True custom revolver builders?

Discussion of handguns

Re: True custom revolver builders?

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Have a crazy idea surrounding a Ruger Super Redhawk. It would need someone who could rebarrel it in a custom caliber and build a replacement cylinder.

.50 GI?

I was thinking this would be an awesome IDPA revolver. I was imagining starting from a Smith 625, but the Ruger might be better, in terms of having enough metal left over when the cylinder reboring is done. I did the math once on velocity to make power factor with a 300 grain bullet, I think it was 500-something fps. Plus, the main thing: I could actually see the bullet holes.
Pat Cannon

Postby xd ED on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Have a crazy idea surrounding a Ruger Super Redhawk. It would need someone who could rebarrel it in a custom caliber and build a replacement cylinder.

.50 GI?

I was thinking this would be an awesome IDPA revolver. I was imagining starting from a Smith 625, but the Ruger might be better, in terms of having enough metal left over when the cylinder reboring is done. I did the math once on velocity to make power factor with a 300 grain bullet, I think it was 500-something fps. Plus, the main thing: I could actually see the bullet holes.

.50 cal bullet @ 500fps; you could follow it to the target...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:

.50 GI?

Nope, but I admire your thinking. Not ready to share it yet. If it starts to become reality I will share. Right now it is too crazy of a hairbrain idea, but one that I am thinking I can actually realize.
Holland&Holland

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:24 pm

.500 Linebaugh in a Super Redhawk has bin dun befo'. Not much of a competition gun, however :shock:

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Squib Joe wrote:.500 Linebaugh in a Super Redhawk has bin dun befo'. Not much of a competition gun, however :shock:

Technically that is a redhawk in the pic not a super redhawk, but you are correct.

Anybody know the length of a super redhawk cylinder?
Holland&Holland

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:27 pm

It won't work for IDPA if I have to go to a 5 shot cylinder. Whew, I just saved a ton of money.
Pat Cannon

Postby crbutler on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Pat, just imagine how the steel would fall!
crbutler

Postby ex-LT on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 am

xd ED wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:

.50 GI?

.50 cal bullet @ 500fps; you could follow it to the target...

I'm pretty sure you meant to say you could race it to the target, right? 8-)
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:34 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Anybody know the length of a super redhawk cylinder?

1.75"
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Previous

Return to Handguns