J frames

Discussion of handguns

Re: J frames

Postby prushin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:42 pm

I had an M85 that experienced the indexing issue. I finally replaced the crappy MIM cylinder stop...and sold it to Ttousi.

I have a 905 that I love. Zero issues and I didn't have to buy speed loaders for it. I can shoot and carry the same loads I use in my G19 very comfortably.

I'm on the fence about waiting for Taurus to make a .45 or buying a Charter Arms Pitbull.
prushin

J frames

Postby INOR on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Picked it up at BPR today. I immediately ran a box of 50 .38 through it. And then ran five rounds +p. Holy cow! +p ammo is stout! Had fun shooting it. This one will be a learning experience! Need to get used to the sights and the trigger on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

J frames

Postby INOR on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Oh...and by the way...the HKS speedloaders suck. Don't work at all on the 642.

INOR

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:51 pm

INOR wrote:Oh...and by the way...the HKS speedloaders suck. Don't work at all on the 642.

Is it a matter of the grip interfering? If not, you may have been sold the wrong size. I don't know for sure about the 5-shooters, but for 6-shot revolvers there's more than one size due to different diameter cylinders. My used Ruger GP100 came with a Safariland speedloader that barely worked, and I finally found it it was the wrong model.
Pat Cannon

Postby westhope on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 pm

My 5 shot HKS speedloaders (size 36) fit my S&W 442 (black 642) with the standard boot grips fine.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

J frames

Postby INOR on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 am

As for the speedloader, it's mostly operator error. It works but it is tight and technique makes a difference. Have been practicing using the speedloader at home. It does rub too much against the grip though.

INOR

J frames

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Have had this 642 for a bit now. Have shot it a few times and pocket carried it a fair amount. Today, I pulled it out of its holster and the thumb release for the cylinder fell off. Thankfully I found the cap screw for the threaded post that it mounts to but that's annoying.

Is this a common issue with revolvers? Any recommendations on a loctite type product to put on and how to apply it properly?

INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I've had my 642 for about 7 years now, not all day daily carry, but definitely weekends and after work and no issues at all.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Did some googling. Apparently not an uncommon thing. Some suggested putting really lightweight loctite on it or even just a drop of clear nail polish on the threads is enough to retain it.

This one isn't always my out and about carry, but definitely carry it more than I thought I would. Just so easy to grab and drop it in the front pocket of my jeans. Oh, and I've decided that I like speed strips much better than speedloaders. More convenient for carry than having a bulky speed loader or two in the pocket.
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

I agree on the speed strips, but they take some practice to be anything close to "speed" strips..............
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Purple Loctite should fit your need for light thread locking . Blue, would also fit the need. I use blue, on my scope rings and mounts. Don't use Red, it normally requires heat when disassembling.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

J frames

Postby INOR on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Looking for other holster options for the 642. Have just used a pocket holster thus far. But now wanting to try an iwb with it. Not much for options in kydex iwb for this gun. Mostly leather and synthetics. Any recommendations?

Also have never tried ankle holster of any variety.

INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:57 pm

I think you would use an ankle holster less than you think even though you think you need it. I bought one and haven't really found an occasion to use it. They take some getting used to. My opinion is that a belly band would be mure useful. If you venture into ankle holster territory, get one with the calf garter. I didn't and i couldn't get used to the feeling that it was going to come loose and I'd end up kicking it down the street. Sideguard roughout pocket, uncle mikes cheap pocket, anklle rig or owb desantis pancake are my choices.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

J frames

Postby INOR on Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Yeah I think I’d probably feel the same about the ankle option.

INOR

Postby Bessy on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 am

Shooting J Frame quickly and accurately can be tricky, it's basically an experts weapon.
Trigger pull is long and heavy, it reloads slowly... recoil is hard to manage well.

One thing I've found that works well, is to insert your trigger finger MUCH farther than you normally would. Basically you want to be pulling the trigger with the pad between your first and second finger joints.
This allows you to quickly stage the trigger. You pull quickly until the tip of your trigger finger impacts the frame of the gun. At that point you are in a place where you can more slowly squeeze off a shot in a timely manner.
Works like a boss.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns