getting a .45

Discussion of handguns

Re: getting a .45

Postby Snowgun on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:42 pm

FJ540 wrote: but I won't have a swarz safety, series 80, or an external extractor.

I'm calling you out! Give your reasoning for these three. The first two are obvious to me (and likely similar), but the third one will come off sounding like anecdotal BS I'm guessing. 8-) :D
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby FJ540 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I don't do "safe triggers" and I don't do firing pin blocks. I personally don't trust the design, and personally think it's a solution looking for a problem that given highly probable circumstances could result in a very badly timed malfunction. I'll say it again: it's MY OPINION.

The external extractor is possibly an upgrade if it works right. :shock: But, I think it uglies up the gun. ;) There's also nothing wrong with the internal extractor's, so I'll stick with ones I like.
FJ540

Postby MissouriDave on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Rugersol Said:That said, one of the finest .45acp's ya could ever hope to own (and at a price nearly half of most of these others :o ) ...

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelB ... /5242.html ...

I have one of those. I love it. My boy wants me to give it to him reaaallly bad. They make fine home defense firearms.
MissouriDave

getting a .45

Postby ZardozCZ on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 am

After getting a CZ75B, I jumped on one of the last Glossy Blue CZ97Bs available. Just slightly larger grip than the 75, so I'm counting on training with the 9mm will improve shooting the .45.

I got to shoot a Sig 220, and that was a fine gun, I'd have looked more seriously at it if it were a bit more affordable.
ZardozCZ

Postby XDM45 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:57 am

I carry a Springfield XDm .45ACP with the 4.5" barrel with a 13 round magazine + a spare. Obviously I recommend it because it works for me, but for you? I don't know. Try it and find out. The SR1911 is also a nice gun, tried it, but not a good fit for me, but still a nice gun. I've shot a few Kimbers and loved them all.

My advice is to go to Bill's in Robbinsdale, spend some money trying out a few .45ACPs that you've researched and then find one you like and buy it. Choosing a gun is a really personal thing and we can all advise you until we're blue in the face, but ultimately it's you who will buy and live with the gun, so choose what works best for you. We can advise on the technical and quality nature of guns, but just because it's a great gun in those ways, does not mean that it's a great gun for YOU.

For example, people love Glocks, but I can't stand the things. Great guns in some ways, but absolutely horrible for me. I'll never own one. They just aren't a good fit for me, and I'm not a good fit for them, so we avoid each other and everyone is happy.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby rhodalinsky on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Bought a p220 carry elite dark from gunstop. Got it and love the feel. Though, there were some issues. The frame wasn't right. There was a lip above the trigger in the frame like a disk grinder lifted up too soon. Wasn't huge but I could feel it with my finger. Plus the slide stuck a bit. Wasn't smooth like I thought it should be. Called sig and the rep made it sound like I was being a bit of an issue. Then I sent in pics. I got an email back the next day telling me they want it sent in. The day after the received it I got an email telling me that there were sending me a be gun and replacing the one I sent in.

The phone rep wasn't theist helpfull but after they saw pics they were very responsive.

We'll see when the new one gets here. I asked them to look over the new gun before they send it out.
rhodalinsky

Postby TacticalGunny on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Look into a Kahr CW45. Light, highly concealable, recoil is quit manageable for a 19oz .45 . About to pass the 400 rd mark. Not a single jam or FTF.
"Be advised. I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round in a flea's ass at 200 meters."
TacticalGunny

Postby Big and Tasty on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Second gun I ever purchased was a Ruger P90. Brand new at the time was $399. It is a tank, accurate,and just might be the most reliable weapon I own besides my M1.
"Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help."
Big and Tasty

Previous

Return to Handguns