Ruger SR22 problems, should I send it back?

Discussion of handguns

Postby gdubya on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Bought this SR22 (bi-tone, no that is matters) new a couple months ago, and it has given me a couple problems. Not sure if I should send it back, have someone look at it, or what. I have never had a real problem with a brand new gun, and have no idea about sending one back to factory, so I am looking for advice. If you would recommend sending back to the factory, how is that done? Does an FFL have to ship it, or receive it back, or can I do either of those? If I ship it, with what service and options?

Problem #1: With whatever ammo I have fed it, including Mini-Mags, Thunderbolts, Aguila high velocity, some old golden bullets I had from years ago, and white box 325 rd "designed for auto pistols" bulk packs, I get about 3-5% failure to feed. It always jams against the top of the barrel with the bullet nose partly into it, and the slide leaves a nice dent in the side of the round a few millimeters from the rim. In the approx 1000 rounds I have put through it, it has also had a few times where it failed to lock the slide back on an empty bag, but I am not sure if this is related or not and is really not a huge concern to me, but in case it was relevant I thought I would mention it. I have tried many different techniques for loading the mags, from loading each round against the spring tension, to just lightly using the assist on the mag, to dropping them in loose. I have slapped the mags to get the rounds seated to the back of the mag, with and without using the assist on the mag to get the rounds to move more freely. A Ruger forum post I read, said to make sure the small end of the spring was snapped onto the guide rod, and I had hoped that would be the cure, as I had the larger end on the rod, but that seemed to make no difference. I ordered the upgraded metal guide rod and captured spring from Galloway Precision, but now I am questioning whether I should install that or not, and if I did whether that would affect my ability to send it back to the factory if needed, or void my warranty or something. I kept hoping it would somehow break in and get better, but it still gave me 4 failure to feed jams in 100 rounds today on CCI mini mags.

Problem #2.: The takedown lever seems to come loose just a little bit and today was the second time this has happened at the range, and my slide spring and guide rod have gone flying downrange. In addition to being seriously irritating, it is pretty embarrassing to have to get the RO to call a cease fire and scamper down range to pick up my parts and then have someone ask me in a concerned tone "What kind of gun is that?"

I really want to like this gun, it shoots very accurately for its size, and other than these issues, I really like shooting it. I primarily bought it as a training tool, especially hoping to be able to have my wife who is newer to shooting use it to get some confidence using an auto pistol smaller auto caliber. If it behaves like this it will disrupt er focus and will not be confidence inspiring. She plans to attend some women's only events, and I can't feel good sending this gun along with her.
gdubya

Re: Ruger SR22 problems, should I send it back?

Postby rugersol on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:32 pm

yep!

replace it with a mkii er a buckmark! ... bonus pts for the ppk .22!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:50 pm

I would personally send it back to Ruger for repair, or trade it in for a different gun. I have both a S&W M&P22 and a 22A pistol and both have worked flawless. Love them both. Also owned a Mark III Ruger that ran flawless. Was just a pain in the ass to break down for cleaning.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby shackleford on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Ruger normally is known for very good service, I would absolutely send it back. Give em a ring and see, but if I recall you can send it back without an FFL, but it has to ship next day air UPS or FedEx. I would push for them to foot the shipping bill.
shackleford

Postby Thunderjohn on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Yes, call Ruger.
I've sold lots of these guns with no problems.
You do not need an FFL to send it in or to receive it back.
The law says you must notify the shipper (UPS, FedEx, etc) that it's a firearm and
the policy at FedEx and UPS is that it ships overnight. Ruger will probably pay for shipping.
You cannot ship handguns USPS unless you're an FFL.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby gdubya on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks, you guys! I'll call Ruger, ASAP.
gdubya

Postby FJ540 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

I've put a lot of ammo through mine and it's just recently gotten gunked up enough to need cleaning.

I wonder about the take down levers. They might have had a bad batch of those from the sounds of it. Mine's been fine and was one of the first Bill's ever got when they first came out.
FJ540

Postby ranger on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am

When you call Ruger, they will probably send you a UPS shipping label and maybe a box for shipping. That’s what they did for me anyway. They also sent me the tracking number when it was on the way back.
BTW, I had mine picked up and returned at my place of employment and it worked out great.
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby DoxaPar on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am

The one I have supposedly had similar issues before the previous owner sent it back.

Since purchasing it from him I've had no FTF/FTEs at all.

I'd def. send it in. That's unusual and potentially dangerous.
DoxaPar

Postby sawgrass on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 am

My friend bought one new from a local dealer.
The gun does not run well at all. Ruger has sent new magazines and she is still in contact with them.

She also has a SW 22A and a Ruger MK III Hunter. Not a single problem with either of those.
I've had a Ruger MK III Hunter for years and never the first problem.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby 20mm on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 am

Sure you're not limp wristing it?
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby gdubya on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 pm

20mm wrote:Sure you're not limp wristing it?

Hehe, nice one!
gdubya

Postby gdubya on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Talked to Ruger and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send it in. Big FU goes out to Gander for trying to sell me supplemental warranty service (did not buy) by telling me if I had to send it in I would pay air shipping there and back. Some of us have to learn the hard way...
gdubya

Postby Lewy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I sent my SR22 back a few months ago due to the magazine disconnector issue(trigger wouldn't engage), and got it back in less than a week, and now I have 500+ rounds through it. I wanted to dump it right when I got it back, but gave it a chance. It's an OK gun. Kids like it, otherwise, I would look for something else.
Lewy

Postby greenfarmer on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:55 pm

I bought one in March? I think anyways. Shot around 1000 rounds or so thru it, and not a single problem to this point. I love that little thing.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Next

Return to Handguns