G19 Grip Reduction

Discussion of handguns

Re: G19 Grip Reduction

Postby PRS on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Do i recommend changing the sights, yes... do i say improve your trigger, of course... but butcher your frame into some tacticool stippled mess, damn right a say bs...
PRS

Postby EJSG19 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm

PRS wrote:Do i recommend changing the sights, yes... do i say improve your trigger, of course... but butcher your frame into some tacticool stippled mess, damn right a say bs...

Spose that means adding a beavertail to a 1911 is dumb too... that would be butchering a frame.

Blanket rules don't usually work too well. Different guns present different mod possibilities. Set the shovel down...
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby shooter115 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm not a Glock fan, but changing the grip size, texture, angle and even adding beavertails to Glock pistols is common among competitive shooters of several disciplines. Saying that making a gun fit you is a bad idea and that you should just learn to shoot it as it came from the factory.....well.....is just dumb. I suppose fitting a shotgun for LOP, cant and drop is foolish too. :roll:
shooter115

Postby shooter115 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm not a Glock fan, but changing the grip size, texture, angle and even adding beavertails to Glock pistols is common among competitive shooters of several disciplines. Saying that making a gun fit you is a bad idea and that you should just learn to shoot it as it came from the factory.....well.....is just dumb. I suppose fitting a shotgun for LOP, cant and drop is foolish too. :roll:
shooter115

Postby PRS on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 am

1. I would never add a beaver tail to a 1911 because i would never buy one without one on it in the first place.... 2. adding beaver tail to a glock? what games do you play that adding a beaver tail is legal? uspsa... nope... idpa... only in one division. oh and changing your grip profile isn't legal either.
PRS

Postby TTS on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 am

PRS wrote:1. I would never add a beaver tail to a 1911 because i would never buy one without one on it in the first place.... 2. adding beaver tail to a glock? what games do you play that adding a beaver tail is legal? uspsa... nope... idpa... only in one division. oh and changing your grip profile isn't legal either.

IIRC, it would be legal in USPSA limited and open classes.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby PRS on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 am

Ha well you got me there... considering you can do anything to your gun in open and damn near anything now in limited, yes it would be legal. And it's always a good idea to make your gun lighter when shooting major.....
PRS

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm

so I can't put the factory beavertail backstrap on my Glock and shoot production? :shock:
Mn01r6

Postby Scratch on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm

EJSG19 wrote:geez, for those of you who the concept of a grip reduction on a Glock is foreign... you need to get out from under your rock.

This has been very popular for avid Glock shooters for many years. It's no secret that many consider the Glock grip to be overly large from the factory. What's wrong with making it more comfortable or more functional to shoot?

Heaven forbid somebody change the grip panels on their 1911, or put one of the Hogue grip condoms on their gun, or pacmayr wrap around grips... etc. Nobody does that...

to say somebody shouldn't customize their gun to their liking is sort of silly, considering almost everyone does it.

but, this is mnguntalk...

+1000!

Besides... It's his gun (the OP) let him do what he wants to it!

BTW, I love my Glock and I have the Hogue grip on it. I'll never take it off.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby PRS on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Gen 4 prod backstrap might be prod legal.... Everything else is not.
PRS

Postby EJSG19 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:26 pm

PRS wrote:Ha well you got me there... considering you can do anything to your gun in open and damn near anything now in limited, yes it would be legal. And it's always a good idea to make your gun lighter when shooting major.....

Certainly the shooting games are the only thing to consider when modifying a gun to fit and shoot better is concerned...

Better go home and remove my night sights...
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby PRS on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:56 pm

sure not every gun is a Gammer gun. I was responding to the comment that a lot of competitors turn their guns into something that comes out of a James yaeger wet dream.
PRS

Postby IDPA Shooter on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm

If someone needs grip reduction, Robar is a go to place for Glocks.

Sent from my HTC One
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

G19 Grip Reduction

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 am

Question - does it actually reduce the width of the grip by making the grip walls thinner? Or simply removing finger grooves does that?

I would think the length of the grip is irrelevant and simply stippling would maintain the same width.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:50 am

gun_fan111 wrote:Question - does it actually reduce the width of the grip by making the grip walls thinner? Or simply removing finger grooves does that?

I would think the length of the grip is irrelevant and simply stippling would maintain the same width.

is mainly reduces the cavity in the backstrap. Walls don't get much thinner. For some the difference is huge.
EJSG19

EJSG19

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns