Carry gun suggestions requested

Discussion of handguns

Re: Carry gun suggestions requested

Postby Erud on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:16 am

My advice would be to do your research and narrow down to a few models. To to a store that carries the models you have narrowed your search down to and handle them all. Dry fire them and decide which you like best. Go home and order it through your distributor. If you don't love it, sell it. Like you said, re-selling is easy and with FFL prices you probably won't lose much if anything. It'll probably be cheaper than renting guns at Bill's after you buy their ammo. As you are probably noticing, when you ask a question like this on the internet, 90% of those responding will just tell you to buy whatever it is they have. Is everybody here carrying the "best"? Some of them have lots of experience with a lot of different makes and models and can make a pretty well-qualified recommendation, but most don't. Hard to tell them apart on the web. I say you're better off figuring this one out for yourself.
Erud

Postby wildfan1 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:50 am

You make some good points Erud, but that is kind of what I wanted, to see what people had to say about their preferred gun. I've gotten great feedback on this thread, its been very helpful and insightful.
wildfan1

Postby Rem700 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 am

wildfan1 wrote:The 26 and Shield were my leading candidates. What is the difference between the M&P compact and the Shield?

And I may do that, thank you for the offer. When is a good time for you? I am out of work at the moment (medical leave), and am off for another two weeks. Maybe I could run down that way.

M&P Compact is double stack (wider) and has a really god awful trigger. The Shield is single stack, as mentioned above, and has a pretty fantastic trigger. If you feel comfortable with 8 rounds (I certainly do), I would strongly recommend the Shield over the Compact for ease of carry and comfort.[/quote]

I have a older M&P9 4-5yrs old with a home trigger job that is acceptable although I dont carry it.
Is the trigger on the M&P compact noticeably worse then on the standard M&P?
For some reason I have been considering the M&P C or the Shield but not sure.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby EllisW on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Rem700 wrote:I have a older M&P9 4-5yrs old with a home trigger job that is acceptable although I dont carry it.

The Shield has a whole new trigger mechanism, completely reworked from the regular polymer M&P series. Short pull, crisp break and more importantly, a physically and audibly clicking reset. It's really nice.
EllisW

Postby jshuberg on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:27 pm

The M&P Shield is the new black!
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby SSBotanyBay on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 pm

EllisW wrote:
Rem700 wrote:I have a older M&P9 4-5yrs old with a home trigger job that is acceptable although I dont carry it.

The Shield has a whole new trigger mechanism, completely reworked from the regular polymer M&P series. Short pull, crisp break and more importantly, a physically and audibly clicking reset. It's really nice.

Seconded!
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby brado on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:31 pm

M&P Shield or Kahr P9 :)
brado

Postby Snowgun on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Screw the Shield. Go to Bills and just shoot the PPS they have there. JUST SHOOT IT. Most people haven't touched one. Don't get me wrong, the M&P are great competition guns, and make glocks look like those .25 autos you buy at pawn shops, however the trigger on the PPS blows the Shield's (and everything else that is small) away. Then buy the unbelievable PPS package deal that is on this forum right now.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=30445 (Might be too late)

The difference between the Walther and the Shield:

1. The shield has that weird hinge trigger that feels like it's gonna break every time you shoot it. This gives the feeling of creep and stacking in the trigger.
2. The shield has a safety that is completely worthless and very difficult to practically use. Yea, you don't have to use it, but god forbid it accidentally gets turned on.
3. Uses the side button mag release. These can get activated while carrying and cause your mag to unseat. The Walther uses the HK trigger guard type activated by your third finger. A little funny at first, but you will like it once you get the hang of it.
4. Fit and finish of the Walther is top notch. M&P are starting to ship defects due to high demand and because they are trying to keep the pistol inexpensive.
5. THREE different magazines are available to customize the length and feel of the walther's grip, or to change how much print you want to have on a particular day.
6. Walther has customizable backstraps, none on the shield.

I shoot my PPS for BUG matches every once in a while, and it performs great. I really feel I can run it hard and fast and accurate similar to my full sized competition guns.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby wildfan1 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 pm

You sold me Snowgun. The PPS was the dark horse here for me simply due to loving my bro-in-laws P99, the Walther is such a fine gun. I placed an order for the PPS tonight, along with two different holsters, extra mags (came with a 6 and 7, I ordered an extra 7 and 8), and a boatload of ammo, along with misc other cleaning supplies. You are right, that PPS on here was a screaming deal, but it is SPF, so I went with the new. Wholesaler had a pretty good price anyway.

Thanks all for the input!
wildfan1

Postby EllisW on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love my PPS and would recommend it to everyone, but most people won't like the paddle mag release. Hell, I'd like it a lot better with a push button mag release and the Shield is more accessible in that way.

You should still try both of them and pick which one you like best.
EllisW

Postby Snowgun on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm

EllisW wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love my PPS and would recommend it to everyone, but most people won't like the paddle mag release. Hell, I'd like it a lot better with a push button mag release and the Shield is more accessible in that way.

You should still try both of them and pick which one you like best.

The paddle release is something that many people instinctively dislike initially due to the fact that it is different from what they are used to. If they shoot any HK's than this is less of a problem.

The paddle release should be activated using the third finger of the strong/shooting hand, while the trigger finger is indexed on the frame. This not only allows a magazine change with less "juggling" of the gun (sometimes needed for people who's thumbs don't reach the mag button), but also makes an ambidextrous release easier to implement on a firearm, which is something of importance in a legit, defensive weapon that may need to be operated weak or one handed. Plus the paddle release alleviates the issue of the "accidental" mag release found in standard mag release buttons when when the firearm is worn in a IWB rig, or when sitting down in a car, etc.

If one practices with it at all, you will find the paddle release to work naturally. I've gotten to the point where I prefer it to the button release, unfortunately it is not as common of a system.

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Snowgun on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 pm

wildfan1 wrote:You sold me Snowgun. The PPS was the dark horse here for me simply due to loving my bro-in-laws P99, the Walther is such a fine gun. I placed an order for the PPS tonight, along with two different holsters, extra mags (came with a 6 and 7, I ordered an extra 7 and 8), and a boatload of ammo, along with misc other cleaning supplies. You are right, that PPS on here was a screaming deal, but it is SPF, so I went with the new. Wholesaler had a pretty good price anyway.

FWIW, I found that if you VERY CAREFULLY polish the sear surfaces (using tiny felt wheels and jewlers rouge, or 1200 grit sandpaper and gun oil, being very careful to not change any angles and going slow), one can achieve a very smooth 5 lb trigger pull. Also, using a different colored paint (I used bright orange) on the front sight dot really helps it stand out for fast acquisition.

Also, I really like the crossbreed supertuck, and the Desantis Superfly holsters.

Have fun!

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby wildfan1 on Tue May 01, 2012 4:51 am

Snowgun wrote:
wildfan1 wrote:You sold me Snowgun. The PPS was the dark horse here for me simply due to loving my bro-in-laws P99, the Walther is such a fine gun. I placed an order for the PPS tonight, along with two different holsters, extra mags (came with a 6 and 7, I ordered an extra 7 and 8), and a boatload of ammo, along with misc other cleaning supplies. You are right, that PPS on here was a screaming deal, but it is SPF, so I went with the new. Wholesaler had a pretty good price anyway.

FWIW, I found that if you VERY CAREFULLY polish the sear surfaces (using tiny felt wheels and jewlers rouge, or 1200 grit sandpaper and gun oil, being very careful to not change any angles and going slow), one can achieve a very smooth 5 lb trigger pull. Also, using a different colored paint (I used bright orange) on the front sight dot really helps it stand out for fast acquisition.

Also, I really like the crossbreed supertuck, and the Desantis Superfly holsters.

Have fun!

Without being able to try them on, I ordered two Desantis holsters for it. I'll likely have the one I prefer less on sale here shortly, once they arrive and I get a chance to try them both out. :mrgreen:
wildfan1

Postby bri on Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm

I was very comfortable with my G21, so I went with a G26 for daily carry. Even though it's fairly small, I'm still very happy with my accuracy with the baby glock. I like the ability to carry larger capacity, spare mags (like G17 and the always-fun G18 30 rounder). I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the major manufactures, buy whatever feels best in your hand and has a trigger pull that suits you.

I'm looking to add a truly pocketable carry piece in the near future and have been eyeing the Beretta Nano. The yet-to-be-released XD-s looks very appealing in the 45 realm, I don't think it'll suit me for pocket carry, however. I'm going to wait until I can get some hands on it, just to be sure.

Too many nice handguns, too little money. :)
bri

Postby wildfan1 on Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

PPS arrived today. Looking forward to shooting it, but so far....wow, what a difference from the LC9. Not knocking the Ruger at all, I love the guns for the most partm and the LC9 was a great gun too. Just HATED the trigger pull. And it was plenty small for my hand, even with a Hogue Jr installed. The PPS is perfect. Even put the large backstrap on, then took it back off and put the small back on. Its perfect. IF I can shoot anywhere near as good with this as with my BILs P99, I'll be THRILLED.

Thanks again all for the feedback. And as the last posted Bri said....so many guns, so little money.
wildfan1

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns