Sig P290RS or Kimber Solo?

Discussion of handguns

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:40 pm

patrick wrote:Maybe he would.But he can't.He's dead.

That is a great point.

I generally like to carry a 1911 with a full mag, empty chamber and the slide locked back so all I have to do is hit the slide release and I'm ready for action. I know its not the way it was designed to be carried, and not really safe, but I like carrying what I want, how I want.

And it looks totally gangster.
Erud

Re: Sig P290RS or Kimber Solo?

Postby patrick on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm very happy you carry what you want the way you want.The pistols I'm considering are different animals.I really like DAO type triggers.They just work for me,as long as they have GOOD DAO triggers.I fondled a P290 at a GS the other day and it has a good DAO trigger.I have not found a GS with a Solo in stock to try.I was hoping to hear from owners of THESE type of pistols,as they are the type that I like.I am going to pick up a Shield in 9mm and see if I can get the trigger fixed.Maybe that will be the answer,though the Shield really isn't all that small.I really wish Glock made what I want.Until they do I guess I'll be searching.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Postby whiteox on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm

If you want a single stack Glock-like pistol check out the Walther PPS.

Comes with different sized mags for max concealment or comfort.

I had one, liked it and should have kept it.
whiteox

Postby patrick on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm

I've thought about the PPS many times but just have never "pulled the trigger" on one.The Shield is pretty much the same size.Maybe if it doesn't pan out I'll look more seriously at the PPS.
patrick

Postby NDB_MN on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 pm

The solo doesn't have a DAO trigger. Kimber lists it as a single action, striker fired design. I put about 200 rounds through one. The pull and reset are long for a SA trigger, but nowhere near as long as most DA triggers. Break is as smooooth as glass.

I personally carry a 1911 which is what draws me to the Solo (and possibly the Sig P938) - they operate like 1911s.

The solo I shot had to go back for repairs. It was a gen1 gun - very problematic at first. The newer solos have redesigned slides/extractors I hear. I am seriously considering one as it's the most accurate mini-9 I've ever shot.

Another one you may want to look into is the Kahr CM9. I don't shoot them well, but I've seen others that are very accurate with them. DAO, smooth pull, good break. Half the price of a Solo.
NDB_MN

Postby Ivan45 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 am

+1 for the P938, great handling little pistol. Kimber Solo is nice, but still prefer the P938.
Ivan45

Postby Ivan45 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:02 am

Another thing, carrying cocked and locked doesn't make a pistol any less safe... the most important safety is the mindset of the meathead operating the boogerhook that touches whatever trigger is being carried by said meathead.
Ivan45

Postby Spartan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 am

kahr : I cant shoot 'em ...... I hate the triggers .... they feel great ...heck the K9 and MK9 look great but those triggers my god I need a vice gripe to shoot the damn things ......

I say again sig 938
Spartan

Postby patrick on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 am

NDB_MN wrote:The solo doesn't have a DAO trigger. Kimber lists it as a single action, striker fired design. I put about 200 rounds through one. The pull and reset are long for a SA trigger, but nowhere near as long as most DA triggers. Break is as smooooth as glass.

I personally carry a 1911 which is what draws me to the Solo (and possibly the Sig P938) - they operate like 1911s.

The solo I shot had to go back for repairs. It was a gen1 gun - very problematic at first. The newer solos have redesigned slides/extractors I hear. I am seriously considering one as it's the most accurate mini-9 I've ever shot.

Another one you may want to look into is the Kahr CM9. I don't shoot them well, but I've seen others that are very accurate with them. DAO, smooth pull, good break. Half the price of a Solo.

I have a CM9.I love the trigger.All pistols should have the same trigger.I shoot very well with it too.I do have some reservations about the long term reliability of it due to the fact that it has almost no metal in the rails.People are saying they last though.I know one guy over on Kahrtalk.com has over 32,000 rounds through his PM9,which is a more expensive version of the CM9,but has the same frame set up.

No 1911 styles for me.Unless it's just a range gun.I had a 1991A1 years ago,but it was WAAAAY too big to carry and I will not carry C&L'd with one.It's just me I guess.
patrick

Postby Kelor on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Here's a small update to my Kimber Solo CDP.

I've been shooting 115 grain rounds through it quite consistently. For the first time, I had four rounds that didn't cycle properly in a matter of 20 shots.

The issue was definitely a learning experience for my wife, as she was the shooter for two of the issues. I have yet to have a 124 grain cycle improperly, but honestly haven't put many of those rounds through. My assumption is still that 124 grain or higher will cycle nicely in all circumstances.

I have had many people shoot this gun. Literally everybody has enjoyed the experience. It's an excellent exercise to start out with something like a Walther P22, then a Beretta 9mm, then a Glock 17 .45, and then watch them control the Kimber. This gun is so tiny, it really takes some getting used to.

I still have yet to find a perfect holster. I think I'm just one of those guys that won't like any IWB holster, regardless of the gun.
Kelor

Postby Kelor on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Another small update on the Kimber Solo and a question.

The extended 8 round magazine has never had a cycle issue, regardless of round. The 2 magazines that came with the Kimber still both have problems cycling anything lower than 124 grain. There has never been a cycling issue using 124 or 147. That has confused me to no end. I know they call for 124 or 147 grain, so I'm not concerned about the poor cycling issues with 115 grain, but why would the 8 round magazine accept anything, every time?
Kelor

Previous

Return to Handguns