Looking for a .22 for my wife

Discussion of handguns

Re: Looking for a .22 for my wife

Postby rugersol on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:05 am

Jest a couple thoughts ...

Not sure why a Neos would be big in her hands Image ... but this'd make an excellent "transition" piece to something similar in 9mm ...

12rd+1 .22lr

Fer a revolver, this one's not nearly as cheap at a Taurus 94 (had one) ... fer good reason ...

8rd .22lr

also, this 6rd .327 can be loaded with .32 S&W, fer fun ...
... to bad they don't make a Montado, in this!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Thunder71 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:32 am

rugersol wrote:Not sure why a Neos would be big in her hands Image

It's not, it's just a long handgun.

Beretta U22 Neos - .22 by Frig Enai Photography, on Flickr
Thunder71

Postby Wiscosotan on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:18 pm

futbol79 wrote:@ Wiscosotan - How is the trigger pull on that revolver? Sounds interesting, and a possible option for my wife also.

I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers, but I bought it brand new about a month ago. The DA pull is heavier than my Beretta 92FS that has had quite a few rounds through it. The SA pull is slightly lighter. I also have an older Taurus 905 9mm revolver, and its DA pull is comparable to the Beretta.

The important thing is that my wife really likes it and is more willing to go shooting with me now that she has it.
Wiscosotan

Postby 2in2out on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 am

I'm glad to see that so many people like the Walther P22 - something I have had an eye on for quite a while, thinking as a Christmas or birthday present for my wife.

She'd probably want a Ruger MkIII if it weren't for the fact that I already have a MkII 22/45. She likes shooting that better than just about anything else she's tried, but I already have it and she knows she can borrow it any time. She wants something different for "her" gun.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Bulldawg on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 am

You may want to look at the Bersa Thunder 22 also...my wife loves mine and it is a great shooter too.
Bulldawg

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 am

I shot a P22 at the range last week and it was surprisingly nice, same ergonomics and controls as the PK380. My wife really likes my Browning Buckmark Camper, great trigger/grip angle, no recoil, accurate...
yuppiejr

Postby Gustavs01 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 am

I got my wife a Taurus Tracker Model 990ss4, Pretty nice of a gun but heavy trigger pull, She wasn't to happy with the pull after a while so I got her a Pink Sig Sauer Mosquito, And We've been having nothing but issues since we bought it, FTF FTE and just plain lock ups, I've sent it back twice now (went out Monday after this past weekends DPMS zombie shoot) for the same issues. So for the price of the Sig, I'd almost say stay away from those,
Μολών λαβέ
Gustavs01

Postby ammosponge on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 pm

look for a bersa(firestorm) thunder .22 they are both the same firearm, just marketed differently...you get the walther look, at half the price, that way, if she doesn't like it, you aren't out much. they run 225 and up when they show up on gunbroker, i think thunderjohn was advertising the bersa variant a few days ago on armslist.
ammosponge

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 am

Smith and Wesson makes a m&p in. 22lr. Looks like a neat gun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby plblark on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Smith and Wesson really dropped the damn ball on the M&P 22 pistol
They SHOULD have made a mag / Slide replacement like the Glocks, 1911's, and Sigs have

Instead they made a gun that has a safety, DOESN'T have the grip inserts, etc... I want a gun that will feel as close as possible to my carry and competition gun as possible. My stuff doesn't have a safety and I use the large palm swell. Oh well, saved me some money :-(
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rugersol on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:31 pm

plblark wrote:Smith and Wesson really dropped the damn ball on the M&P 22 pistol

HA! ... NOT EVEN CLOSE to how badly Sig dropped the ball ... shoulda offered a .22 top-end fer the P238 when it was first introduced! ... STILL waiting! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby mnglocker on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Wiscosotan wrote:+1 on the Taurus 94. Bought one for my wife as she prefers revolvers for their simplicity, and she wanted a .22 for the low recoil. Capacity isn't so much an issue, as it holds 9 rounds, and I picked up a couple speedloaders for it as well.

It's a heavy pull that can't be lightened without losing reliable primer strikes while shooting DA. The timing also leaves a little something to be desired.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby blizzard on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I want to get a Walther P22 because its so similar to the PK380 I own, however IMO there isn't a better .22 pistol than the Browning Buckmark.
blizzard

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 pm

As it turns out, she likes the Neos... I guess my assumptions were wrong after all. Guess I was getting a little too ahead of myself in pursuit of another gun for the collection.

Gonna hold off on it, but thanks for all the recommendations.

For what it's worth though, for anyone looking - the Neos is a great firearm! Accurate, easy to shoot, easy to take down and clean, etc. There's a shorter barrel version than the one I got, which I originally purchased for a local .22 shooting club over the winter months and for cheaper plinking at the range.
Thunder71

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Thunder71 wrote:As it turns out, she likes the Neos... I guess my assumptions were wrong after all. Guess I was getting a little too ahead of myself in pursuit of another gun for the collection.

Now how about a carbine kit for it?

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns