Which Subcompact, if at all?

Discussion of handguns

Re: Which Subcompact, if at all?

Postby Thunderjohn on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:43 am

Another fan of the Kahr PM9 or CM9.
When I want real small I carry my CW380.
The safety on the Shield is very difficult to accidentally flip on.
But the no safety Shield is out and available.
I also love my XDs and the way it shoots.
It's getting tough to find a favorite with all the nice guns available.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Scratch on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:04 am

gunsmith wrote:The Glock single stack 9mm will be available for Christmas Delivery :)

Are you being serious? Hard to tell online...

What have you heard?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:45 am

Mn01r6 wrote:Remembering to sweep off the safety on a shield in a high stress tenth of a second is something I don't want to have to think about or remember
I am also a 9mm platform guy :)

Agree completely. Not interested in anything with a manual safety. I want my firearms to work the same way every time I draw them without having to think about it. I feel the same way about DA/SA. I'm a big fan of the Walther PPQ, but absolutely no interest in the P99AS, for example.
Hmac

Postby JustinPo on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:49 am

Hmac wrote:
Mn01r6 wrote:Remembering to sweep off the safety on a shield in a high stress tenth of a second is something I don't want to have to think about or remember

Agree completely. Not interested in anything with a manual safety. I want my firearms to work the same way every time I draw them without having to think about it. I feel the same way about DA/SA. I'm a big fan of the Walther PPQ, but absolutely no interest in the P99AS, for example.

So buy the version without a safety, I am either doing that or getting a kahr.
JustinPo

Postby Series 70 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:04 am

I have pocket carried several of the aforementioned guns over the years. My current favorite is the XD-s, but a 442 still gets use in certain pants with smaller pockets. I prefer the XD-s over the Shield because the rear of the slide overhangs the backstrap less, making it easier to extract from the pocket. That, and .45.
Series 70

Postby gunsmith on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 am

Scratch wrote:
gunsmith wrote:The Glock single stack 9mm will be available for Christmas Delivery :)

Are you being serious? Hard to tell online...

What have you heard?

:) Just stirring the pot...I want one. They surely have prototypes being tested now...I am going to bet that they will do a good job of working the bugs out as a major recall will be embarrassing.

It will be the perfect compliment to my G30 which I find impossible to carry.
gunsmith

Postby jdege on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:08 pm

BBeckwith wrote:I'm particular to the Kahr PM9.

Ditto.
jdege

Postby andrewP on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Hmac wrote:Agree completely. Not interested in anything with a manual safety. I want my firearms to work the same way every time I draw them without having to think about it. I feel the same way about DA/SA. I'm a big fan of the Walther PPQ, but absolutely no interest in the P99AS, for example.

Funny, I'm the reverse; I love my P99c AS, but if somebody gifted me a PPQ, I'd probably try to trade it for a full-size P99AS, or use it as a competition gun/range toy only. If it was a PPQ M2, it would definitely get traded off, as I much prefer the Walther/HK "paddle" style mag release to the more common button; it's just easier for me to actuate. Given all that, if I was looking for a subcompact, it'd almost certainly be the Walther PPS, both because I know it's a high-quality, reliable choice, and because it'd have almost the same manual of arms as my P99c (only lacking the decocker button, but otherwise the same).
andrewP

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:24 pm

JustinPo wrote:
Hmac wrote:

So buy the version without a safety, I am either doing that or getting a kahr.

I already have a high-quality, reliable, accurate, 9mm single stack subcompact. My limited experience with the Shield does not persuade me that it's superior for me in any way
Hmac

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 am

I'm not a huge fan of the G42. Can't really warm up to it. I've owned the shield 9mm and it was one of the best subcompact 9mm I ever owned.

For me I can conceal my G19 in a hidden hybrid holster No problem. I do own a Kahr CW380 for pocket carry but never really due to the lack of ammo availability in my area.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby jeffo on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:14 pm

I would like to look at the new ccp,seen in Guns and Ammo. The ultimate 9mm concealed carry pistol stated in the ad.
jeffo

Postby gunsmith on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:26 pm

Shield now available with out thumb safety on side :)

Smith & Wesson has announced that their M&P Shield pistol in .40 S&W and 9mm is now available without the single-sided thumb safety. The company decided to release these new versions after listening to numerous requests by private citizens, law enforcement professionals and firearm retailers.

The M&P Shield without the thumb safety has a slim, lightweight, high-strength polymer frame which is .95 inches in width. It also has an unloaded weight of less than 19 ounces, a 3.1 inch stainless steel barrel, a simple takedown lever, a flat profile slide stop and magazine release.

On top of the barrel sits a 5.3-inch sight radius along with a white dot stainless-steel front sight and a white two-dot stainless-steel rear sight. The M&P Shield also comes with an 18-degree grip angle and a textured backstrap, in addition to an extended trigger guard which enables the end user to use the pistol with or without gloves.

Last edited by gunsmith on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunsmith

Postby Straightshooter on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 am

I went with the Walther pps about 6 months ago, with the right holster there are no excuses not to carry.
Straightshooter

Postby ex-LT on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:54 pm

gunsmith wrote:Shield now available with out thumb safety on side :)

Yep. Thunderjohn said the same thing on July 9
http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51145&view=unread#p519545
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Previous

Return to Handguns