Cap and ball pistols?

Discussion of handguns

Cap and ball pistols?

Postby Lumpy on Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:18 pm

At first I thought this YouTube was a joke- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjK8_KCy2Ow but is it true that cap and ball pistols are legally considered antiques or antique reproductions and so bypass the legal restrictions on handguns?
Lumpy

Re: Cap and ball pistols?

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:51 pm

You do not need to go through an FFL, as with any muzzle loader, if that is what you ask.
Rowdy Roddy

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Rowdy Roddy wrote:You do not need to go through an FFL, as with any muzzle loader, if that is what you ask.

Subd. 3.Antique firearm. "Antique firearm" means any firearm, including any pistol, with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, manufactured before 1899 and any replica of any firearm described herein if such replica is not designed or redesigned, made or remade, or intended to fire conventional rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition, or uses conventional rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

In MN it is an Antique firearm by definition. Now if you buy one of those conversion cylinders to fire .45 Colt.....
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:12 pm

I have worked at a couple of outdoor retailers.

During the start of the firearms sales boom and all through it people were amazed that they could not just walk in and leave with a handgun or a long gun for that matter. People were mad that they needed the permit to purchase and also that they were getting denied or delayed on the NICS check. It is not like it is portrayed in the MSM, on TV, or in political ads.

A few realized they could buy a cap and ball pistol. Many looked to bear spray, pepper gel and spray, or knives.

I let people know the advantages and disadvantages. People still did whatever they wanted and purchased what they could get immediately.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:05 pm

hard h2o wrote:I have worked at a couple of outdoor retailers.

During the start of the firearms sales boom and all through it people were amazed that they could not just walk in and leave with a handgun or a long gun for that matter. People were mad that they needed the permit to purchase and also that they were getting denied or delayed on the NICS check. It is not like it is portrayed in the MSM, on TV, or in political ads.

A few realized they could buy a cap and ball pistol. Many looked to bear spray, pepper gel and spray, or knives.

I let people know the advantages and disadvantages. People still did whatever they wanted and purchased what they could get immediately.

As people typically do.
Holland&Holland

Return to Handguns