Where is the best place to post a gun for sale for FTF sale?

Discussion of handguns

Re: Where is the best place to post a gun for sale for FTF sale?

Postby MNblockhead on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:This forum for one. I am also trying Armlist right now.

I think I'll post to the marketplace on this forum first and see how that goes.
MNblockhead

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:16 pm

LarryFlew wrote:My bill of sale states what they had for ID and or permit but I do not require or record numbers. It also states they are legal to purchase and own etc so you're covered by their signature which you can check against MN license. As others mentioned you aren't taking copies or pics of my info. Requiring that or FFL likely eliminates potential buyers.

The affirming signature seems like a good idea; it protects the seller, and creates a record of the transaction without invading the privacy of the buyer.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby cobb on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:39 pm

MNblockhead wrote:
cobb wrote:
Bill of Sale.pdf

This is what I use after I check their ID, PTC or PTP.

Have you ever had an issue with people not wanting to write down their permit and DL numbers? From other responses here, it seems that would be an issue for many people.

One person, I told him no sale then, he got mad and also got no handgun from me.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby goett047 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 am

I check ID and PTC of necessary. I don't do a bill of sale, but have signed one when I purchased depending on the deal. I record that the gun was sold and for how much. I don't see the need to record a name and address. It's not legally required.
goett047

Postby MNblockhead on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Another in-between option I'm considering is consignment. Get more than selling to a gun store outright, but they take a cut. Lakes Trading Company does consignments for 18%. They'll handle listing it, photos, shipping, dealing with the buyers, etc.

Has anyone sold this way? Are there places that take a smaller percentage of the sale?
MNblockhead

Postby photogpat on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:00 pm

What are you selling? A Glock 42? You'll lose ~$75 if you run consignment.

Consignment really only works for upper end guns, or for someone with no clue how Armslist, Facebook or here works.
Last edited by photogpat on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:20 pm

If you're nervous just pay an FFL to do the transfer, $20-$30 for the peace of mind isn't a bad play IMHO. Advertise in Armslist and be prepared for some idiocy, but you'll have better luck than the local marketplace which gets MUCH less traffic.
yuppiejr

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 pm

xd ED wrote:Most gun ranges won't want private sales occuring on their premises, however most are also FFLs.

This is what some people don't understand. Ranges or gun stores with an FFL can catch a lot of heat, even lose their license, if they allow firearms sales on their property that don't follow ATF regulations. In Minnesota, a firearms transfer in an establishment that has an FFL, that doesn't involve a NICS check and recording into that FFL's bound book, is illegal under Federal law. Even if it is a private transaction that doesn't involve an employee of the FFL holder.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby MNblockhead on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:42 pm

yuppiejr wrote:If you're nervous just pay an FFL to do the transfer, $20-$30 for the peace of mind isn't a bad play IMHO. Advertise in Armslist and be prepared for some idiocy, but you'll have better luck than the local marketplace which gets MUCH less traffic.

Can you recommend any FFLs?

The gun shop & range I usually go to charges $60 for a handgun, outgoing. That includes shipping, insurance, and transfer fee. But the place I'm thinking of putting it on consignment includes selling fees and shipping costs, but they also do the create and manage the listing. for a Glock 42, that's probably 65-75. I'm not even sure how they make much money on that, unless they are able to sell it for much higher than what I see Glock 42s going for.

Anyway, I'll try posting for a local FTF sale first and see how that goes. It would certainly be more money in my pocket, assuming I can sell it for near the price I see Glock 42s being listed for on the various online gun marketplaces.
MNblockhead

Postby MNblockhead on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
xd ED wrote:Most gun ranges won't want private sales occuring on their premises, however most are also FFLs.

This is what some people don't understand. Ranges or gun stores with an FFL can catch a lot of heat, even lose their license, if they allow firearms sales on their property that don't follow ATF regulations. In Minnesota, a firearms transfer in an establishment that has an FFL, that doesn't involve a NICS check and recording into that FFL's bound book, is illegal under Federal law. Even if it is a private transaction that doesn't involve an employee of the FFL holder.

Well, glad I didn't try. Thanks for pointing that out. Also glad to have that pointed out here than made to feel like an idiot asking about it on the phone. :oops:
MNblockhead

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:59 pm

FFL in what area? Hard to know until you sell. If west of the cities know 1 that charges $10 transfer and actual priority shipping costs if on line sale.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby MNblockhead on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:04 pm

LarryFlew wrote:FFL in what area? Hard to know until you sell. If west of the cities know 1 that charges $10 transfer and actual priority shipping costs if on line sale.

I'm in the Northern Suburbs, but general Twin Cities area would be fine.
MNblockhead

Postby karlobag on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 am

Call Jerry Helm, Firing Line Sports, 6008 Heather Dr Ne., Ham Lake, MN 55304 Phone: 763-434-2558 handguner@comcast.net

I think he charges $10.00 for a transfer, but he could have booted up to $15.00 I think he is listed on this site under inexpensive FFL's or some such title. He is a nice guy.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 pm

karlobag wrote:Call Jerry Helm, Firing Line Sports, 6008 Heather Dr Ne., Ham Lake, MN 55304 Phone: 763-434-2558 handguner@comcast.net

I think he charges $10.00 for a transfer, but he could have booted up to $15.00 I think he is listed on this site under inexpensive FFL's or some such title. He is a nice guy.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuppiejr

Postby karlobag on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:48 am

Also, the Anoka Sheriff has established a "safe zone" in their office parking lot, if you want to do a FTF with your buyer. You would have to check other counties, to see what other options may be out there.

https://www.anokacounty.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=370
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns