Handgun sights recommendations

Discussion of handguns

Handgun sights recommendations

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:06 pm

You know on some rifle scopes, you have to be directly behind the scope to see the crosshairs to shoot your target? Do they make a pistol sight that does similar? Have a SA XDm 4.5 that has always given me issues siting in. Don't have this issue with my 2 full size 1911 using just the sites. Before they started coming out with slots for red dots, I had a smith put a rail on mine. Cannot get accurate at all. When I had the regular sights on it, same thing. Doesn't matter on ammo either. Sure I can get inside 1 10 inch target but at 20 feet, this is lame. Heck, my 2 compacts shoot great within a 3 inch target at 20 feet. Tempted to sell it but I like the large ammo capacity. So, are there any pistol sites like a rifle scope I mentioned? BTW, this is a 40 S&W pistol like my 2 compacts. Appreciate any suggestions.

Just to add, I had a SA XDm in a compact that shot great like my 2 compacts I have now. Sold it to fund the current SA XDm.
Bearcatrp

Re: Handgun sights recommendations

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:21 pm

Think I will try one of these…..
https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/liberator-II#reticle
Has 4 different reticles. Looked at some scopes for pistols but no way I’ll put one on a semiautomatic. Not that expensive. Hope it helps.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:00 pm

There are currently tons of red dot options for pistols. That would seem to be the most appropriate for what you are looking for however with everything you have tried with irons, I doubt this is really the solution. Sound more like it is issues with the tolerances in the pistol itself.
Holland&Holland

Postby 870TC on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:52 am

I would shoot the gun with open sights - but from a secure bench....see if the gun will group prior to pouring money down the rabbit hole. Can anyone else get it to group?.
870TC

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:04 am

One big problem is the high blood pressure. Can watch the red dot move while I'm trying to aim. Already ordered the swamp fox liberator to try. If it doesn't help, I will put it on a shotgun. Its on its way so once I mount it, will head back to the range to see what happens. Thanks folks.
Bearcatrp

Postby crbutler on Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 pm

I don’t think reducing your eyebox area is going to help you. (Trying to find a sight that makes you be in only one place to see the reticle)

A red dot will reduce the issues from short sight radius.

If the sight is jumping around too much, that’s not a sight problem. Most BP meds actually reduce the heart rate and tremor. Beta blockers are actually prohibited for high level competition because of this reason.

Get a red dot that gives you a clear reticle, shoot from a rest, and see. If the accuracy is still really bad, try a different person shooting and then try a different sight. Some problems to check include a loose mount (make sure it’s properly mounted with the right torque settings per the manufacturer) and that the specific sight unit is not broken.

I’ve had bad sights, I’ve had gremlins in the mounting of sights, and I have had days where I can’t shoot for sour owl jowls.

The last place I’d look is poor barrel lock up- generally the gun is unreliable if you’ve got a poor lock up repeatability.
crbutler

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:39 pm

The Burris fast fire III is on tight so that’s not the issue. Didn’t think a pistol barrel could be an issue being short. Functions fine without any issues. Will try one more time with the new optic coming in. Supposed to be a match barrel being a XDm. Could consider ordering another barrel so will look into that.
Bearcatrp

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:36 pm

I had a first year XD 45 that I couldn’t ever shoot very well. On occasion I’d bump fire a second shot. I struggled with it for about 6 years. It was scary when I was shooting competitive shooting and tossed an extra round down range. I came to the conclusion that the grip was not working for me, too large. Traded it for a 1911.
Sorcerer

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:12 pm

Will admit the grip is a little awkward compared to other pistols. May just sell it if the new optic doesnt work out. Love my current 1911's. My EMP 40 S&W came back from SA fixed as it would not lock back after last round. Heavy bitch for a small 1911 but will never sell it. Accurate!
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:24 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:The Burris fast fire III is on tight so that’s not the issue. Didn’t think a pistol barrel could be an issue being short. Functions fine without any issues. Will try one more time with the new optic coming in. Supposed to be a match barrel being a XDm. Could consider ordering another barrel so will look into that.

It is very unlikely to be the barrel, more so the tolerances in how the barrel locks up in relation to the optic or sights. Remember neither are mounted to the barrel.

This is the reason high end hand fitted 1911s came to be a thing. Now modern manufacturing has become very good at tightening tolerances but issues can and do still arise.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm

Went back out again today. Did not use the new optic but put the fast fire III back out but this time used blue locktite on the screw that tightens on the rail. A bit better. Close to zeroing. Dam shoulder was giving me issues. Not healed up from the shoulder surgery about 5 months ago. I’ll keep it for now. Will go back in a month hoping I improve with practice.
Bearcatrp

Return to Handguns