Appraisal of Mauser C96 "Broomhandle"

Discussion of handguns

Re: Appraisal of Mauser C96 "Broomhandle"

Postby rtk on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:34 pm

You could talk to Larry at Gunstop in Minnetonka, I think he knows a big Mauser WW2 collector.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:18 pm

crbutler wrote:The ones I have dealt with in the past-

Ahlman’s
Cabelas (Owatonna, but I’m sure the metro one can… but since Bass pro got involved, not so much so)

I’m more a buyer, not a seller, but those along with Bill’s were where I have brought collectable guns.

Bill’s I had bad experiences with, so no longer on the list.

Thank you. I did send an email to the individual mentioned above. I appreciate your willingness to help.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Lumpy on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder why having outside-the-handle magazine pistols never caught on more widely. Okay, so not as easy to holster; but people with smaller hands might appreciate being able to shoot larger calibers without grip difficulty.
Lumpy

Postby Vlad on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:38 pm

What about Puglisi guns in Duluth?
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:18 pm

Lumpy wrote:Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder why having outside-the-handle magazine pistols never caught on more widely. Okay, so not as easy to holster; but people with smaller hands might appreciate being able to shoot larger calibers without grip difficulty.

I think they actually caught on in a big way. Especially after the arm braces came out ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Ironbear on Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:02 am

Lumpy wrote:Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder why having outside-the-handle magazine pistols never caught on more widely. Okay, so not as easy to holster; but people with smaller hands might appreciate being able to shoot larger calibers without grip difficulty.

A long time ago, I read an article on the development of the Uzi submachine gun. One of the design principles was the idea that "hands-find-hands" and a magazine in the grip made it much easier to reload instinctively, under adverse conditions. Also, most anyone carrying a pistol instead of a rifle, is doing so because they are more compact and easier to carry. I don't think I've ever seen an outside-the-handle-magazine pistol that I would consider "compact". If you get a big enough size bump... you just add a stock and call it a carbine or a submachine gun.

OTOH. I suppose you could call a revolver an outside-the-handle-magazine pistol.... and I think those did catch on a bit! :D
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby crbutler on Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:26 pm

Ahead of the grip magazines make the weapon longer/larger. That makes the gun less concealable and heavier.

If you do that, it makes them balance further forward of the grip as well. Too much weight/size forward makes the weapon difficult to aim accurately.

Some of the Olympic free pistols (like the Hammerlis) were separate mag and grip more recently.

That does result in reduced cycling mass.

Recoil characteristics change as well.

Essentially, they get too large to use effectively one handed as cartridge intensity goes up.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Soooo.....

AR pistol.jpg
AR pistol.jpg (23.9 KB) Viewed 4949 times
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:36 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Soooo.....

AR pistol.jpg

How many of those do you see being used for CCW?

How many users of those shoot them one handed and can hit the broadside of a barn?

I use one as a deer gun, but I can’t hit squat with it without a rest.

The ATF is pissed because so many claim it’s a way around the SBR rules… maybe that has something to do with their popularity?
crbutler

Postby Lumpy on Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:45 pm

Maybe something closer to a TEC-9* in size and weight rather than a Draco or AR-pistol

*not an endorsement of the TEC-9 itself.

Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:53 pm

This was the question. I think I proved that they did catch on in a pretty big way.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:54 pm

crbutler wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Soooo.....

AR pistol.jpg

How many of those do you see being used for CCW?

How many users of those shoot them one handed and can hit the broadside of a barn?

I use one as a deer gun, but I can’t hit squat with it without a rest.

The ATF is pissed because so many claim it’s a way around the SBR rules… maybe that has something to do with their popularity?

There are many handguns that are way too big to CCW, that doesn’t disqualify them as a popular arm.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Handguns