Just got me a new gun III (Baaa. I say Baaaa.)

Discussion of handguns

Just got me a new gun III (Baaa. I say Baaaa.)

Postby meltedeyes on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:58 am

BANG. But I gots teeth now.

I picked up an XD-45 5" at Bill's last week. Sorry, no pics at this time, but most of you know what an XD looks like, and why waste bandwidth for something most people already have seen, right? Right?

Anyway, I've yet to take it out, but I'm going to plan something for next weekend I think, probably in the Maple Grove area if anybody knows of a good place out there. But I'll have to check with my live in anti to find out her plans for that weekend. (and she's more anti carry than anti gun, she's agreed to go to the range with me sometime and have a new experience.)

More about the pistol:

paid $445 for it, got the pistol, the case, and two mags. Nothing else. I already have a holster for it that I bought at The New Thing (Yeah I've been planning this for a while). Got in a minor amount of trouble when I brought it home, but I salved that with the promise to buy her a small kiln so she can make silver jewelry.

Otherwise, I can't think of much more to say about it other than it's a bit big for carry (not that that's stopped me) so I'll be looking at getting a subcompact in the future. And after hitting the range a few weeks back with plblark I also know I want a 1911.

And no weird dreams lately unless you count the one with the weird inverted cone aliens with tentacle-arms holding odd devices...oh, wait. i watched GalaxyQuest last night. Nevermind. No new dreams involving the forum. :)
meltedeyes

Re: Just got me a new gun III (Baaa. I say Baaaa.)

Postby BamBam on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 pm

[quote="meltedeyes"]BANG. But I gots teeth now.

I picked up an XD-45 5" at Bill's last week. Sorry, no pics at this time, but most of you know what an XD looks like, and why waste bandwidth for something most people already have seen, right? Right?

Anyway, I've yet to take it out, but I'm going to plan something for next weekend I think, probably in the Maple Grove area if anybody knows of a good place out there. But I'll have to check with my live in anti to find out her plans for that weekend. (and she's more anti carry than anti gun, she's agreed to go to the range with me sometime and have a new experience.)

More about the pistol:

paid $445 for it, got the pistol, the case, and two mags. Nothing else. I already have a holster for it that I bought at The New Thing (Yeah I've been planning this for a while). Got in a minor amount of trouble when I brought it home, but I salved that with the promise to buy her a small kiln so she can make silver jewelry.

Otherwise, I can't think of much more to say about it other than it's a bit big for carry (not that that's stopped me) so I'll be looking at getting a subcompact in the future. And after hitting the range a few weeks back with plblark I also know I want a 1911.

And no weird dreams lately unless you count the one with the weird inverted cone aliens with tentacle-arms holding odd devices...oh, wait. i watched GalaxyQuest last night. Nevermind. No new dreams involving the forum. :)[/quote

With My wife, she went from eewww guns are dangerous, "too lets go to the range and shoot once a week" :mrgreen: . The one thing that most changed her was we both took a basic handgun familiarization class, got on the range and did some shooting, it took her a little getting used to the loud noise. We (the wife and I) have made Friday evening our shooting night at Bill's Robbinsdale, Im going to maybe get a membership, this is getting
expensive :|
Keep in mind that if you don't have your carriers permit, you could get into some big doodoo if your caught. I don't have mine yet, thus I can't carry yet :cry: but after the wife get a little more range time , we'll be talking the class together.
Last edited by BamBam on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BamBam

Postby meltedeyes on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:20 pm

BamBam wrote:With My wife, she went from eewww guns are dangerous, "too lets go to the range and shoot once a week" :mrgreen: . The one thing that most changed her was we both took a basic handgun familiarization class, got on the range and did some shooting, it took her a little getting used to the loud noise. We (the wife and I) have made Friday evening our shooting night at Bill's Robbinsdale, Im going to maybe get a membership, this is getting
expensive :|
Keep in mind that if you don't have your carriers permit, you could get into some big doodoo if your caught. I don't have mine yet, thus I can't carry yet :cry: but after the wife get a little more range time , we'll be talking the class together.

I took the class back in June, and got my permit end of August. There was a gap between taking the class and applying as work and the sheriff's office times didn't mesh well. yeah, I got my permit before my pistol.

Bills North is where I usually go as it's the closest to my place.
meltedeyes

Postby someone1980 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:15 pm

meltedeyes wrote:I picked up an XD-45 5" at Bill's last week.

paid $445 for it, got the pistol, the case, and two mags.

I was just at the Gander that opened in Rochester. The 5" XD-45 was $670 or $680. I got mine at Cabela's a while ago on their 20% sale for $480 and that was a great deal.

What did you do to get that so cheap?
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby meltedeyes on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Let's see...I mentioned that it was my last day of work and I needed to treat myself to a present.

I was also with a 6'4" (or so) man walking with a cane who had his shin splintered by an ax in a live steel viking battle reenactment in Russia a couple months ago...and is a story all in itself.

But I think the real deal was the fact that it was a display model of some sort. I was told it had probably never been fired, but lots of hands played with it, racking the slide ans such. I also only got the case, the gun, 10rd and 13rd extended mags. None of the XD gear. I didn't do any negotiating, 445 was what the tag said.

I was playing the patience game and waiting till I found a price I liked. Put a kink in some plans I had (namely a "hey everybody I'm going to be at x range at y time and am interested in firing r,s,t guns.") and now I have to buy expensive jewelry making equipment for the GF.)
meltedeyes

Postby someone1980 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:33 pm

Ah! Gander tried to sell me one of those for full price. Actually my first pistol. So many people had touched it that the finish was starting to wear off. That was back when they were still using that crappy finish. They use good stuff now.

Have a good time with it, it is a great pistol!
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby meltedeyes on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:52 pm

someone1980 wrote:Ah! Gander tried to sell me one of those for full price. Actually my first pistol. So many people had touched it that the finish was starting to wear off. That was back when they were still using that crappy finish. They use good stuff now.

To be honest, I'm not sure which finish this one has. I'm hoping it's the good one. I suppose it might be possible to find out using the serial number.

I've already fired similar, and am looking foreward to taking this one out for the first time here in the next couple weeks.
meltedeyes

Postby someone1980 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:54 pm

They stopped using the bad stuff one year ago (1.5 years maybe?). Never know how long it has been sitting there, I guess.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby rucker on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:55 pm

meltedeyes wrote:
someone1980 wrote:Ah! Gander tried to sell me one of those for full price. Actually my first pistol. So many people had touched it that the finish was starting to wear off. That was back when they were still using that crappy finish. They use good stuff now.

To be honest, I'm not sure which finish this one has. I'm hoping it's the good one. I suppose it might be possible to find out using the serial number.

I've already fired similar, and am looking foreward to taking this one out for the first time here in the next couple weeks.

All of the .45 caliber XDs are melonite.
rucker

Postby plblark on Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:25 am

at that price and with those accessories, it's a decent bet that it's refurbished. IIRC, they were announcing that they had great prices on factory refurbished XD's at the shooter's show.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 pm

The Springfields aren't really refurbs, they're sales sample guns from the Springfield Armory vault. Most are in "like new" condition and they all have a full lifetime warranty. We still have a bunch .. XDs in all flavors (some under 400 bucks) and some 1911s as well.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby meltedeyes on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:37 am

Mmmmmm, 1911s....what are they going for if I may ask? i am debating on wether I should get a 1911 or something smaller for more concealable carry.
meltedeyes

Postby BamBam on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:33 am

meltedeyes wrote:Mmmmmm, 1911s....what are they going for if I may ask? i am debating on wether I should get a 1911 or something smaller for more concealable carry.

Blackeagl Got his Springfield 1911 at the show and paid $450 I think
BamBam

Postby BlackEagl on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:30 am

BamBam wrote:
meltedeyes wrote:Mmmmmm, 1911s....what are they going for if I may ask? i am debating on wether I should get a 1911 or something smaller for more concealable carry.

Blackeagl Got his Springfield 1911 at the show and paid $450 I think

Yeah, $450.. but it was a consignment gun.. Looked like it was hardly fired at all tho..
BlackEagl

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:30 am

meltedeyes wrote:Let's see...I mentioned that it was my last day of work and I needed to treat myself to a present.

Are you between jobs, or did you retire and decide to go out with a bang?? If it's the latter, congratulations!! I got 15 months and 7 days left at Mother******, Manufacturing, and Mining, but who's counting??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Next

Return to Handguns