Carry gun suggestions or tips?

Discussion of handguns

Carry gun suggestions or tips?

Postby ericinmn1970 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey all, not sure if this post belongs here or in tactics. So admins by all means move if need be, but my questions are related to both handguns and tactics.

The Problem:
I guess I have small hands? Or, I have short thumbs? [See Images below]

I'm unable to operate the mag and slide releases on my handguns (Ruger LC 380, AO 1911, G21 Gen 4) without adjusting my grip! My concern is that in a stressful situation, the reduced fine motor skills that go with that, and if I ever needed to reload in a hurry, could end badly for me. I've tried an extended mag release button on my Glock, but it doesn't help. Not sure if those are available for my LC 380 or 1911, but I don't think it would help anyway.

So I'm looking to the group for some guidance. Should I just keep training myself to adjust my grip when it's time to reload and hope for the best if the worst happens? Or, are there any handguns, preferably in .45 ACP, that anyone knows of that are more ergonomically friendly for people like me? Thanks ahead of time!

Ruger 380_2_2.jpg
1911_2.jpg
Glock_2.jpg
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Re: Carry gun suggestions or tips?

Postby dcam on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Have you tried a Smith Wesson M & P compact or full size? Maybe with the different size palm swells it would work better. I think there are also some other makes/models with grip adjustments, i'm just not familiar with them.
dcam

Postby Ivan45 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:22 am

Slide release is unnecessary. Rack the slide, problem solved.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Ivan45

Postby Hmac on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:26 am

Train more. I think the "reduced fine motor skills" in a stressful situation concept is highly overblown and be overcome with just practice and good muscle memory, and the extra time it takes is meaningless, practically speaking. Personally, I think the chances that I'd ever need to draw and fire a carry weapon are extraordinarily remote, let alone the chance that I'd run out of ammo and have to reload. I don't carry any extra magazines anyway.

To your question...I prefer an overhand slide release too, so that's not an issue. I have small hands too but have no trouble working the slide release or the trigger-guard magazine release on my Walther PPQ. Likewise, I can work both on my PPS, which is the gun I prefer to carry (if I carry) without shifting grip.
Hmac

Postby ericinmn1970 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:31 am

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk[/quote]
dcam wrote:Have you tried a Smith Wesson M & P compact or full size? Maybe with the different size palm swells it would work better. I think there are also some other makes/models with grip adjustments, i'm just not familiar with them.

No I haven't because their grips look as fat as my Glock's. But I'll have to take a second look.

[quote="Ivan45"]Slide release is unnecessary. Rack the slide, problem solved.

Well true, I actually have been training myself to use my offhand to hit the slide release after I've reloaded and am setting my grip and taking aim. It still just somehow seems wrong that the controls like the mag & slide releases should be operable with the thumb on my firing hand, and I just can't do it while maintaining a proper grip?!
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby goett047 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:33 am

Revolver
goett047

Postby Sietch on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:21 am

I also have smaller hands and carry a full-size Glock. This extended slide release helps a lot. Be warned it may screw with your holster fit if you use a polymer rig.
https://tangodown.com/shop/vickers-tactical-slide-stop-for-glock/
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby andrewP on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:23 am

Walther or HK with "paddle" mag release. (Walther PPS, P99/P99c, PPQ M1, HK P30, P2000, P2000SK, I believe USP as well.) They are ambidextrous and operable with your trigger finger, solving the thumb issue. Similarly, any pistol with a button that can be reversed to the other side will allow for this type of use as well.
andrewP

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:09 am

ericinmn1970 wrote:Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
dcam wrote:Have you tried a Smith Wesson M & P compact or full size? Maybe with the different size palm swells it would work better. I think there are also some other makes/models with grip adjustments, i'm just not familiar with them.

No I haven't because their grips look as fat as my Glock's. But I'll have to take a second look.

Ivan45 wrote:Slide release is unnecessary. Rack the slide, problem solved.

Well true, I actually have been training myself to use my offhand to hit the slide release after I've reloaded and am setting my grip and taking aim. It still just somehow seems wrong that the controls like the mag & slide releases should be operable with the thumb on my firing hand, and I just can't do it while maintaining a proper grip?!

Been watching gun fighting with the 1911 from Tiger McKee and he says to aggressively rack the slide during reload. Makes a lot of sense to do as he says. He explains a lot of his technique with the concept that learning and training on a few important skills makes you smoother and faster. The slide rack is the same that he'd use to unload (racks 3 times) and is used in malfunction drills.
Ghost

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:17 am

I don't think it is uncommon at all for people to have to shift their grip somewhat to reach the mag release. One technique that I've seen on a video (I think Dave Spaulding) is to use your support hand (as it is leaving the two handed grip) to rotate the gun in your strong hand until your thumb can reach the mag release. I think that is better than just trying to shift it with your strong hand only.

As far as the slide release I think the majority of trainers advocate the overhand release.
Jackpine Savage

Re:

Postby LePetomane on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:04 pm

goett047 wrote:Revolver

Ditto!
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Re:

Postby gunsmith on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:26 pm

goett047 wrote:Revolver

Beatles best album, 1966.
gunsmith

Postby andrewP on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:15 am

Ivan45 wrote:Slide release is unnecessary. Rack the slide, problem solved.

Jackpine Savage wrote:As far as the slide release I think the majority of trainers advocate the overhand release.

Unnecessary? Perhaps, but it's demonstrably faster, as you can have your thumb sitting on the slide release lever as you put a new mag in the gun, allowing you to actuate said lever in a fraction of the time that it'd take to do an overhand rack of the slide. Yes, it's good to train on malfunction clearances and unloading the gun, but I think it's valuable to be able to use the slide release lever as well.

Ghost wrote:Been watching gun fighting with the 1911 from Tiger McKee and he says to aggressively rack the slide during reload. Makes a lot of sense to do as he says. He explains a lot of his technique with the concept that learning and training on a few important skills makes you smoother and faster. The slide rack is the same that he'd use to unload (racks 3 times) and is used in malfunction drills.

That may be simply because it's a presentation on the 1911, which has a slide release lever mounted quite far forward. This makes it difficult or impossible to actuate it with the strong hand thumb for many people. Because of this, many advise using either the weak hand thumb or an overhand rack with the 1911 vs the strong hand thumb on modern designs that place it in a more accessible location.
andrewP

Postby Hmac on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:07 am

andrewP wrote:Unnecessary? Perhaps, but it's demonstrably faster, as you can have your thumb sitting on the slide release lever as you put a new mag in the gun, allowing you to actuate said lever in a fraction of the time that it'd take to do an overhand rack of the slide. Yes, it's good to train on malfunction clearances and unloading the gun, but I think it's valuable to be able to use the slide release lever as well.

Ongoing debate, overhand rack vs slide release. Personally, I doubt that the tenths-of-second saved by using the slide release will materially affect the outcome of any combat situation a typical civilian will encounter, in the unlikely event they will ever be in such a situation, or the even more unlikely event they'll need to reload.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:14 am

If you are reloading you better be moving or behind cover/concealment. It's much easier to rack the slide on the move.
Ghost

Next

Return to Handguns