Walter P22 not firing??

Discussion of handguns

Walter P22 not firing??

Postby goda0301 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:18 am

I have a Walter P22 that i put around 1200 rounds through, so i finally decided to clean it, took the barrel off etc. cleaned it, everything looked fine, took it outside and it fired 6 or 7 round without issue. however it started to misfired, it wouldnt even put a mark on the back of the round at all, and now it wont fire at all. just wondering if anyone has ran it to something like this or has any ideas what i could do before i send it in.

thanks dave
goda0301

Re: Walter P22 not firing??

Postby jac714 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:29 pm

goda0301 wrote:I have a Walter P22 that i put around 1200 rounds through, so i finally decided to clean it, took the barrel off etc. cleaned it, everything looked fine, took it outside and it fired 6 or 7 round without issue. however it started to misfired, it wouldnt even put a mark on the back of the round at all, and now it wont fire at all. just wondering if anyone has ran it to something like this or has any ideas what i could do before i send it in.

thanks dave

I would make sure that I have the firing pin and associated springs installed correctly and that the firing pin channel was clean.

Your firing pin may be hanging up on a piece of grit or gunk (highly technical firearms terms :D ) and not moving. You might try just pushing it in the slide to see if it moves freely.

I am not familiar with the Walther so I can't give you any precise help, but if I had a gun making no marks there is where I would start.

Good Luck.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby 1911fan on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Just a stupid question, it has a firing pin safety, if the safety is down, it will still function, but the round will not be contacted by the firing pin......

I am sure thats not your problem, but someone else at the range said they had just bought it and it was broken, I saw that safety lever was down. I asked to try it, flipped the safety up without telling them and fired three quick rounds, then flipped the safety on again as I handed it back. I said it was definitely not the gun.....after about ten seconds of him CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK I smiled and said sorry I could not resist and showed them the safety.....He thought that down was off. up was on. clearly had been too antsy to shoot to read the booklet.

IF it worked after you put it back to gether, and now no longer does, I would see if some how you did not get the barrel tight, or that something is not allowing the gun all the back into battery. you can use an empty .22 round as a test in the chamber, just look for getting more primer strikes
1911fan

Postby goda0301 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23 am

broke the gun down again, blew it out with air compressor, cleaned it, oiled it, and now it works fine. thanks for the imput, must of had something stuck in it, nice little plinker for 249.99 at scheels 12/20/08 not sure what they go for now a days, but i would recommend one for the money.
goda0301

Postby WWJD on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:43 pm

goda0301 wrote:broke the gun down again, blew it out with air compressor, cleaned it, oiled it, and now it works fine. thanks for the imput, must of had something stuck in it, nice little plinker for 249.99 at scheels 12/20/08 not sure what they go for now a days, but i would recommend one for the money.

Mitty maybe??
WWJD
Stomp on your goolies, abuse Justabullet catcher, make you give up the info right there and then and then save the world.
IF LIFE WAS ONLY THAT EASY, AND JUSTA WASN'T A PLONKER...BLISS!

FU.. Pei Ying Brit...can I pee on your sofa?!!!
WWJD

Postby monschman on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:43 pm

I had a p22, great little fun gun but good christ what a PITFA to field strip and reassemble. I could never get that little clip to come down easily and trying to get the thing back together took twice as long again. I guess i have never removed the barrel as i assumed it was permanently fixed to the frame. 22 pistols can be notoriously finicky for getting sticky firing pins so i usually blasted my slide assembly with some non chlorineated brake cleaner before reassemly and used the lightest smear of oil i could get away with to ensure that no dirt got stuck in with the oil. this gun was my EDC for a period as it was what i had available to me, but i always felt confident with it, i shot it better than everything else i had, it never had a firing problem and it was almost the same manual of arms as my then duty gun, also its size was just about perfect, slim, not too small not too big, it is one of them guns that i regret selling, but i guess we live and learn. Anyway, good luck with it and enjoy it, shoot straight and often, Don
monschman

Return to Handguns