Purchasing handgun in MN

Discussion of handguns

Purchasing handgun in MN

Postby Fjpbody on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi, I'm looking to get into some target shooting, but I'm not familiar with MN's laws on purchasing a handgun. Was hoping I could get some direction here on the steps I'll need to take to buy one. Thanks.
Fjpbody

Purchasing handgun in MN

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Purchasing is simple. Go to your local police station and obtain a purchase permit. Go to the store and find what you like :)

Edit: permit will be sent to your home address in about a week but you have to submit the application in person.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: Purchasing handgun in MN

Postby Vashjir on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Also, the permit is free and once obtained is good for a full year.

The alternative is getting your permit to carry, which also acts as a permit to purchase, and lasts 5 years from date of issue. The carry permit requires a class and (i think) $50, plus the application must be done through your county sherif (not just the city cops).
Vashjir

Postby usnret on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:28 pm

The cost for a permit from the sheriff is up to $100.00.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby cobb on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:45 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:... Go to your local police station and obtain a purchase permit...

That is if you live in the city limits, if rural you go you the county sheriff department.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby tman on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:24 pm

usnret wrote:The cost for a permit from the sheriff is up to $100.00.

To clarify, the permit to purchase is FREE. The Permit tho Carry may cost up to $100.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby linksep on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:44 am

In summary, the permit to purchase (good for 1 year) is $0. (And about 5-7 days from the local PD)
Permit to carry (and purchase) is good for 5 years and is $90-$150 class fee to independent instructor, plus (probably) $100 to the sheriff, and takes X-days until you can take an accredited class, then an additional 10 to 30(+) days for the county Sheriff to approve and mail the permit to you.

If you're in a hurry (and have a legit reason) you can possibly get an "emergency" permit to purchase in a business day or three from the local PD (or county sheriff if rural). If you're not in a particularly urgent situation I would recommend the permit class to learn about MN laws and get a 5-year permit.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:23 am

Either permit is only required though for either handguns or those that meet the state definition of assault rifle.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Citiot on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Slightly off topic. I did a freedom of information request for records about me at the local PD for the heck of it. In it was my permit to purchase, but it was characterized as an incident.

Seems like this is a good way to build up a database of possible gun owners. I did hear a couple of times on the police scanner words to the effect of "multiple calls for service that address, domestic disputes, address has permit to purchase..."

I thought records of gun permits are supposed to be purged after the permit has expired... in this case, one year.

I went on to get my permit to carry so I'm not sure if there is a similar "incident" with the county sheriff.
Citiot

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:55 pm

Citiot wrote:Slightly off topic. I did a freedom of information request for records about me at the local PD for the heck of it. In it was my permit to purchase, but it was characterized as an incident.

Seems like this is a good way to build up a database of possible gun owners. I did hear a couple of times on the police scanner words to the effect of "multiple calls for service that address, domestic disputes, address has permit to purchase..."

I thought records of gun permits are supposed to be purged after the permit has expired... in this case, one year.

I went on to get my permit to carry so I'm not sure if there is a similar "incident" with the county sheriff.

Bear in mind that the computer systems some PDs use are fairly old and crude. Using an 'incident' may be the only way they have of recording something electronically. When all you have is a hammer everything starts to look like a nail. The situation definitely could lead to the related records issues you mention, of course. I'm just saying that the original reason for the record might not be done for bad intentions.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Agree that most local institutions have no bad intentions. But would bet my sweet patootie that nationally, an effort to collate every scrap of evidence showing who might have what, has been ongoing for a long time. With what success I couldn't say, but the recent revelations of the NSA's abilities to record info on every single cell call makes monitoring firearm sales, transfers and permissions look like small potatoes IMO.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:17 pm

I have no doubt anything gun related is recorded and maintained, as well as anything else that can be recorded. Wasn't aware you could do a request of yourself under the freedom of information act. Would be curious if you can do one at the federal level.
Bearcatrp

Purchasing handgun in MN

Postby tman on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Records can be maintained which support the permit or a denial.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Citiot on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:I have no doubt anything gun related is recorded and maintained, as well as anything else that can be recorded. Wasn't aware you could do a request of yourself under the freedom of information act. Would be curious if you can do one at the federal level.

Police records are easy, they have a form. But, I added a letter to the form something along the lines of "all records, electronic, paper or otherwise, officer's notes, images and similar." I also added that if they couldn't provide the information that they need to provide a reason why.

You don't have to even give your name. You can get reports on anyone you want. They may restrict some things like juvenile records or anything about an active investigation.

Re: Federal, I think you can do it, but they may charge you costs, etc.

I'm rather boring so nothing interesting was on record.

I also did a request to see who accessed my DL records (there was a big stink about an attractive female police officer who had her DL and picture accessed by hundreds of state employees so they made a process to see who accessed your records). Only thing of note was that my record was pulled by someone in an obscure county's sheriff department. Coincidentally, my brother in law is a deputy in that county..... hmmmm... cyberstalking?.... something to whisper to him when he's being a dink.
Citiot

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Citiot wrote:I also did a request to see who accessed my DL records (there was a big stink about an attractive female police officer who had her DL and picture accessed by hundreds of state employees so they made a process to see who accessed your records).

How is that accomplished?
BigBlue

Next

Return to Handguns