Permit to Purchase

Discussion of handguns

Permit to Purchase

Postby lgravelle on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm

So i applied for and received my MN permit to purchase a couple of months ago (from Anoka County). I went to Gander Mountain to finally purchase a gun and was told i was denied and they would not sell me the gun. WTH?? Can anybody tell me why this would happen. If i have the permit how can i be denied? Thanks for any input..
lgravelle

Re: Permit to Purchase

Postby Thunderjohn on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm

lgravelle wrote:So i applied for and received my MN permit to purchase a couple of months ago (from Anoka County). I went to Gander Mountain to finally purchase a gun and was told i was denied and they would not sell me the gun. WTH?? Can anybody tell me why this would happen. If i have the permit how can i be denied? Thanks for any input..

First of all check with GM again to make sure you were Denied, not Delayed.
If you were Denied, either the Sheriff's Office missed something or something with you changed in the past couple months.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Might it be possible that it's an issue of having a name similar/ identical to someone who is legitimately prohibited? ...Sedan Hussein...Osama bin Larsen ...Bernard Gretsky
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby s4s4u on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm

PTP doesn't trump NICS. There may be something that the local Sherif may have missed or not looked for that came up when they called in. Or, you could be getting confused with someone else. Did you put your SSN on the 4473? If not, all they've got to go on is your name.
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Postby .45 Auto on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 pm

You're probably better off talking to a lawyer at this point, rather than an internet forum.

Mike - in Sherburne County
.45 Auto

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 am

As was said make sure it was denied and not delayed. Make sure you put your SSN on the form. Otherwise you want to go here to start an appeal to find out why:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/a ... peals-home
grimbeaver

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 pm

The link above should have the number you can call. They will send you a letter with the reason for denial.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 am

Go some where else besides Gander Mtn... You'll get alot better deal, and possible not denied either...

The people behind the gun counter at the Gander Mtn in Hermantown don't know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to firearms.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:09 pm

another single post guy with a problem that is looking for work around solutions. Smells fishy to me, but hey, the info you all are sharing is solid.

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but lots of fishing expeditions as of late.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Re: Permit to Purchase

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 am

yukonjasper wrote:another single post guy with a problem that is looking for work around solutions. Smells fishy to me, but hey, the info you all are sharing is solid.

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but lots of fishing expeditions as of late.

If everything he says is true... How did the background check for the permit to purchase not get denied?

If he went though that much hassle I dought he's a hoodie wear skittle eating brother...
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:If everything he says is true... How did the background check for the permit to purchase not get denied?

He stated that the permit was acquired a few months ago. It's possible and very likely something has happened since then.
grimbeaver

Postby AlbertL on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:52 am

Hoodie wearing skittle eating brother????
AlbertL

Postby RobD on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby AlbertL on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 am

Not a trap just a question!
AlbertL

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:If he went though that much hassle I dought he's a hoodie wear skittle eating brother...

Not sure what race, choice of clothing or candy has to do with a persons effort to gain a gun permit nor would any of those factors affect a person's eligibility to obtain said permit. Not sure what you are trying to imply.
I'm 3 peoples brother, enjoy skittles and own/wear lots of hoodies - have a permit to carry and have purchased successfully.

I believe as others have stated, either there has been a mix up with properly identifying the person during the NiCS or the person has done something between the permit issue and the point of the sale to change their status. In the first scenario, I would recommend getting to the bottom of it, also for the second unless the person already knows what they did and was only fishing for some sort of illegal work around to the process.

I believe the person is fishing for less than legal suggestions from this community. Infiltration and disruption are common Change Agent tactics.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Handguns