Sig P220 45 VS Colt 1911 Gov. 45

Discussion of handguns

Postby qualcorp on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I need some help please. Pls keep in mind BOTH ARE THE SAME ASKING PRICE. If you could only have one of these pistols chambered in 45ACP what would be your choice and why. Should not only be personal preference but economic as well. The Colt is a rather plain Jane as far as Colts or 1911’s go but is new. The Sig is older but recently been refit with all new springs and bbl, comes with multiple sig mags.

First is Colt 1911 Government 45 ACP in blued finish, 5” bbl, two mags, blue case manual lock everything that it came with. Has been fired an honest 32 times and is is 99.9 perfect like new condition.
Sig P220 45 Dark sig finish, 4.3” bbl?, 6 mags, factory hard box, stuff it came with. Is a bit older gun in very good shape minimal holster wear. Has recently been sent to sig for all new springs and a new bbl. Comes with original bbl Hogue Grip as well as hard plastic grip.
Thank You all for the help, it means lots!-Jim
Attachments
sigwcase.jpg
colt11.JPG
Last edited by qualcorp on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" I know the voices aren't real but they have some good ideas"

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
qualcorp

Re: Sig P220 45 VS Colt 1911 Gov. 45

Postby LumberZach on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 pm

1911 all day every day. Big thing is I really like 1911's. Even if it is new, you are holding a piece of history. Sig's... they are good, and a lot of people seem to like them but they just don't excite me as much. As far as opinions go, 1911's are indestructible... imo.
LumberZach

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:53 am

Well, I think I can stay out of the whole Sig vs. 1911 pissing match that will probably evolve out of this, because of one very key fact. The Sig was sent back to the factory for a new recoil spring and barrel, plus it comes with SIX mags, which means somebody owned this and bought extra mags. Now why would a SIG need a new barrel, unless the old one was shot out, meaning it had seen many many thousands of round of ammo?? Same for the recoil spring. Add that to the six mags, and what you may have is a used USPSA Production gamer gun that has been shot so much that it needed a new barrel and recoil spring at least, and all of the other parts in the gun have the same number of rounds of wear on them but are still in there.

Versus a 1911 with 32 rounds fired out of it??

DOH!?!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby bensdad on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:58 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, I think I can stay out of the whole Sig vs. 1911 pissing match that will probably evolve out of this, because of one very key fact. The Sig was sent back to the factory for a new recoil spring and barrel, plus it comes with SIX mags, which means somebody owned this and bought extra mags. Now why would a SIG need a new barrel, unless the old one was shot out, meaning it had seen many many thousands of round of ammo?? Same for the recoil spring. Add that to the six mags, and what you may have is a used USPSA Production gamer gun that has been shot so much that it needed a new barrel and recoil spring at least, and all of the other parts in the gun have the same number of rounds of wear on them but are still in there

Sam nailed it. the sig was either a heavy-use comp. gun, or it didn't run right from the get-go, and the owner was trying to find a fix. Either way, it's a gun to be passed.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Back In Black on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:06 am

The 1911 no question. I just bought the exact same gun this week. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time. Fantastic. It's a beautiful classic weapon with a great history. All true gun enthusiasts should have at least one in the collection.
Keith
Back In Black

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:23 am

bensdad wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Well, I think I can stay out of the whole Sig vs. 1911 pissing match that will probably evolve out of this, because of one very key fact. The Sig was sent back to the factory for a new recoil spring and barrel, plus it comes with SIX mags, which means somebody owned this and bought extra mags. Now why would a SIG need a new barrel, unless the old one was shot out, meaning it had seen many many thousands of round of ammo?? Same for the recoil spring. Add that to the six mags, and what you may have is a used USPSA Production gamer gun that has been shot so much that it needed a new barrel and recoil spring at least, and all of the other parts in the gun have the same number of rounds of wear on them but are still in there

Sam nailed it. the sig was either a heavy-use comp. gun, or it didn't run right from the get-go, and the owner was trying to find a fix. Either way, it's a gun to be passed.

I'd echo these guys, the Sig does not pass the sniff test, the extra mags are kinda making it look like a game gun. I'm guessing lots and lots of very hot reloads, a squib or some other FUBAR issue with the barrel. Run away there are alot of good guns, the 1911 seesm like a fair option, I'm not huge fan of the new colts(they are solid but quality is not as good as it was in the 70's).
mmcnx2

Postby sawgrass on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:51 am

Colt. Plain Jane=classic design.
All pistol enthusiasts should own at least one Colt 1911.
Just beware, they are likely to multiply.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby bofe954 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:57 am

Colt's worth more, will hold value better and be easier to sell later if you want to get rid of it.
bofe954

Postby sawgrass on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:10 am

bofe954 wrote:Colt's worth more, will hold value better and be easier to sell later if you want to get rid of it.

If the Colt is priced at what the Sig should go for, it's a 'deal' to boot, for the OP!
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby sawgrass on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:21 am

mmcnx2 wrote:
I'd echo these guys, the Sig does not pass the sniff test, the extra mags are kinda making it look like a game gun. I'm guessing lots and lots of very hot reloads, a squib or some other FUBAR issue with the barrel. Run away there are alot of good guns, the 1911 seesm like a fair option, I'm not huge fan of the new colts(they are solid but quality is not as good as it was in the 70's).

mmcnx2 can you explain what you mean by this? What is different that lacks quality? I don't own and haven't shot one of these so just wondering how it's different.
I've seen this comment on the internet several times but I read a review in a magazine (don't remember which one at the moment) that said just the opposite.

I would like to know if this is "FACT" or internet "LORE". That said my older blued series 70 Colt is one hell of a shooter.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby Back In Black on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:10 am

There was a period when Colt cheapened the 1911 with some plastic parts to better compete with competitor's lesser priced 1911 versions but customers demanded better and Colt listened. The current series 70 and 80 offerings should be every bit as good or better than the original.
Keith
Back In Black

Postby farmerj on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 am

someone's gotta say it....

"glocks rule"......

carry on....

:bolt:
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Snowgun on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:00 am

Nobody uses sigs for competition (wonder why? ;) ), but 1911's typically have their own division due to popularity.

Another consideration is all the wonderful aftermarket parts you can get to take the 1911 in any direction you want to go, and customize it to make it "your gun". Fit to you like tailored suit, and twice as classy!
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby madFatter on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:41 pm

It's actually my gun. It had everything replaced because it is a west german model, was made in the early 90's, bought with an unknown total round count. I wanted everything freshened up before I carried it and that is what Sig recommended. The mags were added in the trade for +value, came from a different p220 altogether. Just wanted to defend my gun's honor as this thread has been quoted twice today already in 2 different delightful lowball offers lol.
madFatter

Postby Snowgun on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:32 pm

I KNEW it wasn't a comp gun! :lol:
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Next

Return to Handguns