EDC Pistol sights?

Discussion of handguns

EDC Pistol sights?

Postby lizard55033 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Just bought a M&P Shield in 9mm.
Love the pistol; but not the stock sights. Brings me to said question.

What are your favorite sight combo on your EDC carry piece?
lizard55033

EDC Pistol sights?

Postby LumberZach on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I am getting a set of xs big dots when I have some spare money for one of my edc guns. The other one wears a set of trijicon hd sights, and while they look great, they have a sharp edge that has been getting more and more annoying.
LumberZach

Re: EDC Pistol sights?

Postby TTS on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Scratch on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:29 pm

I recently got a set of TruGlo TFO's as a gift. I'd heard some stories about the fiber optics falling out, but Ive always wanted to give them a shot, so I put them on my G17 and so far... I really like them. Very bright in daylight or pitch black, and no sharp edges.

I've put about 800 rounds through them, and they're holding up fine so far...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Grayskies on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Scratch wrote:I recently got a set of TruGlo TFO's as a gift. I'd heard some stories about the fiber optics falling out, but Ive always wanted to give them a shot, so I put them on my G17 and so far... I really like them. Very bright in daylight or pitch black, and no sharp edges.

If you feel up to it do a review, pictures would be nice too! :)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby lizard55033 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Seen way too many bad reviews of the XS Big Dot sights with the white globe coming off
lizard55033

Postby jshuberg on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 am

I've literally tried dozens of different sight combinations over the years. Because rear sights typically come in fewer height options than the front, order the rear you want and shoot some groups to determine how much higher or lower you want your front sight to be from factory to achieve your desired POA. Personally, I prefer around a 1.5" 6:00 hold at 25 yards.

I would highly recommend Dawson Precision's tritium charger rear sight. It comes in two different notch widths (.125, .145) depending on your front sight width and preferred sight picture. The rear of the sight has 2 very small tritium inserts for use in low/no light. The edges are nice and rounded for no-snag when drawing from concealment, but the front of the sight is undercut slightly, with large serrations that can very easily grab clothing for one handed charging or malfunction clearance. Just run the slide down your jeans and the slide will grab and cycle - no trying to catch the edge on a holster or belt, etc.
https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Product ... 1388518387

No pics of the one for the Shield, here's pics for the Sig to get a better idea what they look like:
https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categor ... ear+Sights

The idea is that in low/no light with both eyes open you want to be able to tell the difference between the rear and front sights easily. The smaller rear vials really help with this. You really need your front and rear tritium to be either different colors, or different sizes to differentiate them. Otherwise you just end up with a bunch of dots in darkness and you have to move the gun around to determine which dots are which. The larger front sight vial also draws the eye to it more so than the smaller vials, so aiming with this combination is much more instinctive to perform, even with both eyes open in total darkness when you have 6 dots in front of your eyes your mind needs to figure out rapidly.

After installing the rear, shoot some groups with your factory front, and measure the center of your groups from POA, and use the formula on the following page to determine the proper front sight height to match with your rear:
https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categor ... GHTS+FRONT

Then simply find someone who makes a front sight in that height, and put it on the gun. It takes more time this way, but by ordering them separately your guaranteed a prefect sight picture. I'd obviously go with a tritium front with a normal sized vial. Here is what I'd recommend - nothing too fancy:
https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Product ... 1388518383

They only list 4 heights for the shield, but what's nice is you can call them and they'll make a custom height front sight for you if that's what you need. They show a lot of stuff out of stock right now, but last time I ordered sights from them what I ordered was also listed as out of stock, but it arrived in just over a week.

Any properly height and width matched tritium front sight will work, but I still very highly recommend the charger tritium rear sight. I have them on all my carry guns.

$0.02
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

EDC Pistol sights?

Postby ZardozCZ on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:49 pm

TFOs on a Glock 27. ~500 rounds of mostly 40 (also have 9mm barrel) and it bangs around a lot in backpack, tank bag, hammock ridge line, car console and glovebox etc. still brightest sights for my old eyes dusk dawn day or night. They're the main reason I keep the pistol.

I dearly want them for my CZs!
ZardozCZ

Postby Scratch on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Scratch wrote:I recently got a set of TruGlo TFO's as a gift. I'd heard some stories about the fiber optics falling out, but Ive always wanted to give them a shot, so I put them on my G17 and so far... I really like them. Very bright in daylight or pitch black, and no sharp edges.

If you feel up to it do a review, pictures would be nice too! :)

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://youtu.be/mdazKNcghYU
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Return to Handguns