. "If you get shot with a Glock 9mm, you're not going to make it."

Richardson said his data most likely represents what is happening in cities around the country, including Milwaukee.

Police here say that in the early 1990s, inexpensive handguns, such as the .25-caliber Raven, were the most common weapons used in shootings.

Since then, the caliber has increased with more use of 9mm, .40-caliber and .45-caliber guns with high-capacity magazines, as well as assault-style rifles, Deputy Police Chief Brian O'Keefe said.
Pat Cannon

Postby codilly on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Why not, since I hear they are telling PTC instructors that .22LR is just as deadly as a .45

I wasn't refering to someone saying one is more effective at stopping a threat immediatley. A shot from any gun is survivable, it's shot placement that determines how effective that shot will be.
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby plink on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:If you reall want to defend yourself get a Ma Duece otherwise you are just joking around.

I've been trying to find a decent IWB holster for it. It chafes a bit much right now.
plink

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm

plink wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:If you reall want to defend yourself get a Ma Duece otherwise you are just joking around.

I've been trying to find a decent IWB holster for it. It chafes a bit much right now.

Um, see you are doing it all wrong, with the M2 you have to go with a pocket holster.
Holland&Holland

Postby bobbydamit on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 am

Pat Cannon wrote:It's because one round of .45 ACP will drop the biggest toughest attacker every single time, whereas 8 hits with 9mm will only enrage them and they'll kill you while you're trying to stuff a fresh magazine into that skinny little mag well.

Sounds like you have all the answers and more experience in this, and many other areas than most anyone else you criticize. Do you ever say "I think" instead of " Because" or would that make you feel like your not all knowing or always right? I see you can dish it out in most every post of yours, can you also take it as well?? Just wondering. Have a nice week Kids. And play nice in the sand box. ;)
"The Devil Made Me Do It."
Geraldine
bobbydamit

Previous

Return to Handguns