Older S&W 34 CYLINDER SWAP Help Requested

Discussion of handguns

Older S&W 34 CYLINDER SWAP Help Requested

Postby VikesFan1 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 am

I just bought a c1975 S&W 34-1 .22 kit gun that was missing the cylinder. I have a cylinder for it, but I can't get the dang thing to fit properly. It won't close completely, as it seems to be hitting, or rubbing on the frame. Does anyone have any suggestions for putting this cylinder on the gun and getting it to fit?

Thanks in advance.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Re: Older S&W 34 CYLINDER SWAP Help Requested

Postby 870TC on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am

A friend of mine had to replace a Model 14 cylinder, he ended up sending it to S&W for the work. It requires fitting by a gunsmith.
870TC

Postby karlobag on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:27 am

You will have to check the barrel to cylinder gap and also the cylinder to frame gap. You also should use a range rod to check chamber barrel alignment. Might be wise to use a yoke alignment tool to check and see if there is misalignment. The ratchet star, if new, may need planning or stoning. A thicker or thinner hand may be required. Finally, a new cylinder stop also should be fitted. Just a few things to be aware of. It can be a daunting challenge. Personally, I would take it to a good gunsmith or send it back to S&W.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby VikesFan1 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

870TC wrote:A friend of mine had to replace a Model 14 cylinder, he ended up sending it to S&W for the work. It requires fitting by a gunsmith.

Thanks, I think you're right. I thought is was a matter having the proper finesse but, after another look at things, it appears the extractor is getting hung-up on the frame. It rubs ever too tightly to close it shut. A good polishing probably won't do it, I'm thinking a little file work might be in order. Now, I just need a experienced second opinion before I start doctoring it up. Anyone willing to take a look at this thing, or have a recommendation? Depending on what, exactly, needs to be done, it may or may not be outside my realm of "expertise."

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby VikesFan1 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am

karlobag wrote:You will have to check the barrel to cylinder gap and also the cylinder to frame gap. You also should use a range rod to check chamber barrel alignment. Might be wise to use a yoke alignment tool to check and see if there is misalignment. The ratchet star, if new, may need planning or stoning. A thicker or thinner hand may be required. Finally, a new cylinder stop also should be fitted. Just a few things to be aware of. It can be a daunting challenge. Personally, I would take it to a good gunsmith or send it back to S&W.

Thanks for the info, karlbag. Some good points there... This is an older gun and new parts, such as a cylinder stop and ratchet star, are not readily available... Midway only carries a couple replacement springs for this gun...

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby JJ on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:35 pm

VikesFan1 wrote:
This is an older gun and new parts, such as a cylinder stop and ratchet star, are not readily available... Midway only carries a couple replacement springs for this gun...

In a scenario where new parts are not available, a 'smith may have to add material, or even make new parts to get the whole shebang working correctly. Getting your cylinder aligned properly should be done using the hand, fitting of the ratchet, and fitting of the cylinder stop to ensure the bullet does not spit or shave lead when fired.

You may want to look at Numrich and see if they have parts available for this particular model, before you start hacking at it. You can do more harm than good if you do not know how to properly install these parts.

My first reccomendation if you are going to attempt this, is to pick up this manual, and read up on what you intend to do: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314178 ... kuhnhausen
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby VikesFan1 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for the link. That book has great reviews.

Right now I'm leaning toward sending it off to S&W (Performance Center?) if it doesn't require a second mortgage. Unless I can find a capable person locally.

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby DonT on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:21 pm

I would Call Ahlman's in Morristown first. They may be able to do it for you...

DonT
DonT
DonT

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Upon further consideration, the cylinder might be shimmed a hair too far back on the yoke. This would also explain what appears to be a larger than acceptable barrel/cylinder gap.

I dropped it at Ahlamn's on Saturday so now it's wait 'n see. To be continued...

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Picked up Saturday from Alhman's and went straight to BPR. The cylinder fits now but they didn't tell me what the problem was, or how they fixed it... but whatever, now it doesn't extract spent cases without tapping profusely on the extractor rod with sharp, blunt blows.... I gave it a good cleaning tonight and will go back to the range Friday. Valentine's date with my wife. She's never been to the range... and this is what she's supposed to shoot, despite not extracting because somebody couldn't check their work

edited to remove excessive and possibly grammatically incorrect cursing
Last edited by VikesFan1 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Here's a picture anyway. Because threads with pictures are more fun.
Attachments
001.JPG

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby tenmilmag on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 am

Now we're having fun!!!!

Love them Smith's 8-)
tenmilmag

Postby VikesFan1 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:32 am

tenmilmag wrote:Now we're having fun!!!!

Love them Smith's 8-)

That's A LOT of fun! Did you remove your rear sights?

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby tenmilmag on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am

VikesFan1 wrote:
tenmilmag wrote:Now we're having fun!!!!

Love them Smith's 8-)

That's A LOT of fun! Did you remove your rear sights?

No. They are part of the frame :)
tenmilmag

Return to Handguns