S&W PPK SAFETY RECALL NOTICE!

Discussion of handguns

S&W PPK SAFETY RECALL NOTICE!

Postby justaguy on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:07 am

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... onId=10506

Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire.

This recall applies to all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured by Smith & Wesson from March 21, 2002, until February 3, 2009. The Serial Numbers of the pistol subject to this recall are as follows:

BAB 0010-BAB 9999
BAC 0000-BAC 9999
BAD 0000-BAD 9999
LTD 0000-LTD 0499
PPK 0001-PPK 1500
BAE 0000-BAE 9999
BAF 0000-BAF 9999
WLE 0001-WLE 0459
BAH 0000-BAH 9999
BAJ 0000-BAJ 9999
BAK 0000-BAK 9999
REP 0026-REP 0219
BAL 0000-BAL 5313
BAM 0000-BAM 1320
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Re: S&W PPK SAFETY RECALL NOTICE!

Postby Rodentman on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Thank you for posting this. It's the first I have heard of it. Do you think I should have them look at the barrell/feed ramp seam while it's there?

Sheesh! First the LCP then this one.....

PS New poster here. Not new to guns or forums, however.
Rodentman

Postby ttousi on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 pm

welcome rodentman..........

Generally speaking when a gun goes back for a recall they check everything...never hurts to mention any concerns you have in a written note put in with the firearm.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby nyffman on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Just so happens that a friend of mine, out here in Lake Havasu City was looking at Walther today. He didn't buy it yet, I emailed your post to him. Thanks justaguy. Here is pic of him shooting his old S&W .38.
Jim.JPG
Jim.JPG (97.73 KB) Viewed 3825 times
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Rodentman on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:28 pm

ttousi wrote:welcome rodentman..........

Generally speaking when a gun goes back for a recall they check everything...never hurts to mention any concerns you have in a written note put in with the firearm.

Thanks! I had 2 gunsmiths look at it yesterday. One said it was a problem, the other said don't worry about it. I will put a note in with the shipment to have them look at it.

Fortunately I have other handguns. It would be tough to have only 1 and have it gone for recall...!!
Rodentman

Postby ttousi on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Not sure how you are shipping but squib joe at Bills robbinsdale will handle it for you for 20-25.

Pretty painless way to do it. Even though you can legally ship to the factory you have to jump thru the hoops with the vendors. Should you get a clerk that doesn't know you can ship a (gasp) gun.....
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Rodentman on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:55 pm

When I sent my LCP back to Ruger I got a UPS label from them and had it picked up. Should work the same with S&W I'd guess....
Rodentman

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:52 pm

justaguy wrote:Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire.

Are these standard issue for the Minneapolis PD?
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Rodentman on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 am

Anybody heard from S&W on this yet? I filled out the request for a return label but have heard nothing yet. I suspect there are a lot of guns involved, and I have plenty of others. It certainly looks like the hammer block is funcitoning normally. I wonder how many failures they have actually documented. Surely they are not ALL defective...???
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 am

I just got the UPS label from S&W Thursday so the PPK went back on Friday! I have heard 10-12 weeks for the repair. I put a note in the box for them to look at the feed ramp. Also the grips were cracked when I bought it. I mentioned that too so I'm sure they'll replace them; they're cheap enough. I have custom grips on it, so it's not a big deal really.

Rodentman

Return to Handguns