Nothing like a little walnut to make a good gun look GREAT!

Discussion of handguns

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:05 pm

From the factory:

To:

Now, seeing as the gun comes from Turkey, it turns out the only place that has grips for this gun IS in Turkey. And yes, the website is in Turkish. Not to worry, however, because if you Google KSD grips you will be sent to the Universal Source for everything, namely Amazon, and the price for the grips shown is $62, which is totally fair. Order from Amazon, and the grips will show up like everything else does, but you have to sign for the package stating that no import duty is due. It's that simple!

Now, while taking these pictures, it occurred to me that I also had a Para P14.45 in the safe, so I took that out and took a picture of these two 15 round 45's. Gee, the grip on the SAR looked smaller. So I got out a measuring tape, and by God if the circumference around the grips at the dotted lines WAS different! For the 1911 it was 6.0", and for the K2 it was 5.5". That means the K2 girth is 8% smaller that the hicap 1911. And yes, it IS a difference you can see and FEEL!

While this makes little difference to me seeing a I have ginormous lunch hooks and can hold a DE50 one handed no problem, there are a lot of other people out there who might be able to hold the K2 and not the hicap 1911. I think this has to do with the hipcap 1911 being a modification of the original "Old Slabsides" design, while the K2 was designed this way from the ground up. Considering we're talking 15 round 45 Autos here, this class of guns is a handful!!

Please refer to my other posts for the initial story and absurdly low price for the SAR K2.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Nothing like a little walnut to make a good gun look GREAT!

Postby wrench on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Boy that gun looks great with the walnut on it, Sam. Totally changes the look!
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby ZardozCZ on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:35 pm

I've been trying to avoid dressing mine up, but just lost the will to resist.
ZardozCZ

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:47 am

Not being a "pistol" man and totally accepting that i am a piss-poor pistol shooter, dressing up a pistol with "slick' walnut panels seems asinine to me as it promotes loss of hand grip control of the weapon. I don't have any pistols reserved for display only purposes, so "looking good" does not apply in my case. I admit that the checkered panels do look nice, but not for me considering practicality.

I have a Beretta 92 with smooth walnut panels that the wife bought. She hated the gun. I let her try mine with the rubber grip (CrinsomTrace), and proceeded to lose it to her (I traded out grip panels to keep things correct for us). Those panels look nice, but I don't shoot it very often. I plan on replacing them with a good soft rubber grip panel and then use the pistol for Shooting Steel Plates this year instead of using my Beretta 96 Inox.

Y.M.M.V. :ugeek:
OldmanFCSA

Postby MJY65 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 am

[quote="OldmanFCSA" ........dressing up a pistol with "slick' walnut panels seems asinine to me as it promotes loss of hand grip control of the weapon.[/quote]

For me.....there is very little additional control gained with checkering. The size and shape of the grip has far more to do with it than the surface finish.
MJY65

Postby dleong on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:18 am

Is there a practical reason they couldn't mount the adjustable sight farther to the rear of the slide to take advantage of a longer sight radius? The forward offset of the sight, in my opinion, mars the aesthetics of the slide.
dleong

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:30 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Not being a "pistol" man and totally accepting that i am a piss-poor pistol shooter, dressing up a pistol with "slick' walnut panels seems asinine to me as it promotes loss of hand grip control of the weapon. I don't have any pistols reserved for display only purposes, so "looking good" does not apply in my case. I admit that the checkered panels do look nice, but not for me considering practicality.

I have a Beretta 92 with smooth walnut panels that the wife bought. She hated the gun. I let her try mine with the rubber grip (CrinsomTrace), and proceeded to lose it to her (I traded out grip panels to keep things correct for us). Those panels look nice, but I don't shoot it very often. I plan on replacing them with a good soft rubber grip panel and then use the pistol for Shooting Steel Plates this year instead of using my Beretta 96 Inox.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. In addition, you are the ONLY person who has hands bigger than mine at 6'8' and 3 bills plus, and so WTF difference does it make what the grips are made of when the WHOLE grip of the gun in encased in your hand?? Where in hell can the damn grip move to, and it's only a plain old 45 at that!! Sheesh!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:32 am

dleong wrote:Is there a practical reason they couldn't mount the adjustable sight farther to the rear of the slide to take advantage of a longer sight radius? The forward offset of the sight, in my opinion, mars the aesthetics of the slide.

Sorry, but I no spika da Turkish, so I can't give you an answer.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby hammAR on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:04 am

Nothing like wood to make you gun look good...................
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby ZardozCZ on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:30 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Not being a "pistol" man and totally accepting that i am a piss-poor pistol shooter, dressing up a pistol with "slick' walnut panels seems asinine to me as it promotes loss of hand grip control of the weapon... I admit that the checkered panels do look nice, but not for me considering practicality.

My factory grips cracked. I can buy new ones that will crack or try something else. Someone makes plastic ones, but plastic is slipperier to me than wood.
ZardozCZ

Return to Handguns